Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

garmin 500 for your wrist?
Quote | Reply
I really like the garmin 500 because with 8 fields you never need the buttons

I wish they made a wrist strap so you could wear a edge 500 as a watch but they dont (or do they?)

So now looking at watch options... Second hand is okay because it fors my son. Im looking at the garmin 310xt and 910xt, because good battery and max number of fields

Are there any other watch models with 8 simultaneous fields or more ?
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 500 for your wrist? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
I really like the garmin 500 because with 8 fields you never need the buttons

I wish they made a wrist strap so you could wear a edge 500 as a watch but they dont (or do they?)

So now looking at watch options... Second hand is okay because it fors my son. Im looking at the garmin 310xt and 910xt, because good battery and max number of fields

Are there any other watch models with 8 simultaneous fields or more ?

I thought the 310xt and 910xt were limited to 4 fields?

Fenix 6X allows for 8 fields; Suunto 5 allows for 7. I have a 6X Pro Sapphire and I'm pretty satisfied with the readability at max fields while moving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With garmin iq apps you can get more than 4 fields on one screen.

With the 945 you can get up to 6 fields with the watch out of the box
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

Garmin did make a strap for the 310XT (and similar) watches so that you could move the watch from your bike to your wrist, it used the same type of attachment as the Edge 500 so I believe it would allow you to wear the 500 on your wrist.

This is the product:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evfVnowHVOU
Last edited by: hobbyjogger: Jul 20, 20 13:50
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 500 for your wrist? [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This.

I have an old 310xt plus a quick release kit, but no clue what happened to the charger :p

The quick release kit would allow for any garmin quarter mount device to it.

That said, it's rotated 90 degrees from the cycling mounts, so a computer on your wrist would be sideways if looking at it the same way you look at a watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the 310, but the 910 was/is limited to displaying four fields on a single screen. I'm not sure how useful a 500 would be on your wrist anyway. Assuming you want your son to use it for running. The 500 does not have a running mode. You won't get pace displayed in a way like you would on a running watch. The best you could get is mph (not min/mile). I can't think of six total metrics that the 500 offers that would be useful to display while running...mph, HR, distance, elapsed time, and elevation. But, when you go to upload the file, it is going to upload as ride. If you still want to go the route of having a 500 on your wrist, maybe you could modify a quick release mech that was originally meant for a 910 or 920. Or maybe you could epoxy a standard quarter-turn mount onto a blank watch band.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, Garmin makes a strap that any Garmin 1/4 turn device can mount to: https://www.amazon.com/...ng-Kit/dp/B0009PUJV6

Functional, but isn't going to win any fashion awards.

You could also 3D print your own (and use the strap of your choice: https://www.stlfinder.com/...25-UIASe8mC/8539289/

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lezyne (used to) sell a version of their micro GPS computer with a watch band. I can't find it on their web site, so maybe it's been discontinued. There are some sellers still offering stock, and second-hand might be an option.

https://www.bicycleranch.com/...s-watch-278823-1.htm

Last edited by: sathomasga: Jul 20, 20 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 500 for your wrist? [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the good tips.

The idea would be a watch for all sports : supping, kayaking, rollerblading, biking and running.

Seems the edge 500 is too sensitive to arm swings making the max speed reading useless for skating for example
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Thanks for all the good tips.

The idea would be a watch for all sports : supping, kayaking, rollerblading, biking and running.

Seems the edge 500 is too sensitive to arm swings making the max speed reading useless for skating for example

What you want is a multisport watch. The 910 then the 920 were developed for just this purpose.

Besides swim, bike & run they have an "other" option.

You may be limited to less than 8 fields but really do you need that many?

You can always download the data & look at pretty much any metric you want.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're going to have a compromise to make.
If you want 8 data fields on one screen, either the screen has to be big or the fields have to be small.
On the bike, it's easy enough to read small stuff on a screen mounted on the bars. However, I wouldn't like my data fields much smaller than you can get on a reasonably sized watch screen like the 920XT.
My previous watch was a 910XT which I think had a slightly smaller display area and lower contrast and I found it borderline for running with 4 fields on a screen. You could read it, but not as easily as I'd like while running hard.
I think the 500 is a bit too big and bulky to want to put it on my wrist. I think I'd rather have a 920XT with 4 fields and have to switch screens occasionally for any other data you might want.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 500 for your wrist? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 945 has good navigation, if you can stand the cremend size. It also comes with mounts to mount the watch face to the bike, so you don’t have to look at your wrist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the answer is in the second post, Fenix 6X. Not cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 500 for your wrist? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
You could also 3D print your own (and use the strap of your choice: https://www.stlfinder.com/...25-UIASe8mC/8539289/

I have Garmin 910XT triathlon bundle which comes with this. I happen to have Garmin 500 too, but why would you want that on your wrist? Font is small, so it'shard to see.
I use 920XT for running and it's easy to see in the sun. Most of all, it's light.

Quote Reply
Re: garmin 500 for your wrist? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As mentioned above, 8 fields might be okay for bike but less handy other sports.

Are the 4 fields on the 920xt completely customisable per page? I found with other polar and garmin watches that some fields or field cominations were fixed per page. With the edge you could choose 1 to 8 fields and customise each field, choosing which are in bigger text etc.
Quote Reply