Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: hoka-hamstring pulls [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being from a running background my hips are way to tight to do it on the floor initially ... although getting better at it now and can almost manage as good a stretch on the floor! I actually find using my bed, which is a lower than the table and more comfortable, the best option for me at the mo! Just got to make sure you keep your hips/pelvis in correct position!
Quote Reply
Re: hoka-hamstring pulls [jhart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Myself and a friend of mine (both ex-college runners) started running in Hokas last fall when we were training for a marathon. Made the switch because of a history of injury. Also both made the switch from 4mm drop shoes (Brooks pure cadence). Coincidentally, we both ended up with hamstring issues. I stopped running in mine before he did and he is still paying the price.

Personally, I have always been a forefoot striker. Our theory is that posterior chain injuries (calf/hamstring) issues in people wearing Hoka's might possibly be related to the maximal cushioning. I wouldn't be surprised if the body senses this cushioning through the foot and consequently increases eccentric loading during the landing phase of the stride. As a result there is greater loading of the calf/hamstring compared to a normally cushioned shoe.

I have since gone back to the Brooks Pure Cadence and about 2 weeks after I did everything resolved itself. Best of luck to you.
Quote Reply
Re: hoka-hamstring pulls [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
"...I intend to have my hokas in the rotation..."

This is the solution to the whole problem. Maybe it's just something you figure out or fall into after 25-30 years of running, but I have come to the conclusion that rotating shoes is extremely beneficial. Different workouts warrant different shoes, different running surfaces warrant different shoes, and regularly rotating shoes is really effective in determining whether/when to replace a pair of shoes and whether a particular pair of shoes might be causing you issues. Even if you feel you can only run in a single brand/model of shoe, getting multiple pairs a couple months apart gives some variation.

There's a physiological transition timeframe when switching whole hog from working out entirely in one pair/style of shoes to a completely different pair/style of shoes, since you will inevitably use different muscles in slightly different ways, usually accompanied by some new soreness and often enough leading to some weird nagging "injuries."

...oh, and rotating makes your shoes last longer...at least with respect to time, if not mileage...
Quote Reply
Re: hoka-hamstring pulls [PGC1A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to commend Hoka's marketing; they have convinced everyone that their shoe is injury proof or somehow therapeutic. They may be both of those things but I have a certain level of doubt. I asked a fitter at Boulder Running company (just bought a pair of Brooks PureFlow to replace my Kinvaras) what their take on the Hokas were. He said they were extremely popular, but when they do gait analysis they rarely end up recommending them. In other words people come in already convinced of the Hoka magic. I suspect people are dealing with injuries with Hokas who are being quiet about them because they are still essentially under the Hoka marketing spell. It is the same thing with Newtons, a knew/know a bunch of people who switched to Newtons who then developed Achilles issues and stress fractures, but they couldn't possibly attribute them to the Newtons...
Quote Reply
Re: hoka-hamstring pulls [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoka markets? Outside of ST I've never seen an ad. Sales data is hard to come by (ok, I spent 10 minutes Googling it) so it's hard to confirm if they are actually "extremely popular". I always thought they were more popular with the tri crowd. No runners I know, or see, wear them.

In any event, it appears to work both ways; too much credit and too much blame. The OP even came around and said his hamstring issue was likely the result of a multitude of issues and not just the Hokas.

For the record, I'm a fan. After years of chronic lower legs issues, I've had almost three years of injury free running. First the Bondi and now the Clifton. I suspect it has as much, or more, to do with the fact that I run more frequently at lower intensity than with the Hokas. But, I've had success and it has nothing to do with a "marketing spell" or "Hoka magic" .
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jan 26, 16 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: hoka-hamstring pulls [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, few people outside of technical or triathlon running have any idea what a "Hoka" is; I am sure they think it is a cannabis inhalation system. Keep in mind I live in Denver, big box retailers sell Hokas, Altras, and Newtons so when I say "extremely popular" my sample is admittedly pretty low. When I say "extremely popular" I am saying popular among people who frequent specialty running shops like Endurance House or Boulder Running Company. I am also saying that out of my triathlon group more than half either currently run in Hokas or they tried them. When I say 'marketing', I mean that Hoka sets up events at places like Lifetime, E-House, etc to push their product. I think I have seen one TV commercial for them and it was on LTF's internal network where they advertise all sorts of stuff. Compared to Nike or Adidas Hoka barely registers as a marketer; however they do engage in a fair amount of direct marketing.

In substance, we are saying the same thing; we may be attributing to much to the shoe, whether it is a Hoka or a Newton.
Quote Reply
Re: hoka-hamstring pulls [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A ha! makes more sense then.

I'm not even sure people here (NY/NJ) inside technical running know from Hoka. The local Road Runner store employee looked at me funny when I asked for them. Perhaps he too was thinking Hooka - thanks for the laugh.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just stumbled upon this thread. I've noticed something similar over the course of two different pairs of Hokas - once last fall, over the course of about a month and 100 miles and then again this spring with similar mileage. Both times I was doing all of my running exclusively in the Hokas. After the month, both resulted in incredibly tight hamstrings. This last time with a bit of a strain. In both occasions, I switched to a much more minimal shoe and the symptoms went away. What really made me question the shoes was when I put them one for the first time since, simply to take the dog for a walk - almost like magic, my hamstrings felt noticeably tighter and all I was doing was walking. Needless to say, I haven't put them back on.
Quote Reply
Re: hoka-hamstring pulls [triathmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started running in Hoka's and a short time after I started having issues with my calf. I figured it was just another one of the many injuries that I would have to deal with.

