Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

flip turn with a snorkel
Quote | Reply
yes I'm dumb enough to think this might work.

Does it? Or just do an open turn? I'm not swimming fast enough to worry about saving seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: flip turn with a snorkel [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does assuming you are using a snorkel that is in the front in line with your nose (not the scuba kind of snorkels that are on the side).

When you flip turn and are on your back, the snorkel should be in between your arms while streamlining (you'll need to have a good streamline). It will move a bit as you push off and turn but your arms should keep it from getting completely screwed up. Do not break streamline until you have fully rotated onto your stomach.

I sometimes will need to adjust it mid pool and I can do that just by nudging the snorkel with my bicep during the recovery phase of the stroke.

edit: it should be obvious that you will need to clear the snorkel as you surface after each flip turn.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jun 5, 18 6:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it works (if you can clear it consistently like Steve), but I've given up on it and just do open turns. most of my snorkel swimming is recovery or technique based pulling anyway, so not concerned with splits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The key is proper flip turn technique, make sure you go straight over, push off on your back, and rotate onto your front after you push off, if that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not hard. I suck at swimming and can do it indefinitely. Just take a breath before your flip turn, exhale through your nose like usual during a flip turn, but when you push off the wall in streamline give a good exhale through your mouth to clear the snorkel.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: flip turn with a snorkel [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks to Steve and all for these responses, it's really helpful. I'll give it a try (though may end up as a strange denizen sighting).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not dumb. It definitely works.

Stability with a snorkel is a big issue though. Turns will usually take some practice to figure out how to manage your body and head position as well as air to clear the snorkel once the top clears the water again. These are also skills that help improve turns with or without a snorkel. It's not so much swimming around the snorkel, but letting the snorkel help you focus on other parts of your stroke and turns.

Our Focus Snorkel is very stable and comfortable to use. In the past I have used a lot of snorkels including swimming with side mount snorkels. In my experience, the Focus Snorkel is the most stable option available and performs really well in all aspects of every lap, especially the turns and push off.

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply