Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

foot numbness
Quote | Reply
After riding for approx. 30 minutes, both feet go numb, mostly my toes. I am using Carnac TRS6's and Speedplay pedals. I had this problem with the last pair of shoes and pedals I used. Does anyone have any suggestions? The Carnacs are very comfortable, and seem to fit correctly.

Thanks,

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: foot numbness [shembree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I posted a message yesterday regarding this same problem. I'm wearing Carnac 7's and using Look pedals. When I was doing my brick on sunday it made it really difficult to run coming right off the bike, which worries me that it will happen during a race. My Carnacs are very comfortable. Someone said it might be that the strap is too tight, or that I'm mashing too much, neither of which is true. I'll just have to try and wiggle my toes more on my long rides this weekend. Let me know if you find a solution. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a doctor, but I know people who are doctors.

Seriously, do you have a wide forefoot? I do, I've found that Carnac Tri shoes are not good for me (numb toes) although the Ellipse was acceptable. I have since settled on shimano shoes, I have yet to try their tri shoe.

Which toes are going numb? Is it just your toes, or also other areas of the foot? If you can isolate the problem as specifically as possible, you will probably find the solution. This is probably caused by too much pressure on the nerves in your foot, but may be something else.

Check out this link, might be helpful:

http://www.apma.org/sports/cycling.html

Cheers

J.

PS. I read Tom D's shoe fit guide, I'm not sure if I agree with his recommendations. I think cycling shoes should be snug, with no movement, but not tight, certainly not 2 full sizes smaller than my running shoes. But maybe he buys running shoes differently than me, I like them snug as well. Be willing to try different brands, and stick to whatever works when you do find the right match. But he's the expert, not me.
Last edited by: jasonk: Mar 25, 03 9:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Demerly has an article on bike shoe fit on his site now (www.bikesportmichigan.com). The gist of it is that your bike shoes should be waaaaay smaller than other shoes. He says, contrary to intuition, that frequently hot spots, numbness, etc., are due to shoes to loose rather than too tight.
Quote Reply