Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ice bath protocol ?
Quote | Reply
I've become a big believer in an ice bath after a long workout. However, I'm unsure of what to do after getting out of the bath. Stretch? Hot shower? what?
Quote Reply
Re: ice bath protocol ? [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first thing I usually do is check for excessive "shrinkage." Then I go somewhere warm.

I would not recommend stretching afterwards. Do that after your workout and before the icebath. I don't believe stretching muscles that are that cold is a good idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with Jaylew on the stretching thing...don't do it cold. I DO find that drinking the beer that was bobbing in the ice bath to be a nice relaxant.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: ice bath protocol ? [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To heck with after...

I won't do the ice bath unless I have a beer at hand during the process. See C'Guy's above for ideas as to brands. I've become a pretty big believer in the ice bath's benefits for recovery however.

I always follow with a brief hot shower to bring myself back to life.
Quote Reply
Re: ice bath protocol ? [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always take a cetain type of magazine in with me, helps prevent excess shrinkage!
Quote Reply
Re: ice bath protocol ? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I always take a cetain type of magazine in with me, helps prevent excess shrinkage!
No! Don't tell me you take the Triathlon Bathing Suit issue with you! Horrors!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also a fan of the ice bath and find it incredibly useful for recovery after a long training session or intense training session like a track work out.

The best way I have found to go about this is:

1) return from training session

2) Stretch

3) prepare recovery meal - shake/bar/etc.

4) sit in tub and eat recovery meal

5) shower

As always, ymmv. Keep in mind...Always stretch warm! Always eat after a training session.
Quote Reply