Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Police are the second worst driver in cars. Their children are worse because they were taught by them.

My father is a driving instructor and he has had to retain police children for about double the hours a normal child takes to learn to drive a car. Police are taught to drive fast and corner and crash not to drive like real people. When they teach their children to drive they usually crash and break most laws.
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hit by a NYS Trooper while riding a bike when I was 16 and he didn't even stop.
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [Raul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can not agree more, "I must have dozed off" WTF?!?! If I was a family member of one of the cyclists killed I would be hunting this S.O.B. down. F him.

http://www.facebook.com/ReconFoundationTeam
http://www.facebook.com/MarineReconFoundation
http://www.reconfoundation.org
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was clipped by a cop car's side mirror last year. He didn't stop.
Happened to me when I was 16
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [TheRock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Police are the second worst driver in cars. Their children are worse because they were taught by them.

My father is a driving instructor and he has had to retain police children for about double the hours a normal child takes to learn to drive a car. Police are taught to drive fast and corner and crash not to drive like real people. When they teach their children to drive they usually crash and break most laws.
this couldn't be further from the truth.........police are trained to be far better drivers than anyone on the road, and they teach their children to do the same, because they see deadly accidents every day and know what can happen (first hand knowledge here). unfortunately it's just as easy for them or an EMT or firefighter etc to fall asleep etc as anyone else. very sad regardless of reason, but one of those very unfortunate things
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [TriMarine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if someone "dozed off" and killed the cop, there would be a capital murder trail for the cop killer.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [TriMarine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the reports I've read the officer was very distraught over what happened. We've all had bad experiences with drivers, but that doesn't make every driver our enemy, and certainly not every cop. I've known more than a few who have helped out stranded cyclists.

Let's direct our thoughts and prayers to everyone involved, and stop the mob mentality.

In Reply To:
I can not agree more, "I must have dozed off" WTF?!?! If I was a family member of one of the cyclists killed I would be hunting this S.O.B. down. F him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is just plain awful. Condolence to those of you connected with this group.

I agree with Raul!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have said, this is truly tragic, prayers go out to the family and freinds.

I hate to agree with police bashing but on my ride today the two cars that came the closest to me were both police officers. I am not sure if its the amount of time the spend behind the wheel or something else, but they get way too close comfort.

It will not bring the riders back, but I hope the driver that killed the innocent people does not receive any preferential treatment because they are cops. Time will tell.

Peace,
RF
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My condolences to Katy and other friends and family.

I find it interesting that some of the immediate reactions are "Hunt him down", "F him", "Capital murder".

It was an accident. Yes, it was possibly avoidable, and I'm sure the families have recourse in the civil courts if they wish to pursue it. But it was an ACCIDENT, as in he didn't do it on purpose.

I imagine he feels horrible, killing two and injuring a third. He has to live with the fact that a moment of carelessness ruined several lives.

Hunting him down, or even suggesting it is just juvenile.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My heart goes out to you and all those affected by this.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This cop made a mistake, maybe even a terrible error in judgement being behind the wheel in the first place, but cops basically put their lives on the line every single day on the job. Try walking up to the window of a speeding car you just pulled over never knowing if this will be the: dope dealer; escaped felon, cracked out druggie who will point a sawed off out the window and blow you away. And let's not even talk about the domestic situations they deal with each day....

I have never had a police car come to close or harass me in any way while I was riding nor do I know anyone who has experienced that. I'm sure that many of the incidents are unintentional and those that are not are few and far between.

That said, this is a tragic event and my heart goes out to those friends and families of these cyclists. You are in my prayers...

Nor do I use punctuation in the way a child sprinkles glitter over a ribbon of glue on construction paper - Trash Talk
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [sib1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While this is HORRIBLE and just a tragic ACCIDENT. People need to really get off of the "cop" aspect. A driver fell asleap at the wheel, for that he will have remorse for the rest of his life. We cant bring our friends back from situations like this as much as we would like. This cop fell asleap or was tired. Does that give him a pass? No. Would it change peoples viewpoints if this cop was on his way home from a 20 hour shift saving peoples lives? Would you see it diffrent if the cop had fallen asleap and hit a few pedestrians or homeless people? The "I would get him" aspect of some of these posts is really too far over the top.

