Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

low tech flat prevention for clincher tires....
Quote | Reply
"Slime" tire sealant is acceptable for mt bikes but has anybody tried it in high pressure clincher tires? I decided to try it for an experiment.

I couldn't find any Slime brand 700 c tubes so I made my own by cutting a narrow slit in my tube and squirting the slime in the tube. After patching the slit I mounted the tire and punctured the tire a few times to see if it would hold. So far so good. I wondered if the low air volume and high air pressure would prevent it from working but it's holding fine. It lost maybe a little air pressure before the Slime kicked in but it beats the hell out of replacing a tube out on the road.

Next I'll look into the "Stans" method of tubeless tires on a road bike. Basically you replace the tube with latex sealant.

I hate flat tires, I'll gladly take the trade off of added rolling weight for fewer flats.
Quote Reply
Re: low tech flat prevention for clincher tires.... [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking about but there is slime-type stuff you can "inject," for lack of a better word, through your presta valves without messing with the tube. I haven't seen it on shelves for home use but supergo will (or at least used to) treat two tires with it for 20 bucks and they'd redo it if you ever got a flat. I can't remember the product name but I bet other shops have it too. I had them put it in the tires on my first road bike (before I became a weight weenie). Low air volume/high pressure didn't seem to bother it at all. It worked pretty well. I got one flat in two years and that one was my fault.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Re: low tech flat prevention for clincher tires.... [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slimed tubes exist in 700c for road tubes.
they are made by Wrench Force (part of Trek) and
retail for like $9.
If you flat with them, bring it to the LBS, they replace it.
Quote Reply
Re: low tech flat prevention for clincher tires.... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Whats the point? Seems like a lot of hassle when you could just put in a pair of Mr. Tuffys. In 6 years of using them I've never had a flat with Mr. Tuffys in.

SM
Quote Reply
Re: low tech flat prevention for clincher tires.... [skid marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swear by Mr. Tuffys.
Quote Reply
Re: low tech flat prevention for clincher tires.... [skid marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not a lot of hassle...
when I arrived in El Paso, I flatted 18 times in 4 weeks...arrived during the thorn season!
plain ugly...
With slime tubes, I get one flat a year. I use them with michelin carbon pro and virtually never flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would Tufo tire sealant work in a regular (tube) clincher?

Lee
Quote Reply
Re: low tech flat prevention for clincher tires.... [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep. go to the lbs, they have a tool to press the sealant in the tube. or get tubes already made this way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took my Hed-3 to the LBS today to have "Stan's" no flat system installed. I'm told that not only will my wheel/tire combo be a few grams lighter, but it will be much more flat resistant thanks to the latex sealant.

We'll see how it works. If it works as good as I'm told it will there is no reason for this to not be the way of the future with racing clinchers.
Quote Reply