Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

good but not great time for 1/2 IM for male 45-49..........
Quote | Reply
I just want to see times listed please.

Yes, I know every course is different. If you can't give me a ballpark figure on what's an acceptable time for a guy that's 45/49 that's perfectly fine. Go out and make it great day........
Quote Reply
Re: good but not great time for 1/2 IM for male 45-49.......... [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"acceptable time for a guy that's...."

You're 45/49 so obviously not trying to win Kona for fame or fortune. As a typical AG'er the only time that is acceptable is that which is acceptable for you and what your goals are. For me it's all about fun, fitness and a good bike time. Never worry or even think about my run because I know it'll be MOP any ways. Somebody else may have higher/lower standards that they place upon themselves. This is an individual sport so don't race against anybody else other than yourself because nobody else really cares. It really all depends what you want out of this. Just realize that you also have to balance the other things in your life.

What youre asking is really quite easy. Look at the prior AG results for the events you're thinking of participating in. Obviously that's the time to beat, but ask yourself how much sleep will you lose if you don't.
Quote Reply
Re: good but not great time for 1/2 IM for male 45-49.......... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you so much Cervelo guy!

I just won a $100 bet that the first Slowtwitch.com responder to my "question" could not give a direct answer to this very simple and straightforward question. Thank you, thank you thank you.........
Quote Reply
Re: good but not great time for 1/2 IM for male 45-49.......... [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I don't love a smart-ass answer (I do, I do), But what didcha expect?

You really didn't expect someone to go looking at IM race websites for past results and copy and paste them for you?

You never said what your experience is in racing IM races. I guess since you are asking the question, you're a novice.

Obviously, there's going different "good" times for an experienced 1/2IM racer, one that's done 2-3 and been training for a few years, and for those that are making their first 1/2IM race (or even first race overall).

I would have just said "A little less than half of a good IM time for a 45/49 year old" ... and let you figure it out ... but that's just me.

Normally, I wouldn't respond ... but, I was planning on asking about good 1/2 IM times for a 30/35 year old dude making his triathlon debut. Now, I know to ask my question more specifically, otherwise get the response of "whatever time is good for you". I'll ask for a "worthy of bragging to anyone within an earshot" time.

What I did when trying to figure out what was a good time for me (at shorter races) was go to the race websites, print out the results, and look at the times in the middle for each event. I assumed, since I'm such a stud, that even though the BOP'ers had more experience than me, that I could get better than BOP times. Yeah ... I set totally unrealistic goals and expect to hit them (People would be surprised how much more one accomplishes when they do this).

Now, at 1/2IM distance, I'll be happy if they give me my time on a stopwatch and not a sundial. If I ask my finish time and they pull out a calendar ... I quit. [That's polite talk ... If I don't pass a good number of people ... I'll be pissed]

I'll be looking up 1/2IM race results for my area (Illinois) and I'll post some MOP (good?), BOP, and elite times for your age group. See how nice us Northerners can be?

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 hours is good. 1:45 is very good. 1:30 is dang good. Anything faster should be illegal. PS, I'm in this age group.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the last guy finishing beat the guy who did not start, good time in my book
Quote Reply
Re: good but not great time for 1/2 IM for male 45-49.......... [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1/2 IM, not 1/2 marathon............

5:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone out there is doing good, but a good time, the time to shoot for..........5 hours!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5:00 and people should be buying you beers.

Anything under 5:45 shows that you prepared well, took it seriously and executed a good race plan.
Quote Reply
Re: good but not great time for 1/2 IM for male 45-49.......... [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flat course 5:30-5:45 1/2 IM California 2002 (bike around 2:45)

Hilly course 5:45-6:00 .. .. .. 2003 (.. .. 3:00)
Quote Reply
Re: good but not great time for 1/2 IM for male 45-49.......... [alan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2:30 is good for Oly time (>=2:00 is elite). Double that for 1/2IM, and you get 5 hours. Throw in an extra :30 or :45 for increased fatigue, and you've got 5:30 or 5:45 ... which would what my guess/estimation would be.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: good but not great time for 1/2 IM for male 45-49.......... [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
             Sorry guys. I agree that a 5:45 shows you prepared well and rode a good plan, but a 5:45 won't even get you into the top half of the 45-49 age group in most races. We're talking about a good time here. 5:00 won't get you an award, in most big races you'll need 4:30 to 4:45 for that, but it's a good race. You need a 36 minute swim, 21 mph on the bike and 1:45 on the run. All doable, painfull but doable.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: good but not great time for 1/2 IM for male 45-49.......... [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree Sweeney ... the poster said "good" which could mean anything. Good is about as descript as "cool".

Since the thred started needed to ask the question rather than reflect back on previous races, I assumed they were a complete newbie. A sub 5-hour 1/2IM is likely not "doable" for a rank beginner.

------------------------------

Folks really swim 1.2 miles in 36 minutes? There's a reality check. I'm wittling my 1500y time down to 36 min (39 min now @ zone 2)

-----------------------------

I'm hoping for a 1:20 swim (1.5 miles), 3:20 bike (56 miles), and a 2:00 run (13-miles). So my goal is a 6:40 1/2IM (actually a little longer swim) in thje 30/34 age group ... as my first race ever (with 9 months training).

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: good but not great time for 1/2 IM for male 45-49.......... [alan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, sorry. Yes, Half IM would be 5:45 good, 5:30 very good, 5:15 dang good, anything under 5 hours should be illegal.

BTW, 5:30-something got me 4th or 5th place (amazing how quickly I forget) in 94-97 degree heat at White Lake last year...so it depends upon the course and conditions. I'm comparatively a very good hot weather racer, so it played to my strength.

Quote Reply
Re: good but not great time for 1/2 IM for male 45-49.......... [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"but a 5:45 won't even get you into the top half of the 45-49 age group in most races"

Well I guess we must really suck in California, 5:45 would have got you to approximately the top 40% in 2002 and the top 25% in 2003.
Quote Reply
Re: good but not great time for 1/2 IM for male 45-49.......... [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blacksheep wrote: Well I guess we must really suck in California, 5:45 would have got you to approximately the top 40% in 2002 and the top 25% in 2003.

Isn't it amazing how often times are improving in this age group recently? Of course, it's a good thing...it shows people are training more effectively, and perhaps it shows more people are staying active longer in this sport.

Quote Reply
Re: good but not great time for 1/2 IM for male 45-49.......... [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that it matters much, but don't think I could be described as a "complete newbie".

I did my first triathlon in 1983. I just wanted other peoples feedback on what they considered "good".

Even though I've raced lots of triathlons through the years I haven't done a 1/2 IM yet. I'll do one in June in Lubbock, Texas and will just be happy to get it under my belt in about the not so good time of 5:30 and go from there. Thanks for all the imput.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will go out on a limb and state that anything under 5:00 is good and will likely get you near a top 5 finish in that age group. That said, I think that the 45-49 age group seems to be the worst in terms of performance differences between the "young" 45 year olds and the folks at 49. I am not there yet, but many of the people that I know race every bit as fast at 45 as they did at 40 and then over the next couple of years their times seem to drop off pretty quickly (unless you're Joe Bonness who kicked my ass at IMFL! .....and he likely does a 1/2 in 4:10-4:20)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That changes things a bit. Buffalo Springs is a tough course. If it's above 90(very likely, though conditions were mild last year), add 15 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Folks really swim 1.2 miles in 36 minutes? There's a reality check.
A 27 minute swim didn't even crack the top ten in M40-44 at the 2002 California Half.
Quote Reply