Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how to speed up tarsal stess fracture healing
Quote | Reply
So I found out that I have a stress fracture, or am at least close to one at the base of my 3rd metatarsal on the ball of my right foot. X-rays were neg so it hasnt progressed to that point, but it does cause noticeable pain throughout the day.

My main question that I have is if anyone has any advice on how to help speed the healing (shoes, foot pads, tiger piss, etc)?

I have LP in 2 months and I can't run until it heals a little further, and I like would love to speed this up, as do all injured type-a's I guess. A little background; I assume I got it from overtraining after trying to come back too fast after CS surgery and trying to become more of a midfoot striker.

Thanks!
Last edited by: tri-n-climb: May 14, 12 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: how to speed up tarsal stess fracture healing [tri-n-climb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone stimulator. My experience at: http://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/...ittle-bone-stim.html

I've known several other people who used the exogen, and all had great results.
Quote Reply
Re: how to speed up tarsal stess fracture healing [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go with the bone growth stimulator and some forced vascular flow - so, you need to get yourself into a centrifuge and force some additional blood to your leg....I promise it will work.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check your diet that is is full of natural based vitamin K,C,D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the bone stim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D vitamin, Calcium.

D vitamins helps in the absorption of Calcium and calcium is used in bones growth/density.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I literally just finished my first run at lunch today after 3 weeks off with a similar injury. Never went for xrays. But was kept to a limp walk for 2.5 weeks. Finally, after R.I.C.E multiple times every day, I was able to to get 3mi in at a decent pace. I assume you have been icing and elevating also. But biggest thing would probably be rest. Dont try and get back to fast. What is worse: missing out on running prior to a race, or running and injuring yourself to the point you can't even try to race?

-----------------------------------------------------
But, he said I was an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jell-o... the red ones

If my body isn't strong enough... I hope my wallet will be.
Quote Reply
Re: how to speed up tarsal stess fracture healing [kwolo8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I've been rocking the limp walk pretty good lately. I have taken quite a bit of time (3-4 weeks) off from running now already though I have continued to bike, swim, and climb at my usual pace (doc ok-ed it). My flip turns have also become kind of 1.5 feet instead of 2 on the wall. I went for a 20 min super light jog last night and just that has it hurting more again today already.

I'm on top of the nutrition I think, supplementing what I think I need higher levels of that my diet isnt already supplying. I have gotten lazy with the RICE so I probably need to get back on that wagon. The other problem is that I am a health and pe teacher so I am on my feet all day long.

I'll look into the bone stim (anyone interested in selling one cheap ;) ?). I was also thinking about fashioning something from padding or support that isnt quite a walking boot but something that will at least add extra support or padding on the ball of my foot. Anybody have any ideas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, I have also kept up with biking and swimming. The first couple days in the water caused some irritation from kicking and flip turns. But has subsided now. I am going to jeep on the RICE rest of the week. Got first at end of the month, should be good to go!

Goodluck on your recovery!

-----------------------------------------------------
But, he said I was an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SFxed a metatarsal several years ago. Wear stiff shoes that don't flex. I wore a pair of dress shoes every day that had a very hard sole that didn't allow my foot to flex. Don't run on it!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: how to speed up tarsal stess fracture healing [alexvpaq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure the calcium is calcium citrate or calcium lactate, far fewer biochemical processes to absorb. Calcium carbonate is pharmaceutical waste and isn't nearly as effective. Take with D and 2-4g fish oils. If you're desperate for more go to a sports doctor and have them shine cold laser regularly on the area to promote mitochondrial production to accelerate the healing.

"No matter how hard you train, Somebody will train harder. No matter how hard you run, Somebody will run harder. No matter how hard you want it, Somebody will want it more, I am Somebody"~ST Post
Quote Reply
Re: how to speed up tarsal stess fracture healing [Zev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest the stimulator also, but not the exogen. I would check out the Biomet stimulator. They have a lot more studies out there that prove the longer you where it the faster it heals.

David

H & A Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a good sports science facility around, there is a treadmill you can use that simulates running under less gravity, so you can at least get your runs in while waiting for it to heal.
Quote Reply
Re: how to speed up tarsal stess fracture healing [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R10C wrote:
I would go with the bone growth stimulator and some forced vascular flow - so, you need to get yourself into a centrifuge and force some additional blood to your leg....I promise it will work.

I pass out COLD in those heinous things.

Seriously, rest up and check with PT about your options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing really can "speed it up", but you can do a few things to mitigate slowing it down! 'Gotta swim and bike some if IMLP is going to happen, so if you can obtain an external bone growth stimulator (either ultrasound like the Exogen unit, or EMF), great, but if not covered by insurance for a "stress reaction/fracture" (and they likely would not be), they are very expensive ($3-4K). Vit D/Calcium not a bad idea, but you probably aren't deficient. Lastly, get this and put it in your work/everyday shoes to limit stress through the met. http://www.myfootshop.com/...il.asp?productid=882

Re: how to speed up tarsal stess fracture healing [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof wrote:
Lastly, get this and put it in your work/everyday shoes to limit stress through the met. http://www.myfootshop.com/...il.asp?productid=882

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but can you run with these foot plates?
Quote Reply
Re: how to speed up tarsal stess fracture healing [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Technically yes, but if an athlete is “injured” you should allow this heal first before running!

Sprinting is greatly limited, walking not much at all, running up to about a 5 min/mile pace doable for some

Re: how to speed up tarsal stess fracture healing [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a stress reaction in my third metatarsal. Instead of not running for 2+ weeks, I was wondering if cutting back on mileage and using this plate would be sufficient to allow healing?
Quote Reply