Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
goodbye vector 3
Quote | Reply
this is a public service announcement regarding my experiences with garmin and the vector 3 dual pedals.

purchased my original set (with the poorly designed battery holder / door) at launch. these units worked flawlessly until the batteries needed to be changed out. once that happened i was just like all the other vector 3 users; i had a set of $1000 paperweights.

garmin support was EXCELLENT to work with when i called with the complaint. they offered a new set of pedals with the new battery doors already installed and ready to go. i accepted.

the 2nd set of pedals worked flawlessly... until i had to change out the batteries. SAME EXACT ISSUES. these pedals skipped the power drop out issue and went right to sporadic connectivity issues and wouldn’t even be recognized by my phone app via bluetooth.

i called support again with the same complaints. i was immediate escalated to a manager who requested i try the same method that was used on the original set of pedals, cleaning contacts and put baby oil on the batteries.

i asked if this was a documented maintainence requirement for these pedals. he said they were and it was added to the latest rev of the user manual online.

i accepted to try the cleaning / lube method. it fixed the pedals for about an hour and right back to the connectivity issues.

i contacted the same supervisor (he was kind enough to give me his direct contact) and explained what i had done, that there were in fact no online manual that i could find that referenced the cleaning / maintenance method he said was documented, and i then stated i felt that these pedals suffered from a very poor and faulty design flaw that needed to be addressed and requested a full refund.

he agreed there was a design flaw and conceded on a full refund.

overall i feel that their support depart is excellent regarding dealing with this matter, at least from what i’ve seen. either that or i’ve been very lucky with whom i’ve talked to.

i just put in an order for myself and my wife a set of faveros. i’m looking forward to zero maintenance and pedals that just work.

if you’re looking at vector 3s i emplore you to steer clear. garmin seems to know there is an issue and seems like they want the consumer to just bandaid the issue versus actually fixing it.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on my second set ( I had the bad doors as well) ,, so far so good. On battery set #3 on the second pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ditched my Vectors the first go around. Got my new pedals with new battery doors and sold them. My experience with customer service was very poor. Was given incorrect information twice on direct questions, did two spring races without a power meter. Purchased Favero Assioma and have not looked back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on my second set of the V3's. The first was replaced under warranty pretty early on. This set I'm using now, has the new battery doors, and has been pretty bulletproof, even after a couple of battery swaps. I still put a couple dabs of mineral oil between the batteries. There is something on the Garmin site somewhere about doing that, but I can't remember where I saw it. I admit I was very frustrated at first with the pedals, but they have been pretty solid since about June. Now that I've said that, I bet they fail tomorrow. Oh well...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine went back after one week for a refund, straight out the box they had spikes and dropouts. Flawed design somewhere in the mix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a price of a set of PM pedals (or most spider PMs for that matter) you can buy two, almost three, Powertap G3 hubs.
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
For a price of a set of PM pedals (or most spider PMs for that matter) you can buy two, almost three, Powertap G3 hubs.

I would need to because I have that many rims or more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am very happy with my Vector3’s.

I had the problem with the original doors but customer service was awesome and replaced them. I did have one bad experience with customer service but my second go around was really good.

Have had to change the batteries a few times but all is good.
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will agree - I have two sets (one for me, the other the wife) and in the beginning it was a struggle but they both have the updated doors and hardware and I combined them with Garmin 520 Plus's and I have not been having issues. To add to that they are almost identical to my Wahoo in terms of power so that works out great.

I have replaced the batteries on both and I did not have any issues after that either - I am sorry to hear the OP is having such an issue and good for Garmin to standing behind the customer.

I hope mine stay working well now hahaha - plenty of trainer testing coming up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vector 3 has been a disaster for Garmin. I've had Vector 2's (with Shimano conversion) for a long time and they've been great . . . until last week. I took them off the bike and discovered that part of the plastic pod bracket has split on both pods. I contacted Garmin support ten days ago for a solution, but . . . . [crickets]. I don't have high expectations on service for a past-generation product, but some kind of response would be good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im on my 3rd set. Approaching 20,000 miles ridden. When they work they are flawless. Absolutely flawless. I had the battery door issues.

