Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hip bursitis
Quote | Reply
Hello Everyone and Happy New Year,

Last week I began to feel pain in my hips during and after my workouts (weight training and riding the bike at the gym), I did some research on the Internet and found out I might be suffering from trochanteric hip bursitis pain. I have taken a few days off from training, and have been icing the affected areas, as well as doing some stretches/strength exercises (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPDZb5YPn4U). I would like to know if anyone else who has ever had this problem and resorted to cortisone shots.

Bernie
Quote Reply
Re: hip bursitis [Bernie Kealey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally cortisone isn't going to help heal bursitis. It takes some rest, and when you resume activities you need to find exercises that are not weight bearing and repetitive. Cycling itself is not stressful enough to inflame the bursa sacs, but certainly weightlifting is. Find something else to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep. had it twice. cortisone shot twice. worked both times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are you?

Do not mess around with this, and stay away from "fixing" it with cortisone.
You'll speed up degeneration and accelerate your road to hip replacement.
Treat conservatively and get an Ortho to look at your hips (= a real diagnosis).
You'll thank me in 10-20 years.

Bernie Kealey wrote:
Hello Everyone and Happy New Year,

Last week I began to feel pain in my hips during and after my workouts (weight training and riding the bike at the gym), I did some research on the Internet and found out I might be suffering from trochanteric hip bursitis pain. I have taken a few days off from training, and have been icing the affected areas, as well as doing some stretches/strength exercises (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPDZb5YPn4U). I would like to know if anyone else who has ever had this problem and resorted to cortisone shots.

Bernie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone,

I am 56 years old. From what I read on the Internet, cycling or running can cause hip bursitis. The weight training I do is not super heavy. Machines (leg extensions, leg press) and dumbbell squats with nothing more than 20 kg dumbbells. I used to do a lot of running but stopped 30 years ago. Is it really not advisable for someone my age to try the cortisone shots?

Bernie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Again,

One more question. Can light cycling, long rides on an outdoor or indoor bike lead to hip bursitis? The reason I ask is for the past few years cycling I never had a problem, but in the past 3-4 months have been doing heavy interval training on the indoor bike at the gym. Also, regarding my previous thread about over training, some people who replied advised that I should add some treadmill walking to the weekly workouts instead of cycling 6 days a week. Would brisk walking on the treadmill make my condition worse?

Bernie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before you head down the injection route I would get a more accurate diagnosis. You might be experiencing gluteal tendinopathy.
Its a common mis-diagnosis that I see it a lot in my work (as a Physiotherapist).
Strengthening is generally the best solution if it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More commonly this is referred pain from the lower back. Cortisone is rarely a fix when the underlying mechanical problem needs addressing. Find a PT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have much to add other than I agree that cortisone shots should be an absolute last resort. Always go the PT route first. It may take time, but is usually going to be better for you in the long run.
Quote Reply
Re: hip bursitis [ssh140p6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Again,

Could I have developed this ailment by my bike seat being set too high or low?

Bernie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Everyone,

Again, thanks to everyone for the feedback. I met a local doctor here yesterday who took some X-Rays of my hips and told me I do not have hip bursitis but arthritis in the hips, though not too serious. I was surprised since I have not done any running on asphalt for 25+ years. He said it is just age (I am 56), but that I can continue to cycle, but to avoid heavy weight lifting exercises, and lose some weight. I would like to know if anyone else has mild arthritis in the hip areas, and does this affect your cycling. From what I have read on the Internet, yoga, stretching, weight bearing exercises, and acupuncture all are helpful.

Bernie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few things...
Depending on the area of your pain, it is unlikely that that MILD arthritis is your cause. First of all an xray can only pick up bone - not muscle, tendon, ligaments, bursa etc.
Just because it comes up with something on the xray doesnt mean that it is the cause of your pain.
I would say that MILD arthritis is relatively common in your age group. If you took an xray of 10 people your age i'd say 6 of them would have mild arthritis and most of them wouldnt have pain.
I see it all the time...people ie doctors who treat the scan and not the patient. Did the doctor do a physical examination of your hip?

