Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

iNine Torch Hubs Durability?
Quote | Reply
Anybody here run iNine torch hubs on a gravel/ cx/ commuter/ do-all bike? It's not my most used bike, but I use it for some road rides, gravel"ish" rides, cx racing, and a handful of commutes per week where I don't need to haul stuff; will probably be ~4 hrs a week. I won't run them in straight up snow, but they'll be used during the winter months (Boston commuting). I have another set of wheels that will have studded tires for really gnarly days. I do keep up with maintenance on this bike pretty well, but I don't want to have to be pulling the hubs apart every week.
Quote Reply
Re: iNine Torch Hubs Durability? [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using them, but I only recently got them for my all-road bike. They are Chris King loud freehub wise. I heard alot of good things from the MTB side of things so I decided to try them out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my race wheels are all i-9 (team) and I love the engagement and bling. That said the freehub bearings have demonstrated a lack of longevity and my training wheels are replaced roughly every other month. You'll know it's time when you hear it. Still like them though, they're just not maintenance free. If i were buying hubs, i'd stick w/ DT but that's just like my opinion man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have about 3k hard gravel miles on a pair of UL 235CX on torch hubs, I absolutely love them. I wail on that bike too! I will be building up a road wheelset on that hub this winter.

FishOutofWater wrote:
Anybody here run iNine torch hubs on a gravel/ cx/ commuter/ do-all bike? It's not my most used bike, but I use it for some road rides, gravel"ish" rides, cx racing, and a handful of commutes per week where I don't need to haul stuff; will probably be ~4 hrs a week. I won't run them in straight up snow, but they'll be used during the winter months (Boston commuting). I have another set of wheels that will have studded tires for really gnarly days. I do keep up with maintenance on this bike pretty well, but I don't want to have to be pulling the hubs apart every week.
Quote Reply
Re: iNine Torch Hubs Durability? [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! What kind of conditions mileage are you putting on your training wheels before the freehub bearing goes? I don't think I would ever actually spend retail on these hubs, but i got an absurd deal on a wheelset with them from a buddy.
Quote Reply
Re: iNine Torch Hubs Durability? [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim_Canterbury wrote:
my race wheels are all i-9 (team) and I love the engagement and bling. That said the freehub bearings have demonstrated a lack of longevity and my training wheels are replaced roughly every other month. You'll know it's time when you hear it. Still like them though, they're just not maintenance free. If i were buying hubs, i'd stick w/ DT but that's just like my opinion man.

I'm surprised to hear this.

I'm running i9 for race and training wheels on my CX bikes and couldn't be happier. Even after a muddy JingleCross Weekend(2 days of racing + training), pitting and powerwashing every lap, there was no contamination in the bearings.

I run Finishline extreme fluoro in the bearings and a light layer of Phil Wood Waterproof outside between the seals and the end caps.
They are not maintenance free. I pull freehubs and bearings a few times a year to clean, but I do the same with my DT Swiss hubs as well.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't say I track miles/hours per wheelset but we're looking at roughly 12hrs/wk mtb Spring to Fall. Mostly dry conditions. It's not that changing the bearings is hard or expensive - and everyone rides differently, different conditions, cleaning, blah blah blah. I just know that virtually everyone on our team has the same issues/this isn't really anecdotal.

groad wheels have been pretty solid but don't suffer nearly the use/abuse of my mtb hoops.

again, I love them and (most importantly) the colors match my bikes ;) but will be building up some dt hoops for training this upcoming season. ymmv
Quote Reply