Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how often do you take in fluids on the bike in a 70.3 ride
Quote | Reply
Hey folks,

How often do you take in fluids on the the bike say during a 70.3 ride? Every 5 min every 10, 20, 30min? Of course given that the total volume per hour is the same?

I realized that on the road bike I only drink every 20 min or so but then a large amount. On the tt bike with a BTA I sip every couple of min since it is hard to drink larger amounts at once from that thing (at least in my setup).

Are there pros and cons for drinking more or less frequently?

Reason I am asking is that I tend to get side stitches on the run after the bike leg. It only happens in races and not in training (in training I have my bottle on the frame though), so I was wondering if drinking too often could mess with my breathing or whatever....these side stitches are really annoying and slowing me down on the run.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Best,
Uli
Quote Reply
Re: how often do you take in fluids on the bike in a 70.3 ride [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This one has to be highly personal and you'll have to test it out in races or race simulation days. I find I feel better on the run when I drink less often, but more volume each time I drink. When I've tried sipping small amounts more often I get 'burpy' and feel like I'm constantly struggling to keep it down on the run. Drinking every 15 minutes or so seems to be good for me. Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: how often do you take in fluids on the bike in a 70.3 ride [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drink every 15 mins or so while I ride. Front hydration system (sports drink mix), aero bottle on the tube (gels and water). Bottle behind the saddle (water).

Would you mind sharing what you are drinking? I think this is an equally important question.
Quote Reply
Re: how often do you take in fluids on the bike in a 70.3 ride [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Would you mind sharing what you are drinking? I think this is an equally important question.

...I only drink sports drink. No water. I try to get in about 30 fl oz per hour ( 900mL). Never had any stomac issues....only stitches. I am probably overthinking this issue but thought maybe other people have ideas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously weather can play a favor but I try for a bottle per hour, drinking every 15 minutes or so. Drinking based on thirst never works for me and I end up not drinking nearly enough.
Quote Reply
Re: how often do you take in fluids on the bike in a 70.3 ride [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Obviously weather can play a favor but I try for a bottle per hour, drinking every 15 minutes or so. Drinking based on thirst never works for me and I end up not drinking nearly enough.

Depending on the size bottle you use we could be taking 18-24 oz. I would sayin the neighborhood of 24oz-30oz of sports drink would be a good amount. I would also mix in some water to dilute the sports drink a bit. I actually make my own sports drink with maltodextrin, water, orange juice, and a pinch of salt.
Quote Reply