Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
favero assioma clip in/out tension
Quote | Reply
I'm seriously considering buying the assioma, but I'm worried about the tension to clip out of the pedals. I'm currently using shimano ultegra pd-6700 spd-sl and i have the tension dialed at the minimum setting. I like the ease in clipping out with these shimano pedals. I don't mind switching to assioma pedals if the favero tension can be lowered close to the shimano spd-sl.

Can the assioma tension be set close to the tension of the ultegra pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: favero assioma clip in/out tension [petshopboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tension issue was discussed in this thread.

I installed a set of Duos on my bikes in June. I, too, had issues with the release tension. I followed the instructions on adjusting the tension setting and it is now easier to unclip. It's not as loose as my Speedplays but it is definitely easier to unclip. I don't use Ultegra pedals so I can't comment on a comparison to them. But I've had no issues with the pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: favero assioma clip in/out tension [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
The tension issue was discussed in this thread.

I installed a set of Duos on my bikes in June. I, too, had issues with the release tension. I followed the instructions on adjusting the tension setting and it is now easier to unclip. It's not as loose as