Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

long gaps in bike training (or, work gets in the way of training)
Quote | Reply
im about to be starting up some structured training prepping for races next year. I work a two weeks on, two weeks off rotating schedule. in other words, im home for two weeks then go to work AWAY from home in a remote location for two weeks.

I am blessed to have good gym facilities at my offshore work location, and was able to get approval to buy a vasa swim trainer. so, im good to go on the run and swim disciplines when im at work. however, i can not train on the bike for half my life. i can not bring my bike and trainer with me.

my question is this... what ill effects will i see in training / gains on the bike by not being able to stick to a structured training plan for the bike like most people can? i essentially get a two week rest from the bike after two weeks of training. i know this is pretty much a taper, and when i return home from two weeks it may be hard to hop back on the bike and get rolling again right where i left off.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: long gaps in bike training (or, work gets in the way of training) [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Expensive option but if you can get approval to buy a vasa trainer then could you get approval to buy a Wattbike Atom or similar?

Otherwise does seem your training would be pretty compromised, though could certainly still train enough to put in a decent time. Is there a Concept rower in your work place? That's probably the next best thing to bike training.
Quote Reply
Re: long gaps in bike training (or, work gets in the way of training) [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Expensive option but if you can get approval to buy a vasa trainer then could you get approval to buy a Wattbike Atom or similar?

when the atom is avail in the states i 100% believe i’ll be able to get one ordered. that’s my plan.

i don’t know what other comparable option i have right now. the atom is perfect for my work training.

Quote Reply
Re: long gaps in bike training (or, work gets in the way of training) [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, I'm from UK, didn't realise they weren't available in the states yet. Is there a second hand market for the original Wattbikes over there? Wouldn't be able to do smart training but could at least do structured power training and as and when the Atom is available you could likely sell it on without losing much money (based on previous experience of buying and selling high end second hand gym kit including Concept ergs)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the Wattbike was viable offshore, what about a peleton, or just an old spin bike?

Two weeks is too long, if you can get a vasa sorted there’s got to be a way of getting some kind of cycling setup.
Quote Reply
Re: long gaps in bike training (or, work gets in the way of training) [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
If the Wattbike was viable offshore, what about a peleton, or just an old spin bike?

Two weeks is too long, if you can get a vasa sorted there’s got to be a way of getting some kind of cycling setup.

we do have a tour de france bike. i use the thing occasionally but honestly it’s a pain to use. i hate it. not comfortable in the least and i can’t get down in a good aero position. i couldn’t do any sort of structured training on it (trainerroad).

maybe i should just suck it up and spend some time on it to keep my legs moving? i wouldn’t even know what to do in terms of workouts on it to bridge my 2 weeks at home in front of my “real” setup.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would do the job, for workouts I’d just keep it simple, something like a couple of 2x20’’s at sweet spot (done by feel assuming there’s no power/speed display)

It doesn’t have to be great/accurate, but you’ll make a lot more progress than if you stop for 2 weeks. (Worth remembering when facing a session on the uncomfortable monstrosity)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it have a normal pedal interface? If so just buy some powertap pedals and put them in when you’re there. Measure your road bike Coordinates then replicate on the spin bike. If you don’t have a road bike then go get a pre-purchase road bike fit. Honestly this will be just as good as being on your Tri bike at home, save for being able to do race specific prep close to your race. But you can do plenty of that in the two weeks you’re home.

You in the GOM? What facility? Pm if you’d rather
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have access to a tdf exercise bike and you are complaining about no bike access?

Come on, you can even improve a LOT just by busting tail on that even if it's not the exact position of your race bike.

I ride a freaking upright nonaero bike at lunch when I can and it's plenty good for a bike butt kicking that actually works for race training.
Last edited by: lightheir: Jun 9, 18 5:27
Quote Reply
Re: long gaps in bike training (or, work gets in the way of training) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's got pedals it's good enough. When I was working away last winter i used to do Sufferfest workouts on a gym bike. It sucked but it was better than nothing. And it's amusing to horrify the other gym users with the sweaty monster look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you've hot some authority if you can get a vasa out on the rig, haha. Seems like a bike would be easier to get approval for since more out there would use it. Get a spin class type bike with some P1 pedals you can easily put on and off and you'd be good to at least maintain your fitness while offshore.
Quote Reply
Re: long gaps in bike training (or, work gets in the way of training) [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't even need special pedals, bike fit, etc. Seriously!

Just bring your normal running shoes, and rock those platforms. You won't miss a thing - I've been doing this for years at the YMCA over lunch when I have bike training on deck. The clips are totally not needed for indoor bike training - your bike doesn't move around, so there's no jostling of your foot off the pedal that would normally occur on road (really noticeable when mtn biking.)

People overthink this bike training thing for traveling and trips. You don't even need sufferfest or trainerroad or anything like that (they are great if you have them though!) - I do short up to 60 minute lunch sessions that are hard, focused, and high yield on that upright bike. I've even done them in the past on a cheap gym bike that I found out after I moved that you could buy online for $150 and even that was a serious buttkicking if you commit to it.
Quote Reply
Re: long gaps in bike training (or, work gets in the way of training) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly dont need the fancy stuff. But as someone who has spent some time on a rig, its not like travelling for a few days, or having to get a spin in at lunch because you have something to do that night. This is literally half of your life. Again, it isn't needed, but it would make a pretty decent substitue to get you through that 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: long gaps in bike training (or, work gets in the way of training) [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guys i very much appreciate the feedback. makes me feel kinda dumb for being fussy about my setup at work, but i probably needed a good prod to be happy with what i have and use it! ill just take my power meter pedals to work with me, hook em up, and follow my TR plan.

Quote Reply