Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

long run on low miles
Quote | Reply
My long run is typically longer than my combined weekly miles......For example, Last week I ran 15 miles during the week and 16 for my long run. I feel fine, no soreness or tenderness. I am training for a half so that is as long as it gets. Obviously I cannot get the mileage up that a pure runner can. I guess my question is do I need to run more during the week to accomodate my long run. But then again this has to be somewhat normal, especially for triathletes. Thought?
Quote Reply
Re: long run on low miles [overman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your numbers are definitely over what is considered in running books to be safe. However, I have not had problems with similar distances over the last 2 years. I did come from a marathon running background though, so the tendons and soft tissue were already used to the stresses of a long run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on how you got there. Training for Ironmans, I would often run Tue 90 min, Thu 90 min and Sat 180 min, but I would get there by doing 6 one hour runs per week earlier in the year when I'm not riding that much and the weather is still crappy for riding. Either way, it is 6 hours of running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that this will help much - but I'm the same - my long runs (average about 2 1/2 hrs currently) are about half my total mileage (about 5 hrs currently) for the week (I'm on a run-focus period). I figure running 5 hrs in a week when you try to swim about 3 and bike about 10 would be an 18 hour week! So unless your are training a ton (more than 18 hrs) running 5 hrs in a week is a lot. So if you have long, long runs - its going to end up that way unless you change %'s of your S/B/R to be more run focused. This would be a good question to post at Gordo's site. I think run frequency is important - so even if your long run is a big chunk of your running - I like a lot of little runs to get 5 runs/week (ideally).

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question:

I think that the amount of running that you need to do is predicated on what your running experience and background was before you started triathlon training. Another factor is your bodies durabilty. Running is tough on the body and you need to have good biomechanics to do a lot of running.

Bottom line - some need to do more and some can get away with quite a bit less. I was in the latter camp. However, I came from a fairly high-end running background to triathlon many years ago and my overall weekely running mileage dropped quite a bit while training for triathlons. Interseting side note: My pure running performance talied off a bit, but not as much as you would think if one reduced their weekly run mileage by 50%

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply