Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

knee pain - advice
Quote | Reply
Over the last couple days I've been experiencing pain under the front of my knee cap. I've searched all the older posts and think it could be ITB but just want a second opinion. I'm in taper for a marathon next weekend, but after my ride yesterday it was really irritated. I've been doing ITB stretches and the bring some relief but walking the dog this morning was painful. With my race one week out from today what should I do - ice, rest, stretch? Probably not a quick cure out there but I'd appreciate any feedback. Again, the pain (sometimes sharp) is under the front of the knee cap and started after my 19-miler last weekend.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: knee pain - advice [william] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long did it take to go 19 miles?

I have a freind getting ready to do Boston with me in a month. He told me he had his hamstring tweak some on him during his long run
of 21 miles last weekend. I asked him how long it took and he said 3.5 hours. I told him he was nuts to be running anything over 2.5 hours,
from what I have read. I just do not understand why so many folks seem to want to run to the point of getting hurt.

Now, in my case, rather than running to much to get ready for Boston, I just try to be a klutz. While doing a 9 mile brick run yesterday,
I tripped over a tree root and down I went. Since I can still walk this morning, I guess I am being told I still need to do the race.

My darn knee was a little sore after. Will see how I feel doing my 2.5 hour run today.

Best of luck, but better to go into the race under trained and healthy. I just do not believe in these long long runs, for most folks.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like it could be runner's knee, or chondromalacia patella. Search posts for these 2. I've put up some good rehab exercises in the past. If this is the case, you will likely have pain when you sit with your leg flexed for extended periods. The pain will also seem to be coming from under your kneecap as well. You may notice your knee bowing out at the top of your pedal stroke.

Of course, in order to not get the shit flamed out of me again, I must say that I am NOT an MD (yet) and you should always consult a medical professional instead of using this forum as your doctor.

;-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: knee pain - advice [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you nailed it Jodi. It def hurts after sitting with my leg flexed for extended periods, it's fine when I'm on my feet although I can feel it. I'll search the posts. I'm just hoping a week of rest will get me through the marathon.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rest alone won't do it, but the rehab can work very quick. If you don't find the post, I'll PM you the exercises later- have to head to the pool now.

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a similar problem, although the pain has been localized to the inside of the knee (right leg). According to a massage/physical therapist, I've a knot, deep under my ITB, which is causing pulling on a muscle that runs down the inside of the leg. The inner muscle is somehow attached to where the knot is located. Much stretching, including lying on my back with a tennis ball tucked in my side, seems to be curing it. Good luck with your.//d

#cureMS
Quote Reply