Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: indoor cycling training [tballco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tballco wrote:
^^^ A little spam gave this a great thread a timely bump given the time change this weekend.

Yeah, when I saw "we daily invested 20-25 min working out at home and finally we have yield results", I knew it was spam. Wrong audience. Maybe this should have been posted on a Crossfit forum...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made my own in the workout creator. Currently, there is no way to share it through Trainerroad, though.

http://www.trainerroad.com/...ides/447691-Metcalfe
Last edited by: geauxtri: Oct 29, 13 15:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Eichorn
Quote Reply
Re: indoor cycling training [geauxtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks both! geauxtri, wow you've been doing it a bunch, and it looks like it's working. Nice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had created that workout plus a 2x30 workout for the off season. Then I sprained my ankle, and couldn't run so I decided to just try out these workouts in lieu of the last 4 weeks of the TT plan I was following. I've found them a great way to start the day, and at an 1h or 1h20m, it doesn't take up too much time to complete.

Current plan is to stick with this through December. Once January rolls around, I'll try to line up plans around races. I really liked the 40K TT plan and will probably stick with it as my lead out plan to races next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried to do regular 2x20s or even 2x 30s @ FTP, and all I can say is WOW HARD.

They sound so easy to do in theory. In practice, what a world of hurt.

I don't bust them out until the 2 months before race day anymore since they're so depressingly hard to do. I would lose all joy in cycling if I had do do these several times per week, even though they are so darn time efficient.
Quote Reply
Re: indoor cycling training [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These workouts are not at FTP. These are around 85% to 88% FTP. I have my workout set at 85% for the 20 min or 30 min segments, but usually ride somewhere between 88% to 91%.

Read this comment in the thread http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=4193285#4193285. It's all about tempo, which can be done day in and day out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
.... the two 20' sections usually average ~85-88% of FTP.

The important things are:

1. The workouts are physically hard enough, but not too hard.
2. They are something I can do day after day.
3. They are not something that make me dread getting on the bike (like say, 2x20' @ FTP would).
4. The workout is mentally easy. On Mt. Diablo, I'll do 40' @ Tempo or even FTP and that's not so hard mentally. 40' @ Tempo on the trainer would be harder mentally than 2x20'.
5. The 10-20 second stand up breaks at 5, 10, and 15' in each 20' interval make it much easier mentally and more bite sized. You're never more than 5' from a break.

These are the bits that were the real revelation for me from Kevin's posts. I've been going too hard on the trainer. I then dread getting on the trainer, so I don't get on the trainer as often as I should. I'm going to try the go a little easier and more often approach. Makes sense to me.
Quote Reply
Re: indoor cycling training [Snyder2165] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a busy schedule, I struggle to get long hours in. I recently downloaded Sufferfest, The Downward Spiral. This features two sets of 17 mins (2 min on 2 min off, 1:45 on 1:45 off etc to 15 sec.) totaling 60 mins of spinning. It has been a big help to get me out of zone 1. Well worth the $12. When time permits, pop in your favorite TV series and spin for 2+ hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started doing the "Metcalfe" as well. I may get to 7 days/week, but for now have done 5 a couple weeks in a row which is more frequency that before. It's certainly repeatable as well as creating a decent fitness response which IMHO trumps all if you want to improve. What is the 40TT plan you refer to?
Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indoor is great for souplesse ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyTTu4Hmx6s

old skool drum rollers for flawless spinning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbwngNoHm0
Quote Reply
Re: indoor cycling training [mrwoodhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I followed the Mid Volume during the last training block before injuring my ankle. It was a really good plan. Will be using either the mid or high volume next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tballco wrote:
nslckevin wrote:

.... the two 20' sections usually average ~85-88% of FTP.

The important things are:

1. The workouts are physically hard enough, but not too hard.
2. They are something I can do day after day.
3. They are not something that make me dread getting on the bike (like say, 2x20' @ FTP would).
4. The workout is mentally easy. On Mt. Diablo, I'll do 40' @ Tempo or even FTP and that's not so hard mentally. 40' @ Tempo on the trainer would be harder mentally than 2x20'.
5. The 10-20 second stand up breaks at 5, 10, and 15' in each 20' interval make it much easier mentally and more bite sized. You're never more than 5' from a break.

These are the bits that were the real revelation for me from Kevin's posts. I've been going too hard on the trainer. I then dread getting on the trainer, so I don't get on the trainer as often as I should. I'm going to try the go a little easier and more often approach. Makes sense to me.

Reading some of these posts along with having started on the trainer this week got me to thinking.

