Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

helmet rule
Quote | Reply
did it change this year? no more getting rid of the helmet for altitude finishes?
Quote Reply
Re: helmet rule [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sure did, I don't remember where I read it, but beginning this year helmets are required from start until finish.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Axel Merckx and Van Summeren weredq'd from Paris-Nice for not wearing one during a mt top finish. Apparently, they didn't know either. :-)

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: helmet rule [JoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next they will require knee and elbow pads.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: helmet rule [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and why shouldn't they? we have to wear helmets the entire length of our tris. helmets these days are so light you barely notice them anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: helmet rule [empty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope...I never wear my helmet in the water and on the run. if you've done that...stop! you look ridiculous! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it has as much to do with weight than with heat and comfort. If you're climbing Alpe d'Huez and its 90 degrees you'd probably want that 5mph breeze in your hair.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: helmet rule [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
except that half the pro riders still wear hats when they go helmetless

Quote | Reply
I coulda sworm I read that the riders were still allowed to lose their helmets for a mtn top finish. Wish I could remember where... I *do* know they are mandatory at all other times.

Perhaps with how the race played out today, they just weren't able to? Or didn't want to be bothered?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
merci francois,

i wondered why my swims were always so slow...

on the other hand. the helmet has been useful on the run, when i head-butt the people in front of me.
Quote Reply
Re: helmet rule [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Carmicheal said it is actually cooler to wear a helmet than go without. They block the direct sun. I guess they did some tests with thermometers taped to riders' heads. The same reason people running those ultra marathons through the desert wear long hats and long sleeves. Lance said he rode w/o one on the final climbs because he was used to it and felt more comfortable that way.
Quote Reply