Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [jcaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points above. FWIW, in my experience it's not that limited (i.e. it's pretty darn functional) from a power perspective:
http://sites.google.com/site/garminpower/

There are a couple areas where they could improve it, which they may even eventually do with firmware upgrades, although I'm not holding my breath.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Steve,
Before each outdoor run with my first 310XT, I made sure that I had excellent satellite lock. When it came time to doing an indoor session, the unit would prompt me if I was indoors: Yes or NO. Even with selecting indoor, the internal clock still kept the correct date and time. The only reason why I returned that unit was because the watch band spring pins kept releasing sending the unit flying.

If I am understanding your point, correctly: Are you saying that I should rescan for satellites again before turning it off? I didn't need to do that with the first 310XT. The owners manual doesn't suggest doing that. And I have not had to do that with my previous FR305. The clock problems only occurred with the second and third units that I exchanged for.

Again GARMIN tech support was great both on-line and on the phone. It was comforting to know I was speaking to someone locally who knows about the product.

My local store may have had a bad production line in stock. I just figured to stop the frustration...get a refund...before the warranty expires or the unit is damaged (and out of warranty) or is lost during a race.

Thanks for your suggestions.
-Joe
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [Kinesio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had the same thing happen to me on my second 310...now waiting for #3. I love the functionality of the device, but Garmin needs to improve its durability by some measure.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my 310XT do the March 2007 deal a couple of times for indoor workouts, too. Not every time. Just a couple. I was able to "fix" the files. But, it was a pain in the @$$. So, I did some digging on the Garmin forums.

The solution I found was, instead of turning on the unit before an indoor workout and immediately disabling the GPS, let it lock onto satellites first. Then, disable the GPS.

When it locks onto satellites, it updates the time/date. And, as long as you don't turn the unit off again before disabling GPS and doing your workout, it should keep the correct time/date.

If my unit asks me if I'm indoors when I turn it on, I select no and let it lock onto satellites before manually disabling GPS.

I never had this issue with my 305. And, we shouldn't have it with the 310XT. But... It's a minor inconvenience for an otherwise excellent tool. So, I'll live with it.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Last edited by: The_Mickstar: Feb 17, 10 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [jcaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I have had my 310XT since September or October and haven't had a single issue. I wish it were a bit smaller but that's my only gripe.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine has the same issue (ver 2.6). I was wondering about this. I noticed that when I do indoor trainer workouts and upload my data, the time is always set to a different time zone. Quick fix on th Garmin site and once I change the Time Zone, the actual time is correct, but it makes sense that since it is not getting a satallite lock the watch time would not be correct.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically the 205/305 clock kept running, even when you turned the thing off. I took this for granted. I could go for a run one day, then turn it off, then turn it on inside a day later and it would have the correct day and time. I was reminded of the difference yesterday when I used my 205

edit: Actually probably more correct to say that the 205/305 doesn't lose the last time -- not that it actually keeps ticking while it's off. My bad.

The 310xt, by contrast seems to lose the clock as soon as you turn it off. I am surprised by this. Again, it would be nice if they would restore the 205/305 functionality
Last edited by: JoeO: Feb 17, 10 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The 310xt, by contrast seems to lose the clock as soon as you turn it off. I am surprised by this. Again, it would be nice if they would restore the 205/305 functionality

Correct, I noticed this the other day when I turned on the unit and kept an eye on the clock. The clock started up on the incorrect time and changed to the correct time....so I assume once it has a satallite lock the actual time updates. So, when indoors and you are not able to get a satallite lock, the time will never be correct, but you can correct it once uploaded to your Garmin Site.

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a software bug -- I had the same issue with my first 310xt. I searched the Garmin forums, found others had similar problems, and that their engineers figured out that it was a glitch and not operator error. I called up Garmin for a replacement and got one pretty quickly. Think about it -- you spend $200 for a GPS, and it can't tell time indoors? Doesn't do a whole lot of good when you're doing trainer workouts with a powertap. Now I'm trying to figure out why my backlight stopped working . . .
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [merlinkim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so this issue is probably fixed in ver 2.7, but reading the Garmin forums, ver 2.7 seems to have a lot of issues as well so I have no desire to upgrade to a new versions while my unit is running currently with no issues. I'll probably wait until ver 2.8 comes out and even then, wait a bit to get some feedback on what issues that version creates. As I mentioned above, Garmin seems to have usefull products, just a lot of software issues to go along with them :(

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the 310XT since Dec 09. I love it. I've tried just about all the functions out on the watch and it works seamlessly. The settings are almost endless. I still WISH it was able to pick up HR while swimming. Unfortunately I tried that and it doesn't. Great for training and races. The online Garmin Training Connect is pretty cool as well.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [merlinkim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify, this is actually a hardware problem, not a software bug - it only affects certain watches. The "fix" is to replace the watch with another one that doesn't have the HW problem. Garmin has't come up with a software workaround yet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next