Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how refurbish TM
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about getting used running TM. I would like to get the TM refurbished but I want to be sure it is done properly so I will probably do it myself.
Is there by any chance somebody who has experience with TM refurbishing? I am particulary interested in Life Fitness treadmills. Do you know about some web/video with advice on how to service TM? What is the best place to get parts like screws and bearings?
Quote Reply
Re: how refurbish TM [Marty85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a used commercial precor it had a lot of miles on it. On mine you could flip the deck over to expose a fresh wear surface which I did. there were a number of rubber bumpers that supported the deck to provide the cushioning so I decided to replace those. I bought a new rubber belt that you run on cleaned the motor out with a vacuum cleaner, waxed the deck, calibrated the speed is best as I could with a bicycle computer and threw it back together those things are built to take a nuclear bomb hit.
Quote Reply
Re: how refurbish TM [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK thank you for your advice. Do I have to grease some other parts of the TM other than the belt?

Edit: These are the rubber bumpers you were talking about ( https://www.gympart.com/...esc.aspx?ic=LST139.5 )?
Last edited by: Marty85: Dec 12, 19 9:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, those. I think the parts you want are those rubber things the walking belt perhaps the deck and perhaps the drive belt and some wax. You can slide your hand underneath the rubber belt and feel the condition of the deck it might be fine. Most of the commercials have a deck that you can flip upside down so feel up underneath and see if the deck has already been flipped by the prior owner. I bought aftermarket parts for mine and they've been working fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marty

Happy to help if and when you do get something. It will be a case by case basis.

No matter what, you will be replacing the belt and deck. This is not an optional replacement, If you replace one you replace the other.

Anything else you replace will be a case by case basis, and determined once you get the unit and check it out, and tear into it.

It can really be a can of worms if you are looking to go into cosmetics and start powder coating stuff.

The good news, if you are handy, nothing is hard and YouTube can be your friend.
Quote Reply
Re: how refurbish TM [J.Thompson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J.Thompson wrote:
Marty

Happy to help if and when you do get something. It will be a case by case basis.

No matter what, you will be replacing the belt and deck. This is not an optional replacement, If you replace one you replace the other.

Anything else you replace will be a case by case basis, and determined once you get the unit and check it out, and tear into it.

It can really be a can of worms if you are looking to go into cosmetics and start powder coating stuff.

The good news, if you are handy, nothing is hard and YouTube can be your friend.

OK, thank you. Right now I am trying to find out some regular maintenance rules besides of cleaning and vacuum the dust in TM. I thought it could be good to oil some moving parts in the engine (e.g. bearings?), maybe the drive belt also... or is it really enough to just get rid of the dust on regular basis?

When I have the unit I let you know how bad it looks like inside :D.

Edit: I tried to contact the local service company and I think I can do the most work myself. I have asked what they do when they refurbish the TM and most of the stuff was the same as you recommended. Only things I didn't understand was "refurbishing the engine" (they did not tell me specifics so I don't know what exactly they can do with it) and also the proposed changing the bearings. Are there any other bearings in TM other than the ones near the engine (e.g. roller's bearings)?

Edit2: OK if the bearings are sealed that would be maybe only thing I could not repair. But if I understand correctly it should not require replacement.
Last edited by: Marty85: Dec 12, 19 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s the benefit of a commercial tread, very low maintenance. Most brands do not require any lubrication. Bearings will be sealed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am about to buy the LF 95T Inspire. The treadmill works fine just the display has red color. The owner claims it just needs calibration. Is that so and do you know have to calibrate the display?

Thank you very much
Last edited by: Marty85: Dec 18, 19 5:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marty85 wrote:
I am about to buy the LF 95T Inspire. The treadmill works fine just the display has red color. The owner claims it just needs calibration. Is that so and do you know have to calibrate the display?

Thank you very much

This does not sound right. I would have to see a picture of what you mean by "red color". A calibration is easy, I would ask that he contact LF and they walk him through it real quick before you go looking at the machine, or go to look at it and call life fitness while you are there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have already seen the treadmill. There was no picture with the display ON so I discovered this defect on the spot. The display shows the menu / pictures - it works but it is all red (like there is used more red in RGB spectrum so maybe it can be calibrated).

Edit: Also seller was claiming the 95T Inspire is self-lubricating and it doesn't need any oil/wax to grease the belt and the deck. Is that true?
Last edited by: Marty85: Dec 18, 19 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never seen a red tint to screen. So I don’t know if calibration would work. I would ask the guy to try, and if that does not fix it, adjust your offer. Worst case scenario, you could send in for repairs, probably cost $300.

He is correct about the belt, older life fitness treads has a wax system, but newer models have maintenance free belts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok thank you for the information. So there is some tank with oil inside the treadmill or it is completely without lubrication?

Edit: I suppose the belt must be original from Life Fitness (OEM) to be maintenance free right? His belt was definitely some third party product because there wan no LF logo. So this belt I should grease?
Last edited by: Marty85: Dec 18, 19 7:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feel free to P.M. me on here.

Only the old machines had a wax bladder, this one will not.

Unless you know the manufacture or brand of aftermarket belt, I wouldn't put anything on it (different brands use different lube). If you are in this for the investment, I would replace belt and deck and start from scratch.
Quote Reply