Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

i need advice on how to whip a kid into shape, quickly
Quote | Reply
My 22 year old nephew is taking a police department physical test on Nov 1 (Less than two weeks!!!). He needs to run 1.5 miles in 11 1/2 minutes -- I know that is easy for most of us here, but not for him. He has failed similar tests in the past. I don't know if he has ever run a sub 8 min mile in his life. He is active and healthy, but he is built like a solid defensive end -- he's about 6'3 240 lbs. He also has an old serious knee injury from HS baseball (It ended his playing career). His recent running has been a scant 1 - 1 1/2 miles runs 2 - 3 times per week. He probably hasn't run more than 20 minutes in any workout.

Any suggestions for a quick two week plan for him to get him to pass this test?

I have some ideas, but I'm looking for some help here.

thank you.

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Re: i need advice on how to whip a kid into shape, quickly [lacverde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not possible, he will either do it or he will not. Any crash program risks making him slower by tiring him out.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: i need advice on how to whip a kid into shape, quickly [lacverde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it seems you have an impossible situation on your hands. There is no majic training program that can accomplish what you needing to do in such a short period of time.

My only suggestion is to try and remember this... It's not about running fast but rather not slowing down as much throughout the required distance. That's not much, but it's the only suggestion I can make. To attempt to train at an intense level (or even at a proper level) at this point would likely make his situation worse and decrease is chances for success.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try water running.
Quote Reply
Re: i need advice on how to whip a kid into shape, quickly [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i fully understand that a crash program will not work, i just am looking for ideas on what he can do in the next two weeks to improve his chances. my idea was to have him do 3 - 4 easy runs of about 20 - 25 minutes and put him on a track one day and do a few fast laps, mainly to give him confidence that he can go faster; then teach him to start slower in the run and build speed so he doesn't slow down and lose confidence during the test. I know this is a lot for him in a short time, but simply having him do what he is doing will not work either.

Thanks for the advice.

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Frank that any amount of running now runs the risk of tiring him out and making him sore for "race day". His ability to pass is dependent on "how badly" he wants to get in. If he is generally in good shape, I bet you that he can suck it up for 11:29 on race day and pass the test. You need to mentally train him to deal with 11:29 of pain. This is likely the single best thing that you can do to help him. He needs to brainwash himself that he can do it and keep working through the pain on "race day" with the ultimate goal in mind. We needs to repeat the words, "I want it...I can do it", every ten seconds. By the way, this is often the difference between a gold and silver medalist :-).

When I was in the CDN military 20 years ago, we had a recruit in my section who failed the 10.5 min mile and half run 14 times and was finally going to get kicked out if he could not do it the 15th time. Once he realized that he would get kicked out he went 10:00 flat with no additional training !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If hes serious about accomplishing this and is willing to work he can. I disagree that he'll be too tired for "race" day. he needs to at least give it a shot..

i would have him run twice a day but only for 10 to 12 minutes each time....a single 10 minute run will not tired him out, relatively, and if he does it twice per day that will help build his endurance and speed. if he tries to do one single run at 20-25 minutes there is no point. long slow running breeds slow running times. if he were to do a "long" run (20-25) once every four days that would be good. and only have him run once on that day. hes not going to build speed and endurance by running "long" everyday, he has to start out with short stuff first. he also needs to develop a sense for what pace he needs to run to make the distance. if he runs long everyday he's guaranteed to go out way too fast and die...

i would recommend that if the test is on a Wednesday, lets say, that he does a short 5 minute run on Tuesday and takes Monday compleltely off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you suggest is not "whipping him into shape" but rather imparting a little knowledge and "smarts" to him to help. what you suggest sounds fine.

Another knowledge and smarts thing you might impart to him is such words as "success comes to those who are prepared".

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply