Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Or, I find a bell works wonders :-)

The cool thing about bells is that most people instinctively move to the right upon hearing them. Rarely have I ever had anyone move to the left. Plus, they're just, I don't know...nicer.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whether racing or training I only tend to use "on your left" (or "on your right" in some countries!) if one of the following applies:
- The rider I'm passing is riding erratically
- The rider is in the middle of the lane and I want to make a point
- I'm going to have to pass quite close because of a narrow lane or somebody passing me at the same time
- There's another rider or other obstacle coming up that is likely to cause him to change his line

If he's well pulled over to his side of the road, there's plenty of space and nothing else going on then I'll generally just give a bit of extra room and not bother saying anything. That said I'd rather people used "on your left" 100% of the time than not use it at all when they're passing closely.
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always use "Coming through, on your right" (I'm in the UK where we use the correct side of the road)
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [daleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daleks wrote:
I second the use of "passing left" instead of "on your left." I can't speak in the context of races, but this has proven to cause less pedestrian and other cyclist confusion over time.

I’ll say “on your left” and give them a “thank you” as I pass. It racing I’ll slow down
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local to me, this is ALWAYS an issue if there is any kind of trail or bike lane. Open road when training, not really.

But 90% of the time it's people walking or jogging with headphones right square in the middle of the trail or all the way left.

I guess these are the same self righteous left-lane camping drivers on the road too. They just forgot they're on a bike and not in a car.
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just pass them - if they are not riding on the right where they should be - I buzz them. Is it safe? eh debatable.

You should have squirted him with your water bottle as you passed and then just saw how long he could hang while he tried to chase you haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tell them "on your left" and when going buy I also remind them to stay right. Don't care if they get pissed or not......that's their problem.
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Since half of the people I pass are wearing ear-buds and the other half don't hear me until I'm right next to them I rarely say anything anymore.

This... it's such a roll of the dice as to what somebody will do when / if they hear you I generally just go by. I'm not terribly loud to start with unfortunately.
The bell is a good idea though. You can usually hear those a good ways off.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Passing on your left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grumpy guy aside, I've found that yelling out a direction typically results in athletes moving in that direction. As a result, "On your left" will yield an athlete moving to the left. Since most athletes know that they are supposed to be on the right, I've had more success with yelling, "Good morning". They move right. On the rare occasion that they don't move right, I substitute, "Excuse me please". That combo hasn't failed me.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya if they are being super arrogant and rude about it when I pass - I slow down - look them straight in the eye with a dead serious face - and say, "I will f**k your wife".

usually shuts them up - even if they are pissy - because who says that? haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The correct thing to do is buy a structural carbon disc wheel. People will move out of the way because they think Stringfellow Hawk is on their six.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People racing in the center of the road drive me nuts. I cannot cross the center line and I am not supposed to pass them on the right, so unless they move over I need to slow down. There should be a special penalty tent for these people...

In training, I have more of an issue with the "On your left" debate running than cycling. In my area, I find most cyclists expect it. It is the random pedestrian on the sidewalk I have a hard time passing. Either I run up and pass them and scare the s*** out of them by not saying something, or I scare the s*** out of them yelling 20 feet back that I am about to come by. Either-way, I seem to make them uncomfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
"On your left" is great if you want a decent percentage of people to veer left into you. Try "passing" instead.

I had some success with “Please stay on your right” followed by “thank you”.

That’s great for one off pass, but if there are tons of ppl on the course that gets old pretty quick.
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

The cool thing about bells is that most people instinctively move to the right upon hearing them. Rarely have I ever had anyone move to the left. Plus, they're just, I don't know...nicer.

Certain bell sounds also seem to make people nicer as well.

Before the "mini-cowbells" became the norm around here for MTBs (so other trail users would know a bike was descending towards them), I was already using a small "jingle bell" on my bike that's original purpose was for the end of a fishing rod as a bite alert. It was amazing all the smiles I saw on other trail users as I descended with that bell clamped to one of my brake cables. Instead of being surprised by my presence, they basically heard the sound of Christmas, or the Good Humor ice cream man as advanced warning. Who could be mad? :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did eagleman also. Definitely a decent amount of people riding center or left on the road. Not sure why anyone would be upset about asking them to move a certain direction. It takes like 2 seconds and zero effort to do so.

I also needed to pass a couple people through the little curvy section of the run through the trees. Just a quick "Comin' up on your left" and they would slow up and move over. I would make sure I wasn't buzzing them as I went by though even would hope off the sidewalk if needed so I gave them room.

