Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: how long after hip pin removal [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your insight. I can't cross my left leg over my good one either. My left leg was already shorter than my right leg which may be the cause of my severe scoliosis. The scoliosis is the main reason I have not considered competing in triathlons. My back has always given me a great deal of pain making it nearly impossible for me to ride in a tuck position for any length of time. That being the case, I decided to improve on my climbing ability to make up for slower speeds on the flats. In a cycling only race, I can basically draft off of someone until we get to the hills and drop them there. That however doesn't solve the problem with running. Running for more than 100 feet of so causes so much pain in my back that I can't continue. For the reasons listed above, I have to stick with cycling. Not that's a problem though. Having been brought up about half of my life in France, cycling has always been of real interest to me. It's also done a lot of good for me. I only raced in single stage races, which prevented me from having to ride in time trials. That kept my inability of riding in the tuck much less of an issue. Now I ride both for fitness as well as enjoyment. I still enjoy the challenging rides, particularly when they include some good hills but I no longer compete, at least, officially. I'm always open to finding someone in the group rides who wants to test themselves against others.

Let me ask you, how involved it the screw removal surgery? Once they remove the screws, is there a certain amount of time needed to allow the holes in your femoral neck to heal? I would imagine the holes eventually fill in with new bone. I'm asking because you got me thinking about another crash. As you know, crashes are always going to happen, sooner or later. I had never thought about the pins themselves being dangerous in a spill. Thanks for mentioning that.

By the way, are you still experiencing edema? My ankle still swells but it swells most on my recovery days. I have found that on the days that I have an intense ride, after the ride the swelling has gone down. It seems the more intense or the longer the ride the greater the effect. Have you noticed this as well?

Thanks again,

Eric
Last edited by: type 1 cyclist: Aug 27, 14 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: how long after hip pin removal [Roadndirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you tell me if you had a displaced hip fracture?

I recently had surgery for displaced hip fracture and would like to know what kind of outcome I might expect.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: how long after hip pin removal [Trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never had my pins removed. I decided to wait it out. I am not a fast runner at all anymore, but that was due to less and less running from hip pain on and off since the original accident - my biking no problem.
My femoral neck was not displaced, but when the pins were placed I am sure that it was not the same as before. Mine was crushed from a direct impact on my hip when I flew off my mountain bike and landed straight down onto that hip. I do not think there was any way to get the same neck as before in length. I suspect that even a few millimeters would throw my gait off.
I am mostly a mtn biker now.
Not to say I have slacked off from athletics. I have shifted my efforts. Orienteering, 24 hour Rogaines, Longer distance bike racing. Goruck. Things that do not require sustained running race pace.
Taking those pins out sounds like another period of convalescence with no clear guarantee it will make a difference.
Why you would want your pins removed is something you have to determine. Pain?
My biggest thing was to alter my sleep position through the years. The stress of having your leg in a position that affects the hip due to prolonged same position through the night I feel has been the source of most of my pain. I say that because the results of sleeping different have been positive.
You know you break a hip and it is a whole new world for you.
I wish you luck.
Quote Reply
Re: how long after hip pin removal [Roadndirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have three pins in my hip due to a skiing accident. When I stretch, my hip feels like it needs to pop like any other joint, but it never does. Does anyone else have this feeling?
Quote Reply
Re: how long after hip pin removal [Trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you now sir? I also had DHS. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you now sir since the removal? Is it worth it? Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you now sir? Is it worth it to remove the screw? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: how long after hip pin removal [BionicTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you now sir? You think removing or not removing the screw can lessen the risk of getting arthritis. Planning to remove my DHS. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: how long after hip pin removal [Xtian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xtian wrote:
How are you now sir? You think removing or not removing the screw can lessen the risk of getting arthritis. Planning to remove my DHS. Thanks

He has cannulated screws in his hip and not a DHS. They are quite different and removing the DHS is a bigger procedure in some ways.
Quote Reply

Prev Next