Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

knee pain: PFPS, tendinitis or something else?
Quote | Reply
I have been having knee pain for about 4 weeks now. Came out of the blue after a 19 mile run (was training for Boston, and did not ramp up my mileage extreme, was very moderate in mileage increase). Ran 12 miles with what felt like a bruise on the inner top of my knee cap. Went for another run the next day and couldn't do 4 miles without increasing pain. Went to ortho the next day, said it was PFPS, gave me meloxicam, a PT script and said I could run on it. So I did. Did a 18 miler the following weekend and i couldn't even walk down the stairs without extreme pain. Stupidly did a 8 miler the next day and the day after I tried to run and couldnt' because of extreme pain right below my knee cap. Couldn't even make it 30 seconds without agony. Went to see another PT that day and he said I had patella tendinitis, gave me a coritsone shot (wish i hadn't gotten it bc it didn't help) and said not to run for a week. Continued with PT (weak hips, strengthening quads, single leg squats, ankle mobility work) and the intense pain returned when I tried to run. Couldn't do anything. Stairs were uncomfortable but walking was fine. Sleeping was bothersome bc my knee woudl wake me up achy. Fast forward three weeks ... no running. Can sleep through the night. Ran on anti-gravity machine no issues. Stairs are fine. Walking is great. Feel like I can run outside but for the fact that now I have pain when I'm sitting for too long and i try to bend my knee. That's the only time I feel achy. Sometimes it feels like a rubberband tightness around the bottom my knee. Sometimes it feels like stretched tightness along the inside of the knee. other times just a twinge of pain right underneath my knee cap if i bend it a certain way. waiting for approval for an MRI (hopefully this week). Squats, btw, don't bother me. Being on my knees don't bother me. It's just the stiffness from sitting. Anyone have any idea of what this is? And why it hasn't gotten better despite strength work, ART therapy, and no running? I have done easy cycling (low resistance, high cadence) bc my knee feels fine. feeling quite desperate for an answer ... thanks!!!

Also, I’ve never had any swelling. Initially the tip of my inside knee cap was tender. But not anymore.
Last edited by: lmb326: Mar 24, 19 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: knee pain: PFPS, tendinitis or something else? [lmb326] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would await your MRI, but sure sounds like classic PFPS. Sorry about Boston

Quote | Reply
I agree sounds like pfps.

It sounds like it is getting better, but recovery from it takes time. That's especially true given the amount of running you did after your first onset. You should never go back to whoever told you it was OK to run through it. Very Bad call.

Never train through overuse injury pain.
Quote Reply
Re: knee pain: PFPS, tendinitis or something else? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I did not go back to original doc. Had never even heard of this issue so I was clueless and blindly followed his advice. Haven’t run in 3 weeks other than briefly on anti gravity treadmill. Hopefully I can start a walk/run plan in a couple more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My knees used to ache 7/24, from 30 years of playing hockey, heavy gym work, falling off mountain bikes, etc. Aching was 7/24, so bad it was difficult to sleep.

Eventually got on a supplement program of a) fish oil capsules, and b) Glucosamine & Chondroitine capsules. Eliminated pretty much all aches. Use them year round - would never consider not taking them.

Currently using a Glucosamine & Chondroitine product by 'Webber Naturals', from Costco, so cost is reasonable. Take twice a day with meals.

Have recommended to numerous friends and generally all have good experience. When first starting them it takes a couple weeks to feel improvement.
Quote Reply
Re: knee pain: PFPS, tendinitis or something else? [IM_Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I will check it out!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds exactly what I have been batteling since the start of February. Came back from a ski trip and I couldn’t walk down the stairs! The doctor and PT both agreed it was Patellar Tenonditis.

First I started with an ART therpaist right away. The doctor gave anti inflammatory and said to take some time. They said after a few weeks when the pain went down to return to activity very easy and stop at any sign of pain.

I took 2 weeks completely off, then 2 weeks of just swim/bike all easy. I thought I was ready to run all the pain was gone in normal activities. Right after that run it was inflamed again.

Since then I have started single leg decline board squats after some more consultation. That seems to be doing the trick and I can now walk/run after 6 weeks.

It takes time. It’s frustrating but don’t rush it, I did after 4 weeks and it likely set me back a bit more. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: knee pain: PFPS, tendinitis or something else? [MtbTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny enough my slant board just arrived. Going to start decline squats to see if it helps w the pain. Worst case scenario, I’m just building muscle. Best case, it helps with the pain!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey just curious. When you started up your walk/running do you feel intermittent achiness afterwards? That’s where I am at after 7 weeks. Doesn’t hurt during my walk:run intervals (which I am building very slowly) but will ache randomly 12-48 hrs afterwards. No acute pain. Just achiness. Is that similar to your experience or should I stop till I have no achiness ? Thought to be fair when I started up my intervals if was after a couple of weeks of no achiness. That’s why I’m looking for guidance from someone who has been through this. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still have some acheness and my other knee has actually started to flare up as well only on the bike though. It’s been nearly 10 weeks from
the initial incident.

The positive news is both are improving. I can now run up to 40-50 minutes after nearly 10 weeks without any discomfort. From 40-60 it will get tight.

I think the trick is don’t do anything that’s painful. When ever things get tight, stop stretch and see if that helps. It has for me. Only you can judge pain but for me if it was over a 3 I would stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I just ran for the first time (not on an alter g) after the injury (about 7 weeks). My knee didn’t bother me at all during the walk/run. It was , however, very achy 12-24 hours after, probably 3 or 4 on a 10 pain scale. I assume that will get better as I progress my running. Is that what you experienced when you first got back to running?

And if I ever feel any pain or tightness during my walk/run, I definitely plan on stopping.
Quote Reply