Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

miles per week goal / miles per workout question
Quote | Reply
im an 80/20 endurance user. all my workouts and dumped in training peaks for me, i just follow along with the plan.

however, i personally was not satisfied with the run mileage. i contacted the coach running the show inquiring about adding in more Z1 runs and he said it was perfectly fine, within reason.

my mpw goal is 30+. sometimes i can get an extra 3 mile easy fun run in here and there for the week to get my mileage up, but sometimes its just not possible for life / workout schedule load.

for the runners out there, is it more preferred to add in short runs here and there to supplement your "core" runs, or is it perfectly acceptable to stretch out the core runs with extra easy miles to get that weekly goal?

this week im going to have 3 runs on the schedule so they will all wind up being longer efforts, 9 miles plus per run to get hit that target.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: miles per week goal / miles per workout question [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:

for the runners out there, is it more preferred to add in short runs here and there to supplement your "core" runs, or is it perfectly acceptable to stretch out the core runs with extra easy miles to get that weekly goal?

this week im going to have 3 runs on the schedule so they will all wind up being longer efforts, 9 miles plus per run to get hit that target.

Given that, I'd add frequency, first. Anyway you can would be fine, and easy 3 off-the-bike or whatever keeps the maintenance cost low. Three runs per week is kinda small. I wouldn't do a 27 mile plan as 3x9. But, if you fill in with 2x3, that would make more sense to me. Eg: 9, 3 recovery, off, 9, 3 as a brick, 9. or whatever. But, then I'd also move a couple miles from 2 of the 9s to the third, to make a long run. 7,3,7,3,11...ish.

Anyway, the point being, frequency first, volume second, intensity third. If you can't tell....I'm a barryP type.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jul 5, 20 19:24
Quote Reply
Re: miles per week goal / miles per workout question [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ya, 80/20 is pretty much barry p. i completely agree with you, and when i can i run 5 times a week with those little easy 3 milers for fillers to get me to 30. i just want to make sure that im not going to be hurting myself long-term by doing 3 big runs a week on occasion with the majority of those miles being super easy Z1 work.

Quote Reply
Re: miles per week goal / miles per workout question [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate missing run days (other than Sunday, which I always take off from any training). Even if it is a few minutes here or there, some running is better than no running. Now, that is problematic, and as the above suggestion mention, it might be more time-efficient to throw in an extra 15 minutes after a ride thereby minimizing change-over time. I would always run a minimum of 15 minutes a day.
Quote Reply
Re: miles per week goal / miles per workout question [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frequency -> volume -> intensity is also lesson 1 of friel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your concern the 3 big days or the eazy zone 1?

I'm also a big believer in desert dude's mantra, "it's hard to go too easy, it's easy to go too hard.". So, the zone1 doesn't worry me at all. Any intensity that let's you get more frequency (and thus volume) is good. I remind myself of this regularly while running along at 9:30 pace.

The pace doesn't bother me. The only 3x frequency does.

I'm singlesport runner at the moment. But, I will do anything to add volume. I walk, I run stupid slow, I run short, etc. Maybe I start with 2 walk, 7 moderate, 3ez. Then Maybe that becomes 9 tempo at lunch, and I do 2.5 ez after dinner. Next week, it's 10 tempo and 4 ez. Then it's 10 tempo and 6 z2. Build, build, build.

Anything that builds the resilience to come back in 12 / 24 hours and do it again... Then add more and do it again is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh no, i’m not worried about it being zone 1. the vast majority of my running is 1 and 2 and i’m good with that. the concern is, for this week at least, having to get all that work done in 3 sessions versus the usual 5 sessions i shoot for.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the level 3 HIM plan and I'll add a 30 min run every once in a while to get me up to 30 miles.

Last week was an easier week with 2 runs of 8 and 11 miles, I was carrying a lot of fatigue so I only did those two runs and didn't add any more. I'm happy I did that because today I feel really good and shed that fatigue. Now I feel good about hitting it again for the next few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for frequency.

Even getting 20 min run in is valuable. Maybe not the most efficient (when factoring I’m getting ready before and showering up after), but valuable.

I would do this before extending your longer runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30 minutes or 5K is Slowtwitch recommended minimum, per 2019-20 ST 100/100 Airing of Grievances

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: miles per week goal / miles per workout question [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
30 minutes or 5K is Slowtwitch recommended minimum, per 2019-20 ST 100/100 Airing of Grievances
and that has been my arbitrary minimum as well. i have an out and back route that is exactly 3 miles / 30 minutes.

Quote Reply