Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

help calculating gordo's seat tube angle
Quote | Reply
Gordo rides a Trek TTT bike - large with a seat tube angle of 73.7 (per Trek's website). He rides with the seat about 2cm forward of neutral and he says the tip of his saddle is in front of his BB. I assume its not too far in front....I don't know the type of saddle. I also don't know how tall he is - ? maybe 5'11?

We don't have any exact numbers but we should be able to estimate his angle fairly closely if we assume its an average saddle, the tip is just above the BB, and we know his height. Should be easy for the mathematically inclined who know how long the average saddle is and how long his BB to seat measurement roughly is given his height.

Just curious - thought it would be interesting to see what angle he rides given how well he runs off the bike....

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: help calculating gordo's seat tube angle [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the graph in slowman's bike fit pages. It shows the corresponding angle depending on saddle infront/behind the bb.
Quote Reply
Re: help calculating gordo's seat tube angle [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he uses a Selle itaila saddle, which are typically 275mm long. If his saddle is right over the BB and assuming he rides near the center of the saddle or approx. 14 cm back, he is probably riding at 78 to 81 degrees depending on saddle height, the higher the saddle and/or the more forward the tip of the saddle the steeper he rides. (It really depends on where he sits upon the saddle, tip, center, or back)

Mathmatical formula:

14/78(approx. Saddle height)=.179

.179 inverse cos=79.6*
Quote Reply
Re: help calculating gordo's seat tube angle [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Luntzy -- and I noticed the same thing about Gordo's comment. While he might consider his position "traditional roadie" (his own words), he's obviously as far forward as anyone his size (over 6'). I probably have about the same inseam as Gordo. My bike is set up at 78 degrees to the saddle "sweet spot" (I measured it) and the tip of my saddle is 1.5 cm behind the bb. He's got to be at least 80 degrees.

Not that it matters -- he can obviously ride any way he wants. He ran 2:49 off the bike, and who's to argue with that! But, it's not a "traditional roadie" position, that's for sure. I'm thinking maybe he was talking about his road bike when he made that comment, since he says he rides the road bike 90%+ of the time in training.
Quote Reply
Re: help calculating gordo's seat tube angle [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"he's obviously as far forward as anyone his size (over 6')."

i rode with gordo from auburn to the swim start of the world's toughest half earlier this year. but i can't remember what it was he was riding.

i'm 6'2" and my saddle nose is about 1.5 cm in front of the bb. i believe i'm 2" or so taller than gordo, so i'd guess he and i have fairly similar seat set-ups (i might be a tad steeper). i reckon mine at about 81 degrees.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: help calculating gordo's seat tube angle [cmetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't find the graph you mention, do you have a link to it?
Quote Reply
Re: help calculating gordo's seat tube angle [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can't find the graph you mention, do you have a link to it?
nor me.....this'll bring the message back to the top as well....someone will get bored and point it out for us ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: help calculating gordo's seat tube angle [Lance Armpong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll find it in this article: http://www.cervelo.com/qa/fit-article1.html

-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: help calculating gordo's seat tube angle [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanx :-D
Quote Reply
Re: help calculating gordo's seat tube angle [Lance Armpong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's on this site any more, but Gerard posted it on the Cervelo site here:

http://www.cervelo.com/qa/fit-article1.html
Quote Reply