Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

long weekend in Denver area
Quote | Reply

Gang,

I'm coming to Denver this weekend (Friday - Sunday) staying in the Glendale area, but will have a vehicle. Looking for advice on some decent ride routes. I'm a decent rider (not super fast, 22 mph in 70.3 bike leg and not much experience scaling mountains) and would love to get in some sweet rides. Looking for 30-60 mile loops. Any suggestions appreciated!

ADW

Quote Reply
Re: long weekend in Denver area [Onetimepad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeez...week little bump here.

Nobody lives in the Denver area?

ADW

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you could drive up to North Boulder (Amante Coffee shop) and then ride up to Ward or Jamestown. Usually there are multiple group rides leaving from Amante around 9-10 am on Saturdays. Or do Carter Lake. These rides can be found on mapmyride.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got back from Colorado. Rented a bike in Boulder one day. Take Old Stage Road from Boulder up to Left hand Canyon and then head for Nederland. You can make like a 70 mile loop of it, or else just follow all the people riding around. I saw several dozen people out riding on a week day.

You could also drive about an hour out to Idaho Springs and go for Mt. Evans, 30 miles and it climbs about 7000'

Lookout Mountain in Golden or Golden Gate Canyon in Golden are also popular climbs.

Head down toward Keystone and there are several passes you could ride. I rode Vail pass over and back last year it is not too bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can help you out. My fellow Colorado STers have been a little on the quiet side lately it seems. ;) I'm not too familiar with southern denver rides so I will send you to the Boulder area.

For flats you could park near 96th and Baseline. Then head north, left niwot road, rt 73rd (turns to 75th). You can take this north as far as you like to Carter Lake. Climb up the couple of switch backs to the lake and dip your feet in the water. It's nice. Then when you come back take a right on St Vrain to 65th, Nelson Road, 63rd, rt valmont. You will see Stazio Ball Fields. Go in and there is a bike path that will take you out to Arapahoe. Go left to the light and take Cherryvale to Baseline back to the car. You should be able to follow it on google maps.

Generally any of the roads from Jay Road north of Boulder East of N Foothills Highway and west of 95th are all good to ride. If you want to get a little classic climb in there stay on Nelson Road west rather than 63rd south. Once you hit Foothills Hwy take a left to Left Hand Canyon Dr. You can ride that to Jamestown and back or take Olde Stage Rd back into north boulder.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got an organized HIM Race Sim set up for Sunday in Boulder - 1 or 2 mile swim - up to 56 mile ride and run off bike. Email me if you want more info:
mike at d3multisport dot com.

Cheers,

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in south Denver. The training here is great, once you get through a few lights. PM me with your email address. I have a bunch of pdf maps I can forward you. These are mostly routes near Littleton, Golden, Evergreen areas. Some solid climbing, no doubt.

Do you want a place to run and/or swim too?
Quote Reply
Re: long weekend in Denver area [johnphillips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John,

Thanks for the help. Tried to PM you, but there is no email listed in your profile. My email is Aaron_D_Williams@yahoo.com. I would love some PDF's to look over. Looks like I have a ride date with a buddy on Friday at Deer Creek Park, so I will run on the next day and need another ride on Sunday (hopefully I'm not shelled at that point).

ADW

Quote Reply
Re: long weekend in Denver area [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

Thank you VERY much for the offer. The wife and kids are limiting the amount of training I can get in. I would LOVE to do it, but I think I might be pushing it asking for that big of a hall pass. I'm seriously bummed as that would have been the hit of the trip for me to do that! I did the 5430 long course last year and love it there.

ADW

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deer Creek Canyon and the surrounding area is a great ride. Check out the course maps for the Deer Creek Challenge: http://www.deercreekchallenge.com/...p/event-info/courses

I may get out there this weekend as well. I'll be on a red TitanFlex.
Quote Reply
Re: long weekend in Denver area [DrD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found that Deer Creek loop on mapmyride and looks like it will be on tap for Friday afternoon. Can't wait. I'll be riding a white Argon18 with a KC Multisport kit and a big-ass grin on my face...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

ADW

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option - head out to Golden, send the wife & kids to the outlet mall while you start in downtown, climb Lookout, continue to Evergreen & climb Squaw Pass, then turn around & head back to downtown Golden. And since you're right there anyways, finish up with a Coors brewery tour :)
Quote Reply
Re: long weekend in Denver area [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GREAT suggestion. I hat to cheat on Miller Lite, but that would be an epic day!

ADW

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not cheating - it's MillerCoors now! They just started producing Miller High Life in the Golden Brewery actually :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Castle Rock has some great rides, too. Check out the Elephant Rock Ride website for the routes they use. You WOULD have to drive a little to get there. As others have said, Deer Creek Canyon is a solid climbing workout.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deer Creek is good. If you are driving, you can park just south of C-470 on Wadsworth, you'll see other cars, which is the start of the climb. A good warm-up is to ride into the reservoir and do 10 miles or so and come back out then go up the canyon or ride south on Wadsworth and turnaround after a few miles and come back before the start. However, the first 2 miles is flat if you head directly to the canyon. Not too steep but a few pitches on High Grade are probably 6% to 7%. Friday will be nice but the weekend is a zoo with all the riders.

Here is a good link describing the climb and where you can get Gatorade at the old Grange - honor system. Check mapmyride for lots of alternatives.

http://herodot.us/...e-road-cycling-loop/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thing you can do in South Denver is get some OW swimming in at the lake at Grant Ranch. This can be combined with some great rides in the area. Info is here:

http://openwatercolorado.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What time are you riding on Friday?

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

A buddy of mine and I are hitting the road from the parking area at 1:30. I'm a bit nervous about the extent of the elevation gain. As a KC rider, I'm used to perpetual rollers, never any real flats, just repeating little 150-200 ft rolls. This thing looks scary, but I'm seriously excited about it and it's exactly the hurt I was looking for.

Please join us if you would like....

ADW

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my staple climbing workout, 4500' of high quality climbing in about 35 Miles:

http://veloroutes.org/bikemaps/?route=33793#

Start in Golden, up Lookout, Mt. Vernon CC, Genessee Mtn. Park, and over the backside of Genessee for some sweet, swoopy rolling climbs, very little traffic (Foothills and Montane Rds.). End with the steep'n'short climb up the backside of Lookout via Paradise, head down to Golden City Brewery for a 'homemade' IPA and you're done.

Quote | Reply
I may try to get out there. I'm in Highlands Ranch and it's about a 35 minute warm-up ride to the parking area off of Wadsworth Blvd.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dennis,

Just wanted to say it was great to meet you and I sincerely thank you for showing up today. I'm sorry we moved on after the first break. My buddy was climbing like Contador and I was SO deep in pain cave I forgot to for you after a few minutes. I was hurting like CRAZY before the first switchback on Deep Creek Canyon road. After the siwtchback I was in a world of shit. I just have to say, I have mad respect for you Colorado cyclists. Seriously, I don't know if I would ever try that loop again. Even the hills at the top were killing me. The decent was nice, but a little hairy. I was a little crazed to out-descend my uber climber buddy, so I flew down. Between me and my friend, a motorcyclist lost it in one of the turns and smashed right into the rocks destroying a $30K Ducati. Wish I would have seen it, but I was down the hill. Of course after waiting a few minutes, I climbed back up, which was NOT fun.

Thanks again Dennis, sorry we didn't get to chat more. That is one hard freaking ride. I hope everything with you wife works out OK. Best wishes...

ADW

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem Aaron. I sent you a PM. Let me know when you head to Denver again. Hopefully I'll be in better shape next time.

Darren
Quote Reply