Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

getting a new road helmet, thoughts ?
Quote | Reply
My current lid is getting old and I'm interested in a MIPS helmet to protect the squash. The evade looks good, but perhaps hot ?? Giro's aether looks great, but the aero vanquish is there too. This is for solo and group ride, not racing.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: getting a new road helmet, thoughts ? [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find the gains to be really small as you pay more and more with helmets (other than aero helmets). I'm willing to pay $$ for an aero racing helmet, but for everyday riding I don't think you get much for jumping from the $60-$80 price range to the $200 price range. I guess if you ride with people who care about gear a lot and judge each other for their gear, it'll help you seem cool.
But for just comfort, performance, and protection, I think spending a lot on a helmet is a waste of money. (Although I might be convinced that Bontrager's recent WaveCell helmets actually DO offer better protection and could be worth the extra $$).

I find that Giro's basic MIPS models are fantastic - well ventilated, comfortable, affordable, easily available, easy-to-find replacement pads, etc.
Isode MIPS is dirt cheap and is great.
Foray MIPS is a step up and is also great.
Quote Reply
Re: getting a new road helmet, thoughts ? [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my HJC Sports Furion. It’s the lightest helmet ever at 190 grams. The fit took some getting used to initially as it is snug front to back. I just learned that you don’t want to ratchet down the fit too much. I believe the aerodynamics are great though and it’s very sharp in the matte/gloss black combination.

It does not have CPSC approval. So it’s not race legal unless you’re USAT elite. It does pass safety for Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Korea.
Quote Reply
Re: getting a new road helmet, thoughts ? [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are not racing, get a comfortable lid (light, well ventilated). As mentioned, you can save a lot by getting a helmet that is a generation or two back but is still 95% as good. Ex. a Giro Aeon goes for ~$100 online these days, a Synthe MIPS for ~$10-20 more.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply