Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
life just got much more complicated...
Quote | Reply
now that the bombing has started. A month ago, I was making preparations for my first ever trip to the Left Coast, to participate in Ralph's. Booked the air ticket, hotel, car. Bought the Fodor's guide to San Diego, and convinced my wife to take a week off work to accompany me, visit the zoo, maybe go see the Padres play. You know, have fun.

Now, I am questioning how much fun I will actually have. Do I really want to fly to the US, via NYC, and spend a week within 30 miles of 2 major military bases? It is times like this that I really like living on an island 700 miles from anywhere.

Quite often I don't go to church on Sunday, the cycling and triathlon racing schedule conflicts with the service times. I think I might skive off work for a half hour this afternoon and go visit the Bishop.

Wishing everyone peace and happiness, however that comes.
Quote Reply
Where are you coming from? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: life just got much more complicated... [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will do what you have to do, but I'd say you are coming to a rather safe place (San Diego).

I'm scheduled to fly to Washington, DC and then on to New York in a few weeks, unless my work has cancelled the trip. I'll find out on Monday when I return to work. Glad I'm out on medical leave, as today, I couldn't get in there if I tried as the "protesters" have caused a disturbance at the building across the street.

I'm also holding an airplane ticket and have paid for a trip to the Tour de France in July. Right now our feelings are if Lance races, we'll be there.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: france [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm certainly no expert, however I've vacationed in france several times and have spent a lot of time studying french history (both recent and long ago). It is my opinion that the french people are not as anti-american as the french govt. The people are also not as anti-american as one would be led to believe by the media. My guess is that if you don't act like an ugly tourist then you will get a warm reception. Try hard to learn a little of the language, it shows your respect even if you are horrible at it and it opens doors that would ordinarily be closed to you.

On the basic travel issue, screw the terrorists do what you ordinarily would do. My wife and I had planned a 4 day weekend to NYC 2 weeks after 9/11. (We had planned this trip a couple months in advance). It never occurred to us that we would not go. When you live in fear and change your plans, then the terrorists have already won.
Quote Reply
Re: france [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been to France multiple times and have friends both in Paris and the South of France, so been there, done that on dealing with the French and (trying to) speak French. And, I traveled to NYC not long after 9/11 and to NZ. So, no concerns on traveling. My concern is $$$ down the drain if something gets cancelled and being bummed about not hooking up with my buds if work cancels the East Coast trip. That and dealing with my mother who worries about every little thing she can't control.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: france [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what mothers are for. I joke with mine by asking if she is done knitting that spare tire.

I should have thought about who I was posting this to ... it doesn't seem like your personality to let those other issues keep you from going.

Hopefully it will all be over soon.
Quote Reply
Re: france [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>I should have thought about who I was posting this to ... it doesn't seem like your personality to let those other issues keep you from going.<<

Oh no! Am I that transparent? ;-)

Ah mothers.....I traveled around Ireland (both sides of the border and before the 1994 cease fire). Mother made me call them every 12 hours.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: life just got much more complicated... [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edit: hmmm, where's bermuda :p
Last edited by: freestyle: Mar 20, 03 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you coming from? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm coming from Bermuda. Very nice down here at the moment, still a bit chilly, but the forecast doesn't indicate any snow. I think that I will make the trip, I've trained too hard not to, but I'm giving myself over the weekend to make a final decision. As you most people on this forum, I too feel that I cannot let terrorists dictate how I live my life. But... my mother-in-law's nickname is Dr. Doom. After we got a puppy last year, she sent us every newsclipping she found about dog attacks. So some of that does rub off a bit.

I'll be bib # 454, on a lovely new Klein.
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you coming from? [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jay, I just got back from France on Monday , after spending a week in the french alps. I felt totally comfortable travelling, and while I do admit that comfort level is an individual thing, everything seemed the same as a few months before. You should be fine, especially with the heightened alert. When it gets like this, people are more paranoid and cautious, thus things are typically more safe (the best time to fly is usually right after a hijacking or a crash, because people are more alert and sensitive)

So go to the race and have a fun time. Im going back to France for the tour in July. not even thinking about cancelling.

And I agree, most french are really not that anti-american, or at least thats not the feeling I got this past week AT ALL
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you coming from? [SByers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"most french are really not that anti-american"

There is a huge distinction that should be made. The French citizens and many others world wide are not anti-American. What they are is anti-war.

It was the same thing back in the Viet Nam days, although many of you on this forum are likely too young to have remembered. Most of the world, and indeed a majority of Americans did not support that war. Calling foreign war protesters anti-American was as ridiculous as calling American people who were against Viet Nam as being unpatratriotic. Just because you didn't support Viet Nam made you neither of these. Same applies to Iraq.

This Iraq thing is almost a bad case of deja vu. Now that it's started at least let's hope it ends soon with minimal damage to the civilian population and a legitimate workable form of democratic government is installed. The USA doesn't need another Viet Nam.
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you coming from? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not talking about the war at all (different topic), although it could be percieved as such with the geopolitical issues plaquing us right now.

I was following along the same lines at Toms post earlier, there has always been a belief of french dislike for americans, whether its fact-based, or media-based (national lampoons european vacation for example) I dont know. Most average americans (not well travelled, not very educated) believe the french dislike us, especially parisians. I was just stating that in my experience with this past trip, and all the others, that I have found that anti-american feeling to be false.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry about it, Jason... The risks of driving your car across the swing bridge on the causeway are greater than the risk of terrorism. Also, on a more depressing note, from what I've been reading the miliary targets are quite secure. What's far more likely to have a terrorist attack is a major civilian target so as to strike fear into the people.

I'll be back in Bermuda on Saturday for the Duathlon, so I hope to see you out there ;)

Cheers!

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you coming from? [Zinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Alex, see you sunday. You missed a fun race on Front Street last weekend.

Actually, the least of my worries is the risk of terrorism from al quaeda or iraq. The US is perfectly capable of breeding its own wackos. I'm most worried about the grief I'll get from my mother-in-law!!!

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't agree. the parisians dislike the americans in general. also the brits, the germans, the italians...basically everyone not from Paris... :-)
It's pretty simple, it's like NYC :-)
Actually, this is not true... two things:

1. when you go in a foreign country, people will ALWAYS be more friendly if you make an effort to speak their language (I experienced that in 2001 in S.Korea).

2. if you ask some info (your way, a hotel whatever) to a dude who is walking really fast, wears a suit, a brief case etc...well you are on holidays and he is rushing to work...no wonder he has no time for you
Ask your way to the dude who looks relaxed, that'll be easier :-)

Francois -who lived 25 in Paris-

PS now about anti french. I had a really long ride today. stopped for a drink, got some evian (of course :-) and an old dude said quite nastily "you know this is french water?"...I answered "you know that I am french?" (which probably sound odd, as I am half aussie and speak with an aussie accent) but the lady at the counter thought it was funny...
Quote Reply
eh Francois, how long is long? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope your DIY Camp is going well!
Quote Reply
Re: eh Francois, how long is long? [richard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
235km...going well (still :-) )
just upset sometimes when reading some facist posts here....
Quote Reply
Re: eh Francois, how long is long? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Francois, I find the tone of this discussion somewhat amusing if the subject matter was not quiet as serious. I was born in London, and lived there most of my life before moving to North America, Canada to be precise. As you know the french and the english try to be on opposite sides on everything just because. Now in Canada we have the Quebec issue, which appears to be a huge mystery to most Canadians, my explanantion is that the roots go back to the French loss of the 100 yrs war (possibly traced as far back as Agincourt (sic)), and the predominance of english both linguistically and culturally thereafter. Ok I am being facetious, but it does elicit the most interesting responses.

