Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hed bars at the tour
Quote | Reply
How many did you see? I saw alot of them on different teams--wow
Quote Reply
Re: hed bars at the tour [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing I noticed was all the guys using straight areo bars (Jan Ullich was one). Just straight out from under the base bar. looked very uncomfortable having your wrists twisted down so far.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: hed bars at the tour [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They also could be using MDT's custom carbon aerobars, as well. I would almost bet that David Millar uses them rather than the Oval/Hed ones.
Quote Reply
Re: hed bars at the tour [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing I noticed was the number of guys using time trial bars set up with Ergo/STI levers. As I recall totally against the consensus of opinion that was voiced on this very forum. Do they not read this ?!!!

Julian in England.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: hed bars at the tour [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On short courses/technical courses like that, one ends up doing all shifting while breaking into the corners, sprinting out of them, and when climbing.
Quote Reply
Re: hed bars at the tour [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope, its a HED, note the stem faceplate crossbar:

Quote Reply
Are you sure? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't tell from this angle about the faceplate, but I thought the HED's had straight brake levers. Those brakes seem a little long and they bend at the end. Just an observation.
Quote Reply
Re: hed bars at the tour [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at that picture and others on www.cyclingnews.com it doesn't look like a HED, for one the cross-section is too thin. I did notice, however, how many more teams are using a HED 3 front this year than in years past.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: hed bars at the tour [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
millar used a hed bar. and a hed3 front wheel. look closely at the photos, however, the sponsors are ITM and campy respectively. we have a story about this that will go up on slowtwitch sunday night or monday morning.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Are you sure? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, the new HED (bar 2nd edition) has a few different features than the original released model from last april:

levers have a bend

front brake cable guide welded on

carbon cups vs aluminum
Quote Reply
Oops... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, my bad.
Quote Reply
That's them alright... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Logos changed, but definitely a match to the set on my bike.

Risers under the armpads are added, but everything else is box stock.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got me there, Gary. I need to get my cataracts looked over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he cant really blame his mechanic for his chain falling off, he was riding only 1 ring on his bike wihout a front derailleur over cobblestones - he took the risk and should have known that there was nothing to keep his chain on his ring should it hop off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how comfie are these bars?
looking at the pix, it seems he is holding them just at the tip, not a lot of grasp...
are they as short as the oval for ex?

strange choice the 1 CR thing...specially on a flat stuff where weight does not matter whatsoever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A simple piece of aluminium on the bottom bracket could have kept his chain on (or got it back on quickly) at a minimum weight penalty. That's the part to blame his mechanic on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm not mistaken I think I heard that Cofidis had the bike rigged without a front Derraillure, know ing that a front der shift would not be needed , maybe to save a bit of weight. By why wouldnt they use it simply as a chain guide, knowing they have to fly over cobbled roads at mach speed. MIllar wasn;t the only one on Cofdis to lose a chain I heard.

From the pic of MIllar above, the front der. braze on looks empty to me.
Quote Reply
Re: hed bars at the tour [schumacher 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The piece I speak of is a 100mm long, 15 gram piece of aluminium mounted onto the bottom bracket. I have one on my Samantha (Corima Fox) for use on my Bartol system, and it is magic.

It is silly to not run something, even if it is a 75 or so gram front mech as a chain guide for a single chainring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Se cyclingnews.com for article on Millar lashing out at Cofidis mangagement again..something about not being able to procur enough Campy TT chainrings..and having to use something aftermarket??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>he cant really blame his mechanic for his chain falling off, he was >riding only 1 ring on his bike wihout a front derailleur over >cobblestones - he took the risk and should have known that there >was nothing to keep his chain on his ring should it hop off.

Well, I certainly think the team management and mechs can be blamed when 5 riders all experience the same issue. Remember, not all riders have the freedom to dictate equipment choices like LA. Cofidis is a French team. You ride what they give you without much argument. I say, once again Cofidis is left with egg on its face.
Quote Reply
Re: hed bars at the tour [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobbles + no front derailleur = chain drop

duh
Quote Reply