Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk
Quote | Reply
Answer: train hard. :-)

Ratio of average power to average heart rate during 4 min intervals in an elite athlete doing six such efforts once per week:

Week #1: 1.76 W/(beat/min)
Week #2: 1.79 W/(beat/min) (+1.7%)
Week #3: 1.81 W/(beat/min) (+2.8%)
Week #4: 1.85 (W/beat/min) (+4.8%)
Week #5: (TBD)

Okay, so the experiment is ongoing...but based on the apparent rules-of-evidence of this forum, I'd say that it's fair to ass u me that this subject with another 8 wk of training this subject's power:heart rate ratio during such efforts will be up ~15% in total. ;-)
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 22, 07 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're not telling the whole truth here. Isn't this athlete using Red Shoes (tm)?
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, no, no.... These guys are on Power Cranks! You must use Power Cranks to see the improvement, as demonstrated in studies performed by Dr. Andrew Coggan.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, they HAVE to be on PC's!
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You're not telling the whole truth here. Isn't this athlete using Red Shoes (tm)?
You know, you might be onto something: they recently changed from Blue Shoes^TM to White Shoes^TM. I'll have to review their records to see whether that was before or during this 4 wk period of time.
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm told HR is pretty meaningless.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

No Mars...it's not the shoes - MJ

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: May 21, 07 15:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see error bars... but I'm sure you have them, yes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. It's got to be a trick question...

"I would say that if you can measure power and perceived effort, HR is, at best, of somewhat limited value and at worst, a red herring."

(a quote from "Understanding Heart Rate - 7 Questions with Andy Richard Coggan, PhD" Performance Conditioning Cycling - Vol. 10, No.1)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
You know, you might be onto something: they recently changed from Blue Shoes^TM to White Shoes^TM. I'll have to review their records to see whether that was before or during this 4 wk period of time.
I think they should randomly change back and forth between Blue Shoes and White Shoes in order to make the tests statistically significant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they ought to get rid of get rid of any measurement tools except a stopwatch.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: lschmidt: May 21, 07 16:08
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the author is being facetious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, what is this athlete's training like the rest of the week? I'm assuming that the 6 intervals are conducted in a single workout. Thanks.

-------
Joe

Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"No Mars...it's not the shoes - MJ "
- - Why you wanna do me that way, Money?

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [JoeyRocketJoey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just out of curiosity, what is this athlete's training like the rest of the week? I'm assuming that the 6 intervals are conducted in a single workout. Thanks.
Your assumption is correct. As for the rest of their weekly training, it is a mixture of level 2, 3, and 4 workouts, with ATL running 115-135 TSS/d (and their functional threshold power is up >10% in just 3 mo).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Ratio of average power to average heart rate during 4 min intervals in an elite athlete doing six such efforts once per week"

Interesting. I have always liked doing 4 minute intervals on the trainer. I'll set the timer for 2 minutes and then I will do 4 minutes hard and then vary the recovery between 2 and 4 minutes depnding on how I feel.

Are the 4 minutes done all out? What would be the best recovery interval?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or maybe the subject is on an uncalibrated computrainer!
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [tomd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Or maybe the subject is on an uncalibrated computrainer!"
I think Andy recalibrates between each interval.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you only used the 2x20 ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wold advocate injecting pedaling efficiency into that analysis:

Cycling Prowess Indicator (CPI) = (Average Power (P) + Spinscan # (SC))/Average HR (AHR)

CPI = (P + SC)/AHR

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I missing something?

Ass u ming an average HR of 160 on a short interval

1.85 W/BPM * 160 BPM = 296 W

An "elite" athlete?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming 190

1.85*190=350w

A very good elite triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: how to increase your maximal power:heart ratio by 15% in just 12 wk [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
An "elite" athlete?
Yup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So in 24 weeks I could increase by 30%?

Awesome.
Quote Reply

Prev Next