Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

long distance, cold vs nutrition vs clothing
Quote | Reply
It looks like the marathon I'm running on sunday could be at about 30 degrees. Last year was very cold as well and I had problems eating gu on schedule. It seemed like nothing was digesting. My theory is that due to the cold, I was not drinking near as much as normal and the lack of water in my stomach kept the gu from digesting well. Generally I alternate gatorade and water every mile, I probably continued to do this which really threw the sugar content over the edge probably reducing absorbtion.

If this is really the problem, how do I dress? To be comfortable in 30 degress with little or no wind, I would wear the same thing I wear in the summer, with the addition of a headband to cover my ears. I wouldn't be cold, but I wouldn't be sweating much either. Should I dress warm enough to generate a good sweat so that I can drink more?

If it makes any difference, I eat my first gu after 1 hour, then one gu every 30 minutes. I'll take water at every aid station (every 1.5 miles) after about mile 5. I'm 6'1" 160lbs and a very fast metabolism, it seems like I've got to eat constantly just to keep moving. I'm in the 3'45" - 4' range for the marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: long distance, cold vs nutrition vs clothing [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean you would wear shorts and a singlet or t-shirt for the race? Personally, I would consider a light pair of tights, and maybe a good wicking long-sleeve t, if only to protect your skin and tendons from the cold. If there is any wind at all you might be hating life. Then again, you did it last year, so whatever works.

As for nutrition you should do as you have been doing for training runs. Don't be afraid to walk an aid station to drink water with your gel if that's what you need to do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the Twin Cities Marathon in 2000, temperature at the start was around 20-25 degrees (it didn't get much warmer). I wore a long-sleeved coolmax top underneath my singlet, a thin hat, light gloves and shorts--that was more than adequate.

Dressing more to generate a "good sweat" doesn't make sense--retain fluids whenever possible, don't expel them. Make a conscious effort to drink...even if you don't feel like it.

And if the temp. is going to be around 30, DON'T FORGET YOUR WINDBRIEFS!

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume that this is 30F. This would put the temp below freezing. That's cold.

As to the clothing issue, I would reccomend A good pair of tights that will wick moisture away from the skin, same for the top. I would go with two layers up top. That way you can take one off if you get too warm and wrap that one around your waist. A tuque(hat) and gloves are a must. 30% of your body-heat is lost through your head/neck. Again, if you get too warm you can take the hat/gloves off and stuff them in the waist band of your tights.

As to the nutition/hydration issue: Air this cold is also very dry. You will be loosing significantly more water directly out of your lungs when breating than in warmer more humid conditions. In cold air you often have to drink MORE than you would in more moderate conditions. I have done a great deal of xc-skiing in the winter and many long races of 50K. It was amazing to me how much I would drink in these races even when the air Temp was -15C or colder.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My lower body can handle a larger range of cold - so a light to medium tigh is nearly always fine. My feet have never been cold while runing with just one pair of thin socks.

I wear a tight but flexible singlet inside with a long sleeve coolmax (or similar) shirt over it. If it is windy I put on a Pearl Izumi vest that has an open mesh back. That will keep my core warm down to the lower 20's and doesn't cause me to overheat until about 40. Any wind proof sleeve causes me to overheat.

I also wear light to medium gloves and take them off periodically to regulate my body temp. Running hat with a PI head band for the ears if needed.

Good luck in the marathon. I am doing a gravel road half this Saturday and we just got 4-7 inches of snow. Sounds like fun ey?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to dress appropriately warm for the level of exertion and the environmental temperature. Remember that if you are even slightly too cold you are exposing yourself to substantial injury as your body involuntarily tries to keep warm blood in the core to maintain vital physiological functions (heart rate, respiration) while your extremities are fighting for warm, oxygen rich blood. Also, your metabolism uses a substantial (70%+) percentage of its total function just to maintain body temperature. More in colder temps. It is essential to maintain the caloric input and hydration to support that. It's a delicate balance: Don't dress too warm, don't dress too cold. GGood luck! have a great race, let us know ho it goes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What works for me is to take my gel every four miles (~25-30 minutes) just prior to the aid station. I take a water at the aid station to aid absorption. Note that gels get thick like taffy at 30F. Keep them near your body to maintain their normal viscosity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lack of water isn't the only thing affecting your digestion--the fact that your body is fighting against you to a) try to heat itself (since you're underdressed), and b) to exert the energy necessary to race a marathon means that blood is being pulled away from your stomach. Don't be fooled into thinking that you don't need water or fluids--you need just as much while running in the cold as you do in moderate conditions. Those fluids affect your body's ability to regulate temperature, which affects your nutrition intake, which affects your running performance.

Dress warm "enough": probably tights and some light layers on top, light gloves or glove liners, and a hat or headband. You don't want or need to be toasty when you start, since your body will heat up as you run. As for your first 2 GU's, I suggest slipping one down in the palm of each glove. When you're ready to consume them, they'll be more like their intended gel state and less like taffy.

Ben H

Christian, Husband, Father, Ranger, Triathlete
Quote Reply