Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
going to IMC
Quote | Reply
I am not sure yet if I will drive from seattle or get back home then fly etc..
if flying, what's the best deal? flying to Vancouver? Penticton?
Seattle/Spokane and drive?
Quote Reply
Re: going to IMC [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure either. I'll email Tom and Jonathon and ask then fwd their reply.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kelowna, it's only about an hours drive to Penticton. I flew in through Vancouver last year and drove out. Very scenic, mostly open highway, but 4-5 hrs. We (my wife) and I had to drive back Monday afternoon, the day after the race. Even though she did all the driving, I was left pretty much in pretzel condition. Didn't help having a 6:30 am departure time Tuesday morning and two long flights back to New Jersey.
(Ed. : My bad, original post said Oliver)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Last edited by: parkito: Jun 10, 05 14:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that it is usually a better deal to not fly internationally. That is, fly from El Paso to Seattle and then drive (a nice drive, and not too long). Or you could fly into Spokane (eastern WA). The drive from Spokane is 225 miles, and it's 315 from Seattle, so it's a little shorter. Spokane and Seattle are about 275 miles apart.

Are you still going to be whuppin' up on us at IMFL?

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Last edited by: CCF: Jun 10, 05 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: going to IMC [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whuppin? you haven't been following my racing have you??
I want to go to an IM, with a good prep, race, with no injury, healthy, and do my stuff...if I do that I am happy, no matter what the time is.

now, someone will likely write that this was an arrogant post and I wrote I was going win canada in 7h34' but wtf...not my fault if people can't read :-)
Last edited by: Francois: Jun 10, 05 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was an arrogant post.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: going to IMC [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,

You can get a cheap flight from Vancouver to either Kelowna or Penticton on Westjet (www.westjet.com). If you catch a seat sale it is usually less than $100 beaver bucks each way. Nice drive from Kelowna down to Penticton (about 1 hr) but for ease I would just fly into Penticton and save yourself the car rental. Nice drive from either Seattle or Spokane but who wants the extra time in a car?

Hope that helps. See you at the finish line (I hope to be a finish line "catcher" this year).

robert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drive from Seattle, it's a 6 hour beautiful drive. August is the best month of the year in the NW, it's what tricks people into moving and/or staying here. You could take your time and check out the scenery along the way as opposed to showing up potentially without a bike. I think the airport (thus the planes that land) at Kelowna is small so often they just fly bikes to Vancouver and ship them over by land..I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: going to IMC [thirsty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my guess is that this is what I will do...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to fly to seattle/spokan is the best and cheapest option.....it will be a very cheap flight and you will avoid to pay for bike on the airplain as it is really expensive in canada and not consider a international flight from el paso or phoenix.....

driving is awsome and you will be happy to have a car the week before the race

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: going to IMC [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I could borrow yours :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hahahah, borrow the rv paseo and you'll not need a hotel!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
too sleep in....for sure

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: going to IMC [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard somewhere that jon is selling his car as an altitude tent in Tucson :-)
Quote Reply
Re: going to IMC [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah.... The Laveen ring in action...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with thirsty. The bike handling situation at Kelowna is very iffy. I have overheard announcements at IMC the day after the race stating that your bike may not make it onto your flight. And, Canadian customs once lost my bike for 3 @#(!) days! (different race)

Drive the North Cascades Highway (about 1 hour north of Seattle off of I-5), enjoy the scenery and stop in my new hometown/training mecca of Winthrop on the way.

"You know you are getting old when you see your father in the mirror." Anon.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Re: going to IMC [isbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto that. I haven't driven the Trans-Canada highway but I have a hard time imagining it would be more beautiful than the North Cascades Highway.
Quote Reply
Re: going to IMC [thirsty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best part of the Trans-Canada highway is from Calgary to Kamloops. Try it sometime, then you won't have to imagine.

Driving from Vancouver to Penticton.. not all that nice, you're right about that.
Quote Reply
Re: going to IMC [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stretch from Hope to Penticton is beautiful without question when you drive the Coquilhalla

Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Southwest Airlines my El Paso amigo....

try and catch a $99 each way fare EP-GEG(spokane), on which your bike will only cost $40 each way versus the $80+ one way bike charged by all the others (or ship it to your hotel ) then rent a vehicle in spokane (cheaper than seattle) and drive up from there

good luck.

side note on the Sept camp... with the new job the best i might be able to do would be a TH evening to SUN night gig. I'll PM you with some questions about it at some point.

l8trs

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: going to IMC [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm.. yeah.. I suppose that's pretty nice, but it's not the trans-canada.

Actually I've never driven the old number 1 route from Kamloops.. the non-Coq route.. I hear it's pretty outstanding...

The only part of the trans-canada you see driving to penticton is the Fraser Valley...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I wrote I was going win canada in 7h34' "

-=----------------------------------------------

That strikes me as an arrogant staement, my petit pois '-)

Seriously, when are you aiming to be in Penticton? We are driving down on the Sunday before. Would be good to meet up there, did you get an XXS Peaceful T? Wear it if ya did. I'll probably recognise you from all the Lightspeed posters (Ha Ha).

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: going to IMC [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
want to get there monday or tuesday latest.
Quote Reply

Prev Next