Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

kids cycling - making the most of these times
Quote | Reply
With school being what it is in many parts of the US (my 9 y/o does in person 2 days a week), we made it a point in September to incorporate physical activity into my son's daily routine, since he's doesn't care at all for organized sports. While there are kids in the neighborhood he plays with, it seems that these days playing together involves a lot of standing around and lack of active playing. My son learned to ride his bike in March and by the time he did he had already outgrown a 20" model and I ended up getting a 24" road bike on his insistence (he was excited about cycling for about a week before that wore off lol).

Since early September, I've noticed my power go from 70ish watts to now nearly 100w average for our 60 min rides (we ride the same 0.25 mile loop around our neighborhood). Yesterday we averaged 13.2mph! It's fun to see the progress and hopefully it'll set a good foundation for him to maintain physical activity in his life. For me, it's a nice easy extra 300kj of work on top of my regular training lol Hoping to keep this up with zwifting over the winter. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in knowing how he compares to other kids his age (at least as far as the competitive set goes), but we don't really have any aspirations besides just getting out for rides together on a nice day. Anyhow, anyone can feel free to share their own ways of keeping their kids active during these times.
Quote Reply
Re: kids cycling - making the most of these times [347CX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oldest never wanted to ride. Then let him ride his mtb on a little trail by the house it appeared the older kids used for mtb. Nothing fancy or gnarly, just off road. He loves it.

I'll ride the cross bike over and do it with them and setup barriers off to the side for me to practice.

Otherwise, our neighborhood is really hilly. It's enough for them to keep up with me running. So I can always garner some good TSS from an hour run while they ride.
Quote Reply
Re: kids cycling - making the most of these times [347CX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
347CX wrote:
...60 min rides...0.25 mile loop...13.2mph

Holy moly you did the same 0.25mi loop 53 times straight for an hour!!! I'm less impressed with the kid's biking stamina and massively impressed with his mental stamina!

We bumped my 5yr old up to a 20" bike with gears this summer. That in itself has been added motivation for her to ride because she's excited to ride her "big bike". Some other things that have helped get her out the door have been family run/rides where my wife or I will run w/ the stroller (got a 1 year old) and my daughter will ride. Rides to the playground are huge. We've also been taking her to a low-key social group ride that typically ends in a pot-luck. We'll ride as a family (toddler in the bike seat) while the roadies go out and do their thing, and then socialize afterwards. Never underestimate the motivational powers of a pot-luck desert spread for a 5 year old.

Just last week, she woke up early. I was on the trainer already and my wife was about to go out the door for a run. My wife convinced her to come along which was cool. When they get back, my daughter goes "I like to get my rides in early, then I can do whatever I want for the rest of the day". I wonder where she got the idea to say something like that.....
Quote Reply
Re: kids cycling - making the most of these times [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is kind of nuts about our loop, I don't think either of us loves it, but our neighborhood is kind of self-enclosed so mainly residents drive around, so it's safe, it's relatively uninterrupted and doesn't require driving to get to. We live near the minuteman bike trail, which is the major MUP in the area, but I kind of hate it because a) navigating through people and b) road crossings. There's an even worse "bike path" 2 mins from our house which is a weird mix of MUP going into streets, great for super little kids but not for our particular style of riding at this point. He's not totally ready for full fledged road rides but I'd want to get him acclimated to that vs path riding. So our little loop totally works for us (for now! lol)
Quote Reply