any recommendations? thanks much!
Quote Reply
Re: how about books on stretching? [mja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Stretching" by Bob Anderson
Quote Reply
Re: how about books on stretching? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob's book has been the "Bible" for some 20 years or more, no need to go anywhere else. G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used 2 books for teaching, both by Michael J. Alter. "The Science of Flexibility" will teach you everything about stretching and muscle physiology plus has some cool pictures of contortionists. It costs about $45-50 new and is a hardcover. "Sport Stretch" is only about $12-15 and is a good reference if you do not care to learn the nuts and bolts behind flexibility.
Quote Reply
Active Isolated Stretching [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I highly recommend Jim and Phil Wharton's Stretch Book. They detail active isolated strecthes for the whole body

I have found no other method of stretching that you can do on your own to be as effective in healing and preventing injuries.

The longevity of Regina Jacobs, a long time client of the Wharton's, is a testament to AI.
Quote Reply
Re: Active Isolated Stretching [michaelg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can even check out the website for the man who developed AIS and taught the Wharton's. His name is Aaron Mattes the website is www.stretchingusa.com.

-Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Active Isolated Stretching [Kinesio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the site. This is a good description of AIS taken from it.

Over the past decades many experts have advocated prolonged stretch up to 60 seconds. For years, this prolonged static stretch technique was the gold standard. Prolonged static stretching actually decreases the blood flow within the tissue creating localized ischemia and lactic acid buildup. This potentiates irritation or injury of local muscular, tendonous, lymphatic as well as neural tissues, similar to the effects and consequences of trauma and overuse syndromes.

AIS: The Mattes Method, is an effective treatment for deep and superficial fascial release, restoring proper fascial planes for optimal physiologic function. Performing an Active Isolated Stretch of no greater than 2.0 seconds allows the target muscle to optimally lengthen without triggering the protective stretch reflex and subsequent reciprocal antagonistic muscle contraction as the isolated muscle achieves a state of relaxation. Maximal beneficial stretch can be accomplished without opposing tension or resulting trauma.

Mattes Method myofascial release technique incorporates AIS which uses active movement and reciprocal inhibition to achieve optimal flexibility. Using a 2.0-second stretch has proven to be the key in avoiding reflexive contraction of the antagonistic muscle. Without activating muscle group contraction, restoration of full range of motion and flexibility can be successfully achieved.

also check out www.aistretch.com the Wharton's site. They have a clinic in NYC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered a copy of Stretching Scientifically from www.stadion.com. The author takes an 'Eastern European' approach which I've found really useful in other forms of training, so I'd like to give it a shot.

You might check it out.
Quote Reply