One thing most triathletes dont notice is the clearance. I have blown the battery doors off about 3 times now crit racing. The clearance is an issue and it sucks because even with the growing pains I feel they are a pretty great power meter. Just dont clip the pedal on the ground :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's how I blew the door off mine too. crit racing pedal strike. I have the new door on mine, but haven't been racing with the bike since then. The pedals are a little tall and i seemed to strike a lot more with them then with the standard pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [Technobuyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Technobuyer wrote:
I'm on my second set of the V3's. The first was replaced under warranty pretty early on. This set I'm using now, has the new battery doors, and has been pretty bulletproof, even after a couple of battery swaps. I still put a couple dabs of mineral oil between the batteries. There is something on the Garmin site somewhere about doing that, but I can't remember where I saw it. I admit I was very frustrated at first with the pedals, but they have been pretty solid since about June. Now that I've said that, I bet they fail tomorrow. Oh well...
Garmin's page describes battery fretting, and so they recommend the mineral oil.

But you could probably just solder them together if it's a continuing problem.
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin support - absolutely awesome on the phone or chat (they literally can’t do enough for you), terrible if you just email them....
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would look at putting a bit of heatshrink over the batteries to stop them moving against each other, some batteries are made like this ( wel a thin plastick shrink anyway), for example those 12v ones that used to be in car alarms.

spudone wrote:
Garmin's page describes battery fretting, and so they recommend the mineral oil.

But you could probably just solder them together if it's a continuing problem.
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [JRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin support told me to try the single battery (CR1.3N) as others had with good results. That's what I have been using and have had no issues since switching to those, along with the new battery doors.
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First set of V3 good for 9 months, then failed with unrecognized error codes. 2nd set lasted a few indoor rides before dropouts and cipollini-shaming power. Asked for and received 3rd set in consumer packaging (not a brown box). Was able to return them to original vendor for full refund - disclosed the whole situation. Both failures prevented me from having power at races. Customer support was fine, but I'm done with Garmin V3 (and maybe Garmin, overall).
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The more I read things like this the more it affirms my (usual) decision never to buy the latest and greatest until about a year later when year 1 customers have done the beta testing. 1st generation products no matter how much testing the manufacture says it does usually has some kind of problem.
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, but these pedals were generation *3*. I thought that Garmin had figured out the bugs from the 1st and 2nd gen devices.
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [krich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krich wrote:
Garmin support told me to try the single battery (CR1.3N) as others had with good results. That's what I have been using and have had no issues since switching to those, along with the new battery doors.

This is good advice - I might try these next although I have not had any issues with the LR44 units yet (bought in bulk from Amazon).
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
krich wrote:

This is good advice - I might try these next although I have not had any issues with the LR44 units yet (bought in bulk from Amazon).

I will try those too... as soon as I run though my supply of the others. Battery life is not as good as V1 or V2... so should not take too long :)
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [Stueys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stueys wrote:
Garmin support - absolutely awesome on the phone or chat (they literally can’t do enough for you), terrible if you just email them....

You are correct. I didn't receive a response (after several days) to my email through Garmin's website. This morning, I went to chat. Within a couple minutes, they said they would ship replacement pods free of charge to remedy my problem. And these are for Vector 2's -- not a current product. If my new pods arrive as promised, I'm going to be very impressed with Garmin's level of customer service.
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on whom you talk to, Garmin's customer service runs from harmful to helpful. I finally found someone that is trying hard, but I’m on my fourth set of Vector 3 pedals, six months into using them and they still don’t work. I think there are some fundamental design issues that haven’t been fully addressed. Buying the Vector 3 pedals is one of my biggest recent regrets in terms of fitness purchases and after dealing with Garmin for so many months to no resolution, I’m hesitant to buy anything else from Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye vector 3 [Stueys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stueys wrote:

really that's all I have ever done. Must have got the right guy
Quote Reply

Prev Next