Re: eh Francois, how long is long? [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got back from London and say if you have travel plans go ahead. If I had another trip planned to Europe this week, next week, next month I'd go. Most people that I talked to in the pubs were not against the US people per say just the policies and way that things have progressed. Most feel that this war was planned, signed, sealed and delivered months ago and the envelope was just opened. Europe has lived with terrorism for years (hence no trash bins in the tube stations). Life goes on is the common sentiment and that is how I plan to live. What other option does one really have?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am trying to keep it amusing. the other couple of discussions on the same subject are not exactly courteous and the only way to have a constructive dialogue is by remaining courteous and listening to others...
Basically, the problem the french have with the brits is that we cannot understand why you would boil meat! :-))
And because I am half aussie, my other half also have a problem with the pohms :-)
I lived 3 years in Montreal (93 to 95) and loved it. I wanted to move there but then met my wife who hates the cold...bummer. I love that town.

In any case, the french do not dislike the brits at all as long as they can kick their ass during the Tournament of 5 (now 6) nations :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 It was a day of mourning when France won the soccer (football) world cup!! As for this yrs 6 nations, well the English are going to lose to the Irish anyway, they cant close out, but they did beat the French in paris i think!

I recall a few yrs ago when the the French cultural ministery tried to ban english words from the french language, they had a few problems with computer and jazz, among a host of other words. Or how about the WTO talks when the French wanted an exemption for propping up their film industry and also allow French films greater access to the US market. That one killed me, I just dont see middle america going to see a Jean Paul Goddard movie, now Christine Geneive getting naked, that is another story all together!

Like you I am a bit of a misfit, as i am chinese but speak in a funny english accent !

recently in IM NZ I was running along, and I saw a lady with a terrier dog that looked a lot like mine I stopped and said hi. The dogs owner says to me: "you are the second person that has stopped to say hi" . I said that must have been my wife, the owner says no it cant be this lady was from Canada! Well I had to laugh, my wife is Caucasian!

Quote | Reply
Was a day of mourning for me too...I hate soccer...
each time they won, I was like "oh no, one more to go"...
Indeed the french gov. did quite a few things to limit eng. words in the voc. however, the interesting thing is that eng. has far more french words in its voc. than vice versa.
I remember in Montreal, all the shops with both french and english...except in the chinese part of the town where everything was in chinese ;-)
Funny though, my wife is (half) asian (vietnamese...those here who didn't like the french, are going to have one more reason...).

liked NZ? lived in Oz two years. NZ is beautiful...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow!...now I'm starting to really worry about riding my French-made bike when I visit the USA for what was to be a fun race.
Quote Reply
Re: eh Francois, how long is long? [triinTO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just say it's french canadian.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved NZ, also loved the race, even though it did not pan out as I had hoped.

Yes Montreal is a fun place, might visit in May. Great Veitnamise food to be found there.

Regarding the english language, your comment reminded me of the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, where the father of the bride tells everyone that all english words derive from greek, even kimono! Yes english is a heavily bastardised language, there is even a Microsoft version!

Going back to some of the comments above, the French were great supporters of the American independence movement (well the Yanks were fighting the Brits after all) and the American constitution draws heavily on the French civil rights movement that arose from the over thrown of the monarchy. Now please do not through away any foie gras or cheese away, please just send it to me. Also any cases of Badoit.

It took me a while to figure out why there are signs in French here in Vancouver, since the second language here is Chinese, probably Cantonese. The first time I flew in Vancouver was after spending 4 weeks in Houston working, I though I landed in a different planet. The Chinese call us bananas, yellow outside white inside!

One poster maybe on another thread hoped that it will be over quickly. I am sure the present hostilities will, but I fear that the real war will go over for ever and no matter how many regimes are toppled America will never reclaim the feeling of security it once had. After WTC I mentioned on another board that life as we know it will never be the same, American had/has to take action, it had to, and hence the cycle of violence will continue. Round and round we go. My heart goes out to all the Aliied troops and civilians who will die, and their families, it is so sad.

Prev Next