I was able to get out for an afternoon ride on Diablo on Thursday. My legs were tired. Not like I had raced tired, but they were on the heavy side. When I get on the trainer in the morning it takes me a few minutes to get going, but it's not so bad.

The point is that these workouts are not easy and by the end of the week I can feel it. My weekend rides are NOT "training". I do the hard work during the week and the weekend is about having fun on the bike with my friends. This is how I get through the winter. Work during the week and long fun rides on the weekend. Sure I'll hit it hard here and there, but weekend rides are NOT "workouts". That's my approach.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: indoor cycling training [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a computrainer or better yet, find an indoor cycling gym so you can workout with others.

The computrainers now have several different software programs that work with them, so you will NEVER get bored.

IronMan real course videos, Erg Videos and now the AWESOME Tour de Giro software...can't beat it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching movies helps with the long rides, (action movies help get the pace going a little easier). Also spinning with other people while blasting some tunes really helps get the workout going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin, I have a question about your tempo workout program.
1. is this a good way to increase FTP or just maintain your FTP? i need to increase my FTP, but right now can only ride 3-4 days a week due to marathon focus and running about 70 miles a week right now. Would you use a different plan if you could only ride 3-4 times a week? i did your workout today (actually eichorn on trainer road, but its close to what you do) and averaged 88% on the 2 x20's. Good workout, not too taxing. legs were still a little tired from my 18 miler at MP+10 secs this am, but it seems like workout i should be able to do daily along with my running.
nslckevin wrote:
Tempo, tempo, tempo and more tempo. ~85% of FTP is where I usually land.

When the time changes I go indoors M-F (and on rainy weekend days because I'm a wuss).

1 hour each day.
10' warm up
20' @ Tempo
5' easy
20' @ Tempo
5' cool down and done.

During the 20' sets I pop it up a couple of gears and stand for about 10-15 seconds. Gives your butt a break and make the workout into easy 5' bite sized chunks.

If you are feeling good, ramp it up just a bit to sweet spot.

This is the shit that kills. Do this 5 days a week and get out for longer rides on the weekend and you will crush dreams on the bike come spring.

I don't bother with FTP intervals, VO2 max, sprints etc. on the trainer. It is too much mentally. It's going to be a long winter on the trainer and it's important to stay fresh mentally.

This should not be a killer workout. It might take a week or two to get into it, but you should be able to do this day after day after day. After I broke my collar bone at the end of December I did this workout 7 days a week for about 8 weeks. Coming off of this I rode a 51:32 40km in late April on a double out and back course at sea level. On about my 4th ride outside after the collar bone I did an FTP test. 375W for 20 minutes. Most of the trainer workouts were around 300-310W, once in a while as much as 320.

This is the shit that kills.

Important things for being on the trainer.

Fans. As many as you can reasonably use. I'm outside in the garage with the door open. Even when the outside temp is around 30 degrees F, I've got two fans on my when I'm working and still get pretty soaked in sweat. Ironically, there have been a few days where I wore shoe covers because my feet were really cold while my core was soaking in sweat.

I don't have a TV in the garage, I listen to music. I like to listen to podcasts most of the time, but on the bike when it's time to actually work it has to be music. Preferably 80's hair metal. :-) I like to visualize races that I want to win. On my trainer with a good Night Ranger song going, even Eddy Merckx fears me. :-) One of those Motorola blue tooth headsets is a nice touch. I can set my phone on the work bench next to me and control the volume and skip controls by pushing a button on the headset.

I broke my other collar bone in a crit on Aug 5th, 4.5 weeks before nationals. 3 weeks on the trainer, 1.5 on the road before I went to Bend. 2nd in the TT and I won the RR solo. The week after nationals I did the Mt. Tam hillclimb and won the 45+ group. It's about a 45 minute race depending on how fast your group goes on the flat section. On the main climb? 20' @ 400W.

Why are you still reading this? Get on your freaking trainer and do some Tempo!!!

There may be better indoor schedules and workouts, but you have to be willing to do them day in and day out. 7 days of tempo is better than 4 days of FTP and 3 days of "I can't face getting on my bike".

Good luck.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: indoor cycling training [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Kevin, I have a question about your tempo workout program.
1. is this a good way to increase FTP or just maintain your FTP? i need to increase my FTP, but right now can only ride 3-4 days a week due to marathon focus and running about 70 miles a week right now. Would you use a different plan if you could only ride 3-4 times a week? i did your workout today (actually eichorn on trainer road, but its close to what you do) and averaged 88% on the 2 x20's. Good workout, not too taxing. legs were still a little tired from my 18 miler at MP+10 secs this am, but it seems like workout i should be able to do daily along with my running.

I think that these workouts hold my FTP to a high level and minimize the winter drop off more than raise it. This is given that you are coming off of race fitness vs. trying to get fit. I would be surprised to see FTP gains from this on 3-4 days a week unless your current FTP is below what you are capable of. It could be a good way to keep your FTP from dropping though with a minimal investment in time given your current focus.

But I am NOT a coach or trained in any way shape or form as a coach or physiologist. I am just a bike racer who's been doing this a REALLY long time and found something that works pretty well by mooching bits and pieces from other people.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indoor cycling has certainly increased my endurance power. After loosing few inches, I feel pretty confident about myself. Infact, this exercise has inculcated enthusiasm in me and has increased my stamina to do more indoor cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering if Kevin or anyone else has thoughts on if there is anything magic about 2 x 20 mins tempo?

I'm thinking a 60 min workout with 4 x 10 mins or 3 x 13.3 mins at tempo with shorter breaks would be a way to mix it up. The trainerroad sweet spot base plans seem to take this approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After doing this workout since September, if anything, I'll make the intervals longer, not shorter. I've been doing 3-4 2x20 and 1-2 2x30 workouts each week. Just stand for bit, as Kevin suggests, to break it up if you need to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tballco wrote:
I'm wondering if Kevin or anyone else has thoughts on if there is anything magic about 2 x 20 mins tempo?

I'm thinking a 60 min workout with 4 x 10 mins or 3 x 13.3 mins at tempo with shorter breaks would be a way to mix it up. The trainerroad sweet spot base plans seem to take this approach.

You're riding at tempo pace. Why have a recovery break at all? It's more a mental break than anything or enough time to have a quick drink and give the lads a bit of saddle relief.

I'd be more inclined to not drop power periodically but rather to put in a punchy power effort periodically.

if riding nearer to threshold power level, then an occasional short break makes far more sense.
Quote Reply
Re: indoor cycling training [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watt Matters wrote:
tballco wrote:

You're riding at tempo pace. Why have a recovery break at all? It's more a mental break than anything or enough time to have a quick drink and give the lads a bit of saddle relief.

I'd be more inclined to not drop power periodically but rather to put in a punchy power effort periodically.

if riding nearer to threshold power level, then an occasional short break makes far more sense.

Have you tried it? 40 minutes at SS on a trainer is a real drag - that little break is huge for me in the middle of it. I'd end up forcing a break for position change anyway if I were doing a 40 straight at SS on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nslckevin's post is inspirational.

How (if at all) would you adjust this training regime to nail ironman distance?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of great stuff on this thread. My 2 cents- I believe that having good mechanical and muscular efficiency at a wide range of cadence is extremely important. For example- if you are climbing a 8-10 % extended grade, you need to be comfortable at lower cadence, and if you have a screaming downhill, you will be much faster if you can push 130 + cadence as opposed to 100. The trainer is a great place to work on this, so here is a set I like to do:
10 minute warm up- 90-95 RPM, easy
10 minutes 90-95 RPM at 75-85% FTP
10 minutes in hardest gear (ie- 53 x 11), keeping 75-85% FTP- this normally results in a cadence for me of 55-60
10 minutes in easiest gear (ie- 39 x 25), I don't worry about % FTP, just the highest cadence I can maintain with good form, for me typically 125-130 RPM

I will typically repeat 2- 3 times, depending on motivation and where I am in the season. I try to do this at least once a week, mixed in with similar tempo sets that have been posted.
Have Fun :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kevin for all the great information. I looked at your Strava profile compared to me. Um, looks like I need to get to work and climb WAY more. (Diagnosed with asthma last years, it's taken a while to get under control, so limited climbing this year)

Would you say that your regimen might differ in that you have many years of work behind you? I've been cycling for 5 years and I'm 58. I also don't race (occasional TT which I like, though it hurts like hell) and various Fondos. My bike handling skills are too poor and would endanger other racers.

As for the trainer workouts, I'm currently (November/December) doing the Trainer Road Base Mid Volume 1 which is mostly Endurance. Last year I was doing more of the Sweet Spot.

Do you think theses Base levels are too easy?

Thanks

Avg Rides / Week75Avg Distance / Week469 km275 kmAvg Time / Week17hr 20m11hr 7mYEAR-TO-DATEDistance17,614.9 km11,078.7 kmTime646hr29m450hr38mElev Gain188,303m65,015mRides345248

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply

Prev Next