Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

is there such a thing as a warm SwimRun?
Quote | Reply
Hi, looking to diversify my racing experiences. Dont know a ton regarding Otillo and swim run events, have watched them develop the last few years. Would love to try one, I have 2 parameters however.

1, I would love it to be hot and even warmish would be fine. It would seem most of them are freeze ass. After contemplating this it is most likely due to the fact that you are wearing a wetsuit the whole race and they dont want peeps to keel over from heat stroke.

2. Bonus points for finding a warmish race with the option of a SOLO entry.

Have been looking at the event calendars but the ability to filter for individual events is not so great.

Any info would be super duper extra appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: is there such a thing as a warm SwimRun? [tankinisusanne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might depend what part of USA you are from that determines what you consider warm.
Canaqua Sports has held a swimrun event in Sudbury Ontario last year and this year and they plan to expand their options. This year solo and teams were an option. It is held in the end of July so the temp is going to be 20-27 C ( above 70). The swim is in a small lake and is comfortable without a wetsuit. I participated both years. It’s a beautiful course in a park with challenging hills and trail runs too. I recommend it. ( not in any way affiliated with the race organization but I had fun and would like to see it succeed)
Quote Reply
Re: is there such a thing as a warm SwimRun? [niagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im willing to travel a bit, 70 sounds fine. It seems most I have looked at are 65-55 degrees. I wish I was more of a badass but my feet freeze due to reynauds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is always warm in Australia. :)
https://www.rottnestswimrun.com/

You will get to see the cutest animals.

You will also have to avoid getting eaten by sharks and bitten by poisonous snakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few options in San Diego

http://www.californiaswimrun.com/upcoming-races/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one in the Isles of Scilly?

Not sure about solo entry, Otillo is certainly team based.
Quote Reply
Re: is there such a thing as a warm SwimRun? [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the Scilly one - have been down there for the last week and it was bloody freezing!
Quote Reply
Re: is there such a thing as a warm SwimRun? [niagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niagirl wrote:
Might depend what part of USA you are from that determines what you consider warm.
Canaqua Sports has held a swimrun event in Sudbury Ontario last year and this year and they plan to expand their options. This year solo and teams were an option. It is held in the end of July so the temp is going to be 20-27 C ( above 70). The swim is in a small lake and is comfortable without a wetsuit. I participated both years. It’s a beautiful course in a park with challenging hills and trail runs too. I recommend it. ( not in any way affiliated with the race organization but I had fun and would like to see it succeed)

They also did one June 2 this year in Welland. 5 K of running and 3 k of swimming. Welland is just over the border from Buffalo. You can race it solo as the swims are in the rowing basin and the bypass canal in Welland. Water would be 16 C or so at that time. Air could be 10C or 25C or more.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: is there such a thing as a warm SwimRun? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that along with swimming, you are running. The cool water temps are a nice relief from the body heat you generate during run legs. Wetsuits are as much a safety requirement as a body-warming tool, so they likely would be required in a warm water venue. At Casco Bay, the water temps were a non-event as far as I was concerned. Make the water 5-10 degrees warmer, and that would have been a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last weekend was the Garden State SwimRun in Randolph NJ (http://nyara.org/...arden-state-swimrun/), which seems to be what you are looking for - warm weather/water race with solo entries. Perhaps you can get on the mailing list for next year?

It was warm, although a few people did choose to wear wetsuits in the elite distance (11 miles trail running/9 runs, 2 miles swimming/8 swims in 2 different lakes). I would have died in wetsuit over those trails on an August day in NJ, however. I was fine in an one piece tri suit and compression socks to protect from the poison ivy and other nasty stuff along the trails. Great fun, even if I left a bit of blood here and there on the trails - I have not been this sore in a long time!

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you posted this as I have been looking for the same thing, although in the SE US. I abhor cold water for no other reason than I am a *******y. I also like the solo entry category as a test run before I drag down a partner.
Quote Reply
Re: is there such a thing as a warm SwimRun? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
There are a few options in San Diego

http://www.californiaswimrun.com/upcoming-races/

They force you to have a team mate. Luckily this year water is oddly warm. There are also aquathlons here. Put on by tri club San Diego and UCSD. There is a secret race in August, 2 mile run, drink beer, 1.5 mile run, swim 1km. Tugs tavern race.

Would be good to see more warm water swim runs, with not swim assistance gear allowed. Purely natural
Quote Reply
Re: is there such a thing as a warm SwimRun? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chicago Swimrun - water was 75 this year. Only had to use a wetsuit once in the last 4 years. And it's free. Come on out next year. Find us on IG - ChicagoSwimrun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure where you are, but there was one at Yellow Creek State Park in PA in Mid June. Put on by Lionheart Adventures. Solo entries and it was warm. 12 mile run and 2 mile swim for the long race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you fancied a trip to France, Otillo Cannes should be pretty mild.

Chop Nutrition http://www.chopnutrition.com (UK only)
Quote Reply
Re: is there such a thing as a warm SwimRun? [StanMcKenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Öttilö Cannes/France offers solo if I am not wrong. But it takes place end of Oct., so it will most likely not be very warm anymore.

Öttilö Isles of Scilly / Italy should be warmer (in June) but does not offer solo...
Quote Reply
Re: is there such a thing as a warm SwimRun? [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rottnest Swim-Run in Western Australia.
Beautiful climate, excellent race, great water temp, great water, so many other things to do.
Don't worry about the sharks.....
Quote Reply