Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

giant trinity advanced pro 2
Quote | Reply
Forgive my ignorance, as i know nothing about giants line of tri bikes. In particular the pro 2 of this year is being run out cheapish around where i live. From what i hear and judging by the stack and reach (i ride a medium speed concept with medium far stem), i believe giant fit large, thus im probably a small. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...inity-advanced-pro-2
Can the ski bars be tilted on these bikes? How is the front adjustment, as i tend to ride fairly steep. Are the brakes easy to live with, unlike the propel roadie? Any nuances? The speed concept is probably faster, but is there any data out there on how slippery these things are? Thanks
Last edited by: IamSpartacus: Nov 19, 18 1:18
Quote Reply
Re: giant trinity advanced pro 2 [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello
Some comments as owner.
The bars can not be tilted.
I use a vuka 110 to have a little angle.
but you can use an inverted sky and have more angle.
the advance can not be changed as in the previous version, but it is enough.
my height is 1.75 cm and the size of the frame S
There is not much on the internet about how fast it is, but good to my understanding it is a fast and comfortable bike.
The brakes I never had problems working with them.
Change the pads followed since I use a disc HED and for the day to day a 100% carbon wheel.
I hope it serves you something.
regards
Rafael

P.D: sorry my english
Quote Reply
Re: giant trinity advanced pro 2 [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saddle fore adjustment isn't great. Bars have very limited adjustment and don't tilt. Brakes are painful.
Wind tunnel data from when they released the bike:

They've normalised it just to be difficult - shows that the P5 and SC are faster at race yaw (and this is obviously a best case scenario for the Trinity)

The only reason to go from an SC to a Trinity would be that your SC got crushed and wasn't insured so you're looking for the cheapest option and nothing else was available.
Quote Reply
Re: giant trinity advanced pro 2 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That solves that then! Much appreciated, I’ll direct the funds elsewhere
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bars are tough to adjust. Saddle fore/aft, however, is easy and offers good range. I think it’s darn fast. Rear brake is a pain. Previously on a Felt and a Blue Triad and would choose this again.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:

They've normalised it just to be difficult - shows that the P5 and SC are faster at race yaw (and this is obviously a best case scenario for the Trinity)

I'm like a broken record on this point, but "race yaw" is whatever yaw distribution you're seeing while you're actually racing. And sometimes it's not intuitive, depending on your speed and local conditions. I have raced at an average speed of 29 MPH (as a 40K TTer) and never saw a yaw less than 10 degrees for the whole ~50 minutes*. Since I race on that course a lot, and it has pretty predictable cross winds, *my* best bike may be the IA. Or this Giant. Even though the P5 or SC are well known to be better in more common conditions.

* According to BBS, and kiley isn't around anymore to remind me that BBS is a steaming pile of poo and meaningless, so I'm rolling with it. Suck it, kiley.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 19, 18 15:50
Quote Reply
Re: giant trinity advanced pro 2 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to that chart the Trek is at best 3-4W better as long as the yaw is less than 5 degrees which seems like a very small difference (some were claiming the oversize pulleys give 2W). The Trinity Advanced 2 for 2019 comes with di2 and a power meter for the same price as a mechanical shifting speed concept where I live. That would make a very compelling argument for the Giant.

What would you buy? Giant Trinity with di2 and power meter vs. Trek SC mechanical shifting and no power meter vs QR PR5 with mechanical shifting and aftermarket power meter if they are all roughly the same price .... for me, I am leaning towards the Giant after looking at these 3 options but still trying to come to a decision?
Quote Reply
Re: giant trinity advanced pro 2 [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
According to that chart the Trek is at best 3-4W better as long as the yaw is less than 5 degrees which seems like a very small difference (some were claiming the oversize pulleys give 2W). The Trinity Advanced 2 for 2019 comes with di2 and a power meter for the same price as a mechanical shifting speed concept where I live. That would make a very compelling argument for the Giant.