I hope the best for the families of the cyclist as well as that of the Police Officer involved.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [TheRock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Police are taught to drive fast and corner and crash".

As a cyclist and an officer, I can say that you are incorrect. This is a horrible accident that will change the lives of all parties involved, their friends, families and coworkers for the worse. I have driven a police car while fatigued and have almost been hit by a car while cycling.

I am fortunate that neither have happen to me, from a police stand point, that has to be the worst feeling in the world. And I can't even fathom what the victims families must be going through.

A horrible incident all around.

fka: bassman

After the swim, I'm a fish outta water.
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [BassAttack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No no...dont cops just speed everywhere and do the PIT manuver all day?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Katy
Sorry about your friend....Tragic for all involved.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. I'm so sorry for you and your teammates and everyone who knew and loved these people; you all have my deepest sympathy.

I started reading the story without expecting it to have hit so close to the people here, but then I saw the words "triathlete" and "Clas" and I felt my stomach turn.

Quote | Reply
An officer was murdered in one bay area town and was not tried for a capital murder. Life in prison is all he got.

fka: bassman

After the swim, I'm a fish outta water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kristy with Clas:

Condolences to all the families and friends on this terrible tragedy.
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [glitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt was teasing me just yesterday about my "silly triathlete shoes" with the elastic laces, but the fact is, Matt was an Ironman finisher himself. Those silly shoes of mine are filled with sand right now from the beach where our team gathered to tell Matt stories, laugh and cry. Our team is going to join Kristy's team for a memorial ride soon.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Last edited by: Katy: Mar 9, 08 23:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:-) I wish you the best, so so sorry for your loss (-:

Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [lesson989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not saying we need to treat him any different than anyone else because he's a cop. Hell, I love cops, except that one in college that time with the keg, but that's a different story altogether.

My point is, i am SICK of hearing about cyclists and runners behind killed by motorists, and everyone talking this crap about the remorse the driver has to live with being their punishment. I don't care who is behind the wheel, a cop, a high school kid, or my freaking grandma, they need to pay. A live is lost, and being sorry and remorseful just doesn't cut it in my book, no matter who you are.

That said, while cops are mostly the "valiant do no harm" types, they are also human. And in my former life as a Phish tour kid, I ran into more bad ones than good. Not saying that this guy was a bad cop, just that people are human, and act different ways in different situations, no matter what they wear to work.

Rest in peace to those who lost their lives, and may their families find some peace as well. As for the driver...

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think that the "cops are good drivers" v. "cops are bad drivers" is really at issue here.
"cops" didn't kill the 2 cylists (thread title notwithstanding). One person did. Yes, that person was a cop (although I get the different CA titles confused, cop v. CHP v. sheriff's deputy, the last being what this guy was).

It sounds a lot like he *chose* to drive when he shouldn't have, if he did in fact "doze off." That's negligence, not an 'accident.'
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is someone being negligent and falling asleep. That is bad. It is no different than if a teenager or a mom or a dad or a judge did it.

People largely do not pay a steep price for killing people in an accident. yes, we all get riled up when the victim is a cyclist, but every day people are killed when a driver does not pay attention. Unless they are drunk, they usually do not pay a steep price (and that was not always the case). The reason for this is human nature. A judge or a jury can put themselves in that situation very easy in their imagination, so they do not punish much. Most people can relate to taking their eyes of the wheel for a bit, going through a yellow then red light, and even starting to nod off. Most people do not do these often, but they have all probably done it. As such, they are not going to toss the book at the person.

I wish this were not the case and I am not supporting it. Just explaining it IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And if someone "dozed off" and killed the cop, there would be a capital murder trail for the cop killer.

I doubt that.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply

Prev Next