Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify?
Quote | Reply
Today at Mission Bay Tri in SD, for the international race half the men in the 50 and under group cut the course leading to ridiculous swim times like 7 minutes for a 1km swim. With no officials around to see this, what would yo do? Ask DQ anyone with under 10 minute swim? what if the 10-12min swimmers were mediocre swimmers who also cut the course?
Quote Reply
Re: half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe they just had a good day? Did you ever think of that?
Quote Reply
Re: half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did they cut the buoys or run up the left side where the sand is until they were forced to swim? I wasn't there today, but that's a common strategy I've seen in the past, at least for the sprint distance.
Quote Reply
Re: half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify? [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattyboy wrote:
did they cut the buoys or run up the left side where the sand is until they were forced to swim? I wasn't there today, but that's a common strategy I've seen in the past, at least for the sprint distance.

international nearly hits other side of the bay where you cant run. they missed one buoy completely. the thing is also, this was multiple 5 year AG from 18-59, so maybe it would be fine if your entire AG did it.... but some ended up doing the full swim (getting stuck in a strong current in addition).

this is a USAT sanctioned race....
Quote Reply
Re: half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify? [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assume you meant to put that in pink as 7 mins for 1,000m (as OP stated) is cutting the course, not a good day.

Seems pretty clear cut with the little information posted by the OP (maybe there is more to this story that will come out). Unless the course was laid out in a manner that made navigation on the swim impossible and there was no information available for anyone to reasonably know what the course was then I would guess athletes are responsible for following the course or it's a DQ. Period. That's the binary view. Now if there's substantial gray area due to information, etc. then it could get interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify? [GrisGris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was not being serious. Agree they should all be dq unless somehow the error was on the race organizers in which case id say good luck with that.
Quote Reply
Re: half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify? [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
I was not being serious. Agree they should all be dq unless somehow the error was on the race organizers in which case id say good luck with that.

how would it be done? sounds like the only way to stop this would be for USAT marshalls to be in boats and chase the pack down and DQ them on spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily. They DQ people all the time with suspect fast splits after the race is over. For example, if someone did a 3 hr IM run, where the first 13.1 was done in 2 hr and the 2nd 13.1 was done in an hour. The T-3 girl from IMFL was dq after the fact when none of her 2nd loop splits registered.

synthetic wrote:
GoJohnnyGo wrote:

how would it be done? sounds like the only way to stop this would be for USAT marshalls to be in boats and chase the pack down and DQ them on spot.

Quote | Reply
I'd just make results for the whole wave "unofficial." Anyone who wants an official result has to submit a link to another race result that shows that their swim time is within their general ability. Garmin files (link to Strava) from the race should also count. We're looking at a 2:1 variance here, so it's not like people cut inside a buoy and save 25M.

To be fair this should apply to everyone. A 15min. 1K might be a good swimmer or a really poor one who cut 1/2 the course

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's about all i can think of too, proof of that swim capability. if it were the full wave, it could be treated as a separate race i suppose. either way, not fun for the organizers. good luck you guys.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is the standard scenario of voiding the result of the whole class since a major unfairness has happened.
Quote Reply
Re: half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify? [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
I think this is the standard scenario of voiding the result of the whole class since a major unfairness has happened.

No one mentioned it to RD or USAT. It's a day after.. who should be contacted? With out some evidence is a DQ possible? Hearsay usually not applicable
Quote Reply
Re: half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd just make results for the whole wave "unofficial." Anyone who wants an official result has to submit a link to another race result that shows that their swim time is within their general ability. Garmin files (link to Strava) from the race should also count. We're looking at a 2:1 variance here, so it's not like people cut inside a buoy and save 25M. //

THIS^^^^

Treat it as a separate race, and if it was everyone pretty much in a particular wave, that is where you focus. If there are outliers in other waves, then lump them in there too. If the fastest real swimmer did like 12/13 minutes, then anything around that and under go into the pile. IT is a lot of work, but it is the fairest thing to do, provided it was a race course error of some sort. Or they could just score it as a separate unofficial race and be done with it, but they should allow folks to provide concrete proof they swam the course, or can swim that fast. I would imagine anyone around the fastest swimmers time, will have some pool credentials in meets to back that up..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tricky part is if it's half a wave... I would mark them all as unofficial results, and list them separately, but exclude them from the official results. I had this happen this year in an elite race that I was officiating. The leader turned early, and the entire field followed him (swam 500m instead of 750m), in spite there being a swim familiarization the day before (there were earlier races using a shorter course, and buoys for that, but they knew their turnaround was the 3rd one... it was repeated to them before the start). Ultimately, because the whole field cut the course, we didn't DSQ anyone, just revised the distance on the result, and let the results stand, but if one person had swam the full course, we would have had to DSQ the rest of the field.

It's a tricky one for sure, and thankfully pretty rare.
Quote Reply
Re: half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed a 10min swim time for a Intl racer but looks like they've been fixed due to a timing issue not anyone cutting the course.
Quote Reply
Re: half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify? [D_a_v_e_p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed a 10min swim time for a Intl racer //

This is what the race needs to figure out before anything. Was their course accurate, was their wetsuits, and what is the first and best time they "know" was legit?? On an accurate 1k swim course, a great swimmer in a wetsuit can swim 10 minutes. Of course that swimmer would have an extensive swim background, and could prove this time. But they have to answer the other questions first, before diving into folks swimming backgrounds.
Quote Reply
Re: half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify? [D_a_v_e_p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D_a_v_e_p wrote:
I noticed a 10min swim time for a Intl racer but looks like they've been fixed due to a timing issue not anyone cutting the course.

Ok looks like things are fixed, but there were reports of course cutting . Yet times appear normal, I know some female D1 swimmers with 5 min slower than usual time as there was a bad current
Last edited by: synthetic: Sep 30, 19 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: half a wave drastically cuts swim course, how to rectify? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I noticed a 10min swim time for a Intl racer //

This is what the race needs to figure out before anything. Was their course accurate, was their wetsuits, and what is the first and best time they "know" was legit?? On an accurate 1k swim course, a great swimmer in a wetsuit can swim 10 minutes. Of course that swimmer would have an extensive swim background, and could prove this time. But they have to answer the other questions first, before diving into folks swimming backgrounds.

It was a timing company issue. Results were corrected later yesterday afternoon. That is all. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
miklcct wrote:

No one mentioned it to RD or USAT. It's a day after.. who should be contacted? With out some evidence is a DQ possible? Hearsay usually not applicable
The result would have already been final then.
Quote Reply