What would you buy? Giant Trinity with di2 and power meter vs. Trek SC mechanical shifting and no power meter vs QR PR5 with mechanical shifting and aftermarket power meter if they are all roughly the same price .... for me, I am leaning towards the Giant after looking at these 3 options but still trying to come to a decision?

Full disclosure: I own a 2013 Giant TCR Advanced. Best crit bike I've ever owned.

I kinda agree with cyclenutz - they normalized it tone difficult. But I see it worse than he does. Why would you do something to make it harder for your potential customers to make an informed decision. That just pisses me off. Unless I know it's gonna be the fastest bike for me, I'm not buying it. ever. period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:

If you're keen on a Giant you're better to get the Advanced (not the pro) and buy the extras that you want - including nice bars. Unless you are one of the small group of people who can get their best position on the Advanced Pro. It's not good value if it doesn't fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am going through the same dilemma.
Looking to get my first tri bike. Do sprints and Olys, eventually will do a half.
Always been keen to get a Trek SC - historically fast and very adjustable. Got a trek road bike which has been great.
Have been given a deal (through friends of the bike shop owner) for $900 off a Trinity Advanced Pro 1 2019. Is tempting with Di2 and a power meter. Makes it $400 cheaper than a 7.5 Trek SC.
Am 184cm (6 feet), long legs, short torso (reach), not great flexibility. Am worried how much adjustability the Trinity will have if i am at the top range of the medium frame.
Where i live not many independent fitters. Most shops deal with Giant or Trek.
I know i should get a fitting first.
What would you advise?
Am leaning towards the trek.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: giant trinity advanced pro 2 [MKen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The SC isn't that great as a first Tri bike - while it is very adjustable the adjustments can be time consuming and costly.
Ideally you would start with a conservative position so you like your new bike, then progress over the next few months as you adapt to that position style.
Which is difficult with most superbikes.
I'd be more keen on the Trinity Advanced (non pro) as mentioned above as it gives you room to move easily.

As far as preferring a Trek - guess which factory makes their top models...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Ideally you would start with a conservative position ...

please don't say "conservative"... you're one of the good guys!!!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 20, 18 3:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious as to what makes it so hard to fit someone on the Giant. On my current bike (Kestrel Airfoil 56) my pad x is 520mm to the centre of the pad and pad y is 625 ... I am 6ft tall and those numbers put me right in the mix for Slowman's orthodox riding position. For a M sized Giant Trinity Advanced the pad Y range is 610-660 and pad X is 462-532 (not sure if this is to the centre of the pad or not) which seems to fit right in the orthodox range as well. They have 2 stems and ski bend bars now that seem to correct any of the old issues so the only issue I envision is that the bars don't tilt. What am I missing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That is all the XY positions that the 2018 Trinity Advanced Pro bars could hit. The lower set are for the TT stem, which in practicality is a completely different bike (unless you wish to buy a fork with your stem change). Frames sized such that there was no stack overlap - you're a medium or a large - no grey zone.

For 2019 they have increased the stack options a bit, but it's not clear if that is just a taller stem or taller stem with more pad spacer options. From the look of the Geo chart the pad spacers are the same and you get a 20mm difference in stack from the stem. Which is a painful way to do it as changing that stem is no joke - a better pad spacer system (that doesn't let the aerobars wiggle) to get stack would have been a simpler solution.

So 2019 hasn't really improved (based on available info). Still big steps in X, limited Y and limited Z. You can get more pad width options with a PD Boom armrest and more extension options are easy enough. It is a bar system that requires being creative to generate more position options.
Quote Reply
Re: giant trinity advanced pro 2 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

please don't say "conservative"... you're one of the good guys!!!

After that you move to something more 'aggressive' ;-)
Sorry, conservative was shorter to type than 'add 20mm of stack for the getting started position'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By big steps in the x you mean 15mm as big steps so you can be off by roughly half that much in the horizontal fitting...does 7.5mm make that much difference in the fit. I figure I shift my arms fore and aft a lot more than that when I ride based on terrain. I would have thought the width or tilt would have been more of a concern.
Quote Reply