Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

for those of u logging TSS, CTL etc
Quote | Reply
how far u guys take it logging non tri related sports?
I'll log my time and TSS for swimming biking and running in TP. But I also play soccer and do long recreational hikes with my girlfriend on the weekends. But i'm not logging those. Should I? Do you? :)
Quote Reply
Re: for those of u logging TSS, CTL etc [peet4ride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did 36 hours of mogul and steep skiing last week and 20 the week before (avrg of 6500m / day and 50 miles) I count that. I dont count golf.............
Quote Reply
Re: for those of u logging TSS, CTL etc [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
u also log tss for that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only log my structured Swim, Bike and Run workouts i.e. those where I have a specific workout goal. I don't log any extra-curricular activities or even commuting miles on the bike, which although they can add up to a significant amount of time over the week (4-6+ hours), I think any triathlon-applicable training benefit will be minimal and just add to the "noise" in the data. I just tend to ignore the fatigue associated with these activities (perhaps wrongly) and mentally lump it in with the rest of the day-to-day fatigue that I have to deal with! A lot of people advocate against logging swim TSS (or at least tracking it separately to Bike+Run TSS/CTL) for similar reasons, in that it's a very different type of stress on the body to bike and run activities and can be heavily skewed depending on your technique.

If you think that they're adding any triathlon-applicable training benefit then you could stick in some conservative values for them. If you do, I'd try to keep an eye on things separately as well. e.g. if you're using Training Peaks, maybe have a few Performance Management Charts showing (1) all activities, (2) just bike & run activities, (3) swim activities, (4) other activities.

That's just my two cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I log my weight training and hiking.. I let training peaks figure out TSS for my weight sessions.. As for my hikes climbing mountains in the Adirondacks I usually give z2-3 points towards the ascent and z1z2 for the descent depending how tough things were. 8-14 hour hikes are definitely worth a few tss..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyclist only, and rarely do anything besides ride. Sitting on around 110/day CTL for the past 16 weeks or so, ideally TSS is 0 each day besides riding :)

If I cross train a little in the off season, well, I'm not really worried about CTL for those couple months, so logging the TSS isn't important.

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry for bumping this one.

Question for bike TSS: I commute 30mins a day on my mtb. (2x15min ride very easy usually) I use this as my recovery rides. Its about 20hrtss 6 times a week.
These 2x15min rides (120hrtss total every week) should i add these in Trainingpeaks for a 'complete' view on fatique(ATL) and form(TBS)

I have a optical hr watch so at the moment it all goes automatic to my TP account. But I don't know if this give me a false view on my training progress (performance management chart).

thank you
Last edited by: peet4ride: Aug 1, 18 10:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old thread yes, but since you bumped it.

That's 120 TSS you are adding, and my guess is that is an extra 15% or so to your week?

If those are ALWAYS the same, I feel like it going to come out in the wash. I think that the difference will be for recovery in the really big weeks or the race weeks.What that extra 3 hours a week will do is make the PMC look like your 'fitness' increase is slower over time or that it takes longer to really increase fitness.

I had an optical HRM, but purchased a strap for workouts as the numbers seemed more accurate.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: for those of u logging TSS, CTL etc [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pure on bike? Yes.

But when i do a 30min recovery ride on my indoor trainer, i do log.
So the question is:

What's the difference between a 30min ~100bmp ride and a 2x15min ride same hr outdoor but with 7 hours in between :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would ask yourself it you push for those 15min rides. If you do 'work' then you should count it. If you just soft pedal and roll along, then it is likely not really anything that provides a training benefit, so would not be helpful to add your CTL (would skew it).

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if its really easy commute, I doubt its as much as you think. I just did a 100min easy ride and think I hit about 50tss and I was still passing people on the bike path. i'd say you would be lucky it it were even 10tss each day
Quote Reply