Most people who have pain from arthritis get pain in the front of their hip (near the groin). Is that where you get pain?
Pain at the back of the hip (posterior) is usually from either their lumbar spine or gluteal muscles.
Pain on the side of your hip (lateral) is usually from gluteal muscles, ITB and/or bursa problems.
Very rarely is lateral hip pain from arthritis....unless you had severe OA (arthritis) on the xray.

In saying all this it is very hard to give individual medical advice over a forum.

Is your pain on the side of your hip?
If you are sore to touch just below (about 1/2 an inch) your greater trochanter (bony point on the side of your hip), and it is sore to lie on it at night -> likely hip bursitis.
Otherwise if sore to touch just behind greater trochanter -> gluteal tendinopathy.
Im not aware of your situation with access to a physio/physical therapist, but i would advise to get it looked at properly, it will save you a lot of time (and pain) in the long run.

With cycling if your knee on that side is moving towards to top tube that can pull on your ITB which then irritates your hip bursa.

And finally the advice to lose weight is a bit of cop-out. If it is a muscle problem you need to do strengthening, especially if it is a tendon problem then you need heavy strengthening (with isometrics).

Hope that helps.
Last edited by: MKen: Jan 7, 17 17:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend aggressively rolling the soft tissue around the hip and including the ITB and lateral quads. If the mild arthritis isn't the sole factor with your pain the soft tissue needs to be addressed. Use a lacrosse ball, practice baseball (soft covered baseball) or small size Orb ball to roll the lateral hip muscles around to the front of the ilium and the attachment of the TFL muscle. You might be surprised at how quickly you get relief by doing this. ** But, Do Not roll over the bursa at the greater trochanter, the bony prominence at the side of the hip. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: hip bursitis [Johnny21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear MKen and Johnny21,

Thank you both for the replies. In the examination with the doctor, he had me lie down on the examination table on my back with my knees up and pushed down my knee to the table too see if I experienced any pain. I did, but nothing too great. This area has always been tight for me since for years I have never been able to achieve the flexibility to do the Yoga Pose called the Pigeon. The best approximation I can provide of where the pain is would be right on the bone, not an inch towards the buttocks or an inch towards the front hip are. I have just watched a YouTube video of using a tennis ball to relax the effected areas, tried it, and it did bring some relief.

Bernie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I battle with this issue too. I found that I was not drink enough water an compounding the issue by not warming up enough before I took off on the run or bike. I've seen a significant difference since I made this change. Double the water intake and see what happens.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: hip bursitis [ballsop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
22 days ago I had a killer workout. (10 miles in 1:05 with a mile at 5:17, a 5k @ 17:40 and a 10k @ 37:30 in the mix)

The next day felt great. The next day felt slight ache in legs that would be expected a couple days after hard run. A week later having hard time kicking achy-ness. But chalked it up to bad weather, lots of rain, working on feet every day. Managed 37 miles.

Another week later narrowed pain down to left hip pain and took 5 days off then capped week with easy 3 miler then easy 5 miler.

5 days ago feeling better did another 10 miler in 1:15 with a 3 mile push at 18 min. Day off hip still felt off. Couple more rest days (pissing rain anyway)

Today went out for easy 5 miler (putting me at 20 miles on the week) and hip hurt right from the get go. Bugged me through mile 3 eased off a bit and then bugged me all the way home.

Now Im getting worried and did some internet research. I think it is Iliopsoas Bursitis. I fit all the systems to a T. Sounds sketchy if ignored.

Sitting here with ice for first time. Should've done that 2 weeks ago. I feel better at least knowing what Im up against.

Problem is I'm going to HI in 2 days and was planning on crushing some miles in the heat for a month.

And the other problem is that I am dumb and generally try to power through over use injuries until they go away. The good news is my knees don't hurt at all anymore.!

Am I hosed? I guess I could focus on swimming. Or maybe just surf, what a novel idea! Don't want to dash my marathon dreams with short term stupidity.
Quote Reply