I decided to go back to a traditional shoe (no Hoka, no Newton, etc.). Within a few runs the injury was gone.

I have talked to a lot of people, hard core runners, triathletes, etc. and I am shocked at the number of stories of injuries that have occurred while wearing Hoka's that magically clear up once people stop wearing them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also am an experienced runner that has been struggling with hamstring strains when introducing speed work. I have not been able to race much in the last 5 years due to this and also calf strains. I get the calf from increasing volume too much and hamstring from speed work. I went away from hoka and back to asics for two years now. But alas I am still having the strains in asics, so in my case i am not blaming the shoe, just old age, I am 45, but I don't get away with any training mistakes now like I used to. I am trying some weight training this year but suspect I may be better with yoga to stretch more. I think 25 years on working a desk job is catching up with me, but always good to know how others have been able to combat this. But to your original question, I am no expert in shoes but know most people switch to hoka because of injury, if injuries persist it is probably not the shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: hoka-hamstring pulls [PGC1A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PGC1A wrote:
Myself and a friend of mine (both ex-college runners) started running in Hokas last fall when we were training for a marathon. Made the switch because of a history of injury. Also both made the switch from 4mm drop shoes (Brooks pure cadence). Coincidentally, we both ended up with hamstring issues. I stopped running in mine before he did and he is still paying the price.

Personally, I have always been a forefoot striker. Our theory is that posterior chain injuries (calf/hamstring) issues in people wearing Hoka's might possibly be related to the maximal cushioning. I wouldn't be surprised if the body senses this cushioning through the foot and consequently increases eccentric loading during the landing phase of the stride. As a result there is greater loading of the calf/hamstring compared to a normally cushioned shoe.

I have since gone back to the Brooks Pure Cadence and about 2 weeks after I did everything resolved itself. Best of luck to you.

Wow, this thread is really interesting. Your comments above seem to make sense to me. I'm a forefoot runner, with all that's good and bad about that "style." I've been running more of my Hokas in my rotation and while my feet feel a bit happier, I too have noticed my calfs and hamstrings seem to be a bit tighter+sore, I chalked it up to an increase in track work, but maybe the "cush" factor has drawbacks I hadn't factored in...

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: hoka-hamstring pulls [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I developed massive piriformis issues when I was running 70+ miles a week in Hoka Cliftons. It took a while for me to figure out that it was related to the shoes. I stopped using them, and the issue went away. Never had it before, haven't had it since.
Quote Reply
Re: hoka-hamstring pulls [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very intresting thread. My left hammy issues cropped up after a torn soleus on the right side, but went to the HOKA to keep from getting beat up from concrete during an Ironman race and give more cushion to that calf injury (related to a racing accident not shoes). HOKA purchase/hammy issues were coincidentally around the same time. Not sure if it had anything to do with the shoes, but my feet sure loved the HOKA! That said, any cushioning less just seemed to beat me up too much. I am unable to point to any one thing the root cause for the issue--as my clinician couldn't either. I will experiment with some other footware to see how that works. There is certainly the timing of all this, which lends validity as a theory to explore further when I can run again.
Quote Reply
Re: hoka-hamstring pulls [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run in shoes like pureflow, brooks launch, mizuno syonara to saucony type a6 in races etc. neutral shoes. Tried the Bondi 5, jeepers, running on stilts and couldn't turn a corner to save my life. Also oddly firm. Tried cliftons 3 and softer than the Bondi but your feet just disappear into them and sap your energy.
Interesting thread I couldn't do the hoka thing as a mid/forfoot runner, i can see how they cause injuries or even perhaps weaken your running Infrustructure? Swapped those shoes out for pure cadence 6, and I'm a happy camper for easy runs again
Quote Reply
Re: hoka-hamstring pulls [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried the Pure Cadence & really liked the shoe. It was just a bit heavy for what I was looking for in a racer. It would be a good training shoe though I think. Not sure there are any factual studies that HOKA is the issue with the people on this thread, just their observation. My observation is that while I really like the shoes, all of the ones I've had (Clifton 2, Bondi 5, Clayton 2), there is an *odd* similarity in timing with my current injuries. I thought they would help me recover and keep me from injury. If it actually turned out to be opposite, I guess I'd bail on the purchase of future shoes. I cannot verify that at this moment as I'm just in a walking mode (no running for a few more weeks). I will start using my Air Pegasus to run in when I come back. They sure seem like the feet enjoy running in those. Although, I can't see my next Ironman race as in anything but a HOKA at this point, the miles just seem to not make much of a dent on the bottoms of my feet with those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a PT but after analyzing my running shows recently after a calf strain .... check the drop on the Hokas and on your older shoes. A lower drop shoe (8mm and less) will put more strain on your calves and hamstring as it will move the strike area forward (mid to forefoot). What I call a "classic" shoe i.e. with 10mm or more drop will move the strike area further back (mid to heel strike).
A lot more shoes now are zero drop (barefoot and minimalistic) or low drop and they're not necessarily the shoe for everyone and need a period of adaptation.
I'm back in 10mm drop and my calves (and a high hamstring issue) feel a lot less stressed.

A good podcast to listen to is Science of Ultra ep 40 or 41 I can;t remember which but they address shoe drop and calf/hamstring strain in shoe design.
Quote Reply

Prev Next