Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

maintaining race weight
Quote | Reply
Been fluctuating between 160 and 165 for a few months now, but can't seem to stay at 160 without very careful eating. I'm 6'2 and don't run or swim, just ride around 200 miles a week.

Anyone have trouble maintaining a race weight? Any tips?
Quote Reply
Re: maintaining race weight [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
Been fluctuating between 160 and 165 for a few months now, but can't seem to stay at 160 without very careful eating. I'm 6'2 and don't run or swim, just ride around 200 miles a week.

Anyone have trouble maintaining a race weight? Any tips?

Yeah.
Quote Reply
Re: maintaining race weight [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for a guy my size though, it doesn't seem like 160 should be so difficult to stay at. I ride with guys my height who hover in the high 130's, so I don't get what people do to get down, and stay down (aside from starving themselves).
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lharveyt [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swing between164-168 all year long (5'11") and for me its no big deal....if you are eating clean and training, and feeling good move on with your life and enjoy the gift!

13_ lbs at 6'2"? Not that I have any experience with that weight (since I was 13 at least) but that kind of build is genetic + starving.
Quote Reply
Re: maintaining race weight [Thecatch83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Eat right, train smart and your body weight will take care of itself.
Quote Reply
Re: maintaining race weight [slimfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no doubt. yea one guy is 138 and another 135. both are cat 1 racers and i would imagine its genetic just looking at them.

that certainly presents a nice w/kg ratio though....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could bike 300 miles a week....but like others say its about eating clean. Plus your weight will fluctuate from day to day, assuming you're not eating a dozen doughnuts a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That kind of weight seems a little low to me.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: maintaining race weight [triscooteremu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just looking at some taller pro cyclists that come to mind quickly, none of them are close to that weight.

Boonen: 6'4" 180 lbs
A. Schleck: 6'1" 150 lbs
Hincapie: 6'3" 170 lbs

I could be wrong, but I would estimate that the average rider in the pro peloton is 5'10" 150-155 lbs. Its always fun to do the w/kg math based on some crazy numbers, but realistically speaking, the guys you are talking about are genetic freaks and probably shouldn't be your benchmark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I am not a nutritionist nor did I stay @ a holiday inn Express last night, a 5 lbs fluctuation seems normal to me especially if on top of if you are not "eating carefully".
Plenty of factors do affect your weight beyond diet and training: sleep, stress, etc...

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eating disorder for being a badass racer = "Manorexia." Put a stop to it as soon as you can. Those other guys are miserable.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best suggestion is to minimize carbs and sugars outside training windows
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your case, the answer to everything is ride more. Seriously, as others have said, don't sweat it as long as you are comfortable with what you are doing now. Now go out and ride more!