Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

help with Polar IR interface for USB port
Quote | Reply
My computer says it can't find the driver for this new hardware (the interface). I have installed version 3.03.011 of the Polar Precision Software. The "downloads/support" tab for this product (the 610i) doesn't appear to be working on www.polarusa.com. Any recommendations for a hapless non-techie?
Quote Reply
Re: help with Polar IR interface for USB port [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got the 510 and I am using the sonic interface deal sound noisy method. I am testing it as I write this.

Try to email polar they are pretty quick at getting back to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had some trouble with the Polar software as well, and in my experience the program is a little bit buggy. I had been using the serial version of Polar's IR port on my older PC, but I recently bought a laptop with a USB port and no serial port. To remedy this, I ended up purchasing a serial to USB adapter (~$45 USD) instead of the USB version of Polar's IR port and I was able to make the system work that way. I've never tried the USB version of Polar's interface.

That said, I do seem to recall seeing some kind of a USB driver on my Polar CD-ROM, but I'm not at home right now and can't easiliy verify this. If there is such a driver, it probably doesn't get installed when you install the application, and you'll probably have to install it separately. You might want to give that a try?
Quote Reply
Re: help with Polar IR interface for USB port [Dominic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounded soooo promising...but, I actually brought all the crap to work with me today, including the CD-ROM, and I can't find a driver on it. Of course, that could just be further evidence of my haplessness...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may not apply, but on my (XP) system, everything was working fine when I had the IR interface plugged into a USB 1.1 port. However, when I later tried moving it to a port on a USB 2.0 card that I bought, it thought that the IR system was new hardware, tried to install the driver for it, got very confused, and froze the install process (repeatedly). When I eventually moved it back to the USB 1.1 port, everything was fine.

Hope this helps.

--Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The www.polar.fi website also has a download page, and there's the latest version of the SW there (v4.0.something)

http://support.polar.fi/PKBSupport.nsf/ALLDOCS/42256C2B001E0F6A42256B27003FEA5F?OpenDocument

I think it said something about one of the fixes being the USB driver.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay I have the "REAL" answer. My system did the same thing. You need more than just the download off of the polar website you also need a USB removal program. Dont ask me why I just know it works. I called polar and after talking to 3 different techs multiple times I finally found one that did not have his head up his ass. So he e-mailed me this driver/usb removal thing that worked. You have to follow the instructions on the website, and then run this program. The only problem I have with it now is every time I restart my computer I have to unplug and then plug back in my Polar IR into the USB port. If you email me I will email you the little USB removal program. It is really small and loads quick.

Greg
Quote Reply
Re: help with Polar IR interface for USB port [oeight44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the help guys.

FWIW, I finally got it going, thanks to the Computer-Chick at the office who I lured into my office late afternoon with the promise of a new e-toy to play with: plug in the adaptor to the USB connector. Then click Start:my computer:control panel:add hardware:select find new hardware:then when it couldn't find the driver, select browse, and go look in C:program files\polar\precision software\usb. Then select the appropriate operating system.

I know, I know, that's totally intuitive, and I should have been able to figure it out based upon the user manual instructions accompanying the interface to "install the software, hook up the interface and download the data". [ok that's paraphrased, but it's pretty damn close].

Who writes these manuals? Orang??
Quote Reply