Couple questions not directed at your specifically: If someone is riding close to the yellow line, what is the best course of action, pass them on the right or cross over the yellow to pass them on the left? I honestly usually pass left every time. I'll cross the yellow line if needed but also never pass anyone if a car is coming the opposite direction unless they are on the shoulder or almost on the white line. I'll just sit up and wait for the car to pass. Just not worth the risk of the person pulling left and me having to worry about hitting them or the car coming toward me.

If you come up on 2 or more people and one person begins to pass another, are you supposed to slow up and let that pass happen before you start your pass? or are you allowed to make a pass while another rider is making a pass (hope that makes sense)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep - also did Eagleman and noticed some bizzaro and annoying bike behavior as well.

My pet peeve is left lane hoggers when driving, also hate it when riding. Make your pass, then move right. Don't hang out in the "left lane." Almost everyone is bound to get passed, unless you're going to win, so drop the ego and move right.

Because of the left lane hoggers at Eagleman, I saw a couple people pass on the right and a couple people go across the yellow line into the oncoming traffic lane to make their pass - yikes, I never recommend either of those moves.

On the opposite end of the spectrum - I saw a guy that ended up so far right that a little lapse in concentration and he hit the edge of the pavement and took a tumble. Luckily he didn't take anyone else down with him and he got right back up...but still, ouch!

But really - on the whole, it was a pretty spacious and draft-free ride.
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When riding on a road with those road reflectors. I find it great practice to weave in and out of them in the aero bars - akin to a skier and doing poles. That way, during a race, you are always prepared to weave in whatever direction fits your fancy. Is it dangerous? Oh absolutely. But I also take my salad dressing right on my salad and not on the side, where there is no going back.
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
I suggest using a normal speaking voice to avoid the startle response. Also, I say, "On your left, Sweet Cheeks," to soften it a little. Works great so far!

Yep, Jane, you could get away with that

I'd get punched

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
The correct thing to do is buy a structural carbon disc wheel. People will move out of the way because they think Stringfellow Hawk is on their six.

Now that sir, is a nice reference!

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In training, I have more of an issue with the "On your left" debate running than cycling. In my area, I find most cyclists expect it.

In training, it's the same for me. Never really have an issue with cyclists. Unless I know I'm going to scare them by sneaking up on them, or if they are riding erratically, I just pass. In a race though, people assume that the road belongs to the cyclists since it's race day. And they are riding, so they can do what they want on the road. Very annoying. I still only say anything when I think there is a legitimate chance of a collision or if I really need to pass and they are actively blocking and not making their own pass.

I live in an area with miles and miles of multi use paths. Plenty of people just taking a stroll. I only run on those trails, but always have to pass people taking up the whole trail. And that's no issue. It's a family out with their kids or something and that's what makes where I live enjoyable. But as soon as you say on your left or something, it's like a mad scramble to figure out what to do. So instead, I just try to get as noisy as possible from far back. I'll purposefully look for leaves to run through or start coughing and breathing louder. Usually does a better job than the verbal "on your left". No idea why, but if they hear you "naturally" it doesn't seem to get the same panicky response.
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Certain bell sounds also seem to make people nicer as well.

Before the "mini-cowbells" became the norm around here for MTBs (so other trail users would know a bike was descending towards them), I was already using a small "jingle bell" on my bike that's original purpose was for the end of a fishing rod as a bite alert. It was amazing all the smiles I saw on other trail users as I descended with that bell clamped to one of my brake cables. Instead of being surprised by my presence, they basically heard the sound of Christmas, or the Good Humor ice cream man as advanced warning. Who could be mad? :-)

Absolutely. The "jingle" bells offer up a much nicer sound runners, walkers, and hikers genuinely seem to appreciate. On the dirt, we all need to be out there "shaking hands and kissing babies" to protect our ability to access the roads/trails. It's amazing how far a simple "Enjoy your run/walk/hike" goes.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still say on your left, and if they get angry, I slow down and politely listen then say

"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! I Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
Quote Reply
Re: is "on your left" no longer the polite way to pass? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
Ya if they are being super arrogant and rude about it when I pass - I slow down - look them straight in the eye with a dead serious face - and say, "I will f**k your wife".

usually shuts them up - even if they are pissy - because who says that? haha

Wow, I kinda like it. I will definitely add this to my list of "on your left" warnings.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just blow my General Lee horn and go over the top, while screaming "YeeeHawwww![/img]
Quote Reply

Prev Next