Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

masters special needs
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I wanted to expand on the recent article here. I'm doing a poll and considering writing on the special needs and training for masters. If you are 45 or older and would be so kind as to share your thoughts on the 3 to 5 most important aspects of training for you, I would appreciate it.

Tom

Quote Reply
Re: masters special needs [tpolitzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, It's an evolving thing, training that is, especially post 45. Another factor is the length of ones' career in endurance sports. If you have "fresh legs" then the issues many of us life long athletes face are quite different. I still need to get sufficient hours of training in every week or I just don't have the full tank necessary for an Ironman or 1/2. Shorter disatances on the other hand are definietly going to require more intensity. Trying to do both well simultaneously, is very near impossible. Another important thing I find is the need to periodize the season so I don't burn out. It's pretty hard to keep up a high training/racing load for months on end. Something has to give. I watch my diet more closely, and have become brutally honest with myself about recovery needs and nip any niggling injury in the bud immediately. You should attempt to get the thoughts of some of the Super Masters that have been at it a long time and still produce great results, ie., Kevin Moats (Atlanta), Mac Martin (Pennsylvania) and possibly Joe Bonness (Tampa?). Bonness though has somewhat fresh legs though as he only began doing Ironman races after 40. Granted he's done a ton of them, but let's see how he's feeling after another ten years or so at this rate. Moats is my hero, I'd love to hear his secrets. The guy has been going non stop since 1970! Where will we be able to see the results of your work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are my 5:

1. A positive mental attitude. This is the single most important "special need" of an older athlete. As we age, depression can easily creep in. We are racing with men and women who are in their prime while we are all wrinkled, slow, and banged up from all the mistakes we made when we were their age. I could be taking Zoloft or any number of antidepressants, but I find that training hard is the best antidote to depression. Often one needs to simply kick oneself in the ass and get out the door. I.e., just show up! Once you show up at the run or ride or swim, everything else will fall in place. I don't know how many times I've pulled myself out of bed at 4:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning to do my long ride all the time trying to come up with reasons why I shouldn't go. Ultimately, I tell myself they are nothing but excuses. The best reason to go is because I CAN go.

2. Acceptance that being slow is relative and also quite meaningless. Mere participation will keep you robust and enhance your life more than most of lifes' other "enhancements"-like a new Porsche or scoring with the redhead in accounting.

3. A supportive family. If you've supported them all these years, it's time for them to give a little back! :)

4. Stretching.

5. A well-balanced diet, rich in vegetables and fruits.

-Robert

(N.B.: I don't mean to sound like a misanthrope about true clinical depression, which usually requires medications. But triathlon will help immensely.)

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a young master, 53, there are a couple of things I might say

1. Accept the loss of speed gracefully. We have less efficient lungs, less mucsle mass,and less flexability. I just say to mysely when a 30 year old guy blows by, wait 'til he is 50. Of course this rational goes to pot when a 70 year old blows by me!

2. I do need more rest, longer taper and longer recovery than 20 years ago.

3. Diet is just as important as ever. I do pay special heed to my intake of protien and in fact suplement it. At 180 lbs I aim for >100 grams per day.

4. I get regular check ups with the doctor. I keep a keen eye on BP and blood work and body fat.

to me it is a whole package deal, lots of exercise, eat well and keep an eye on the engine. I am hopng that it will lead to a long and healthy life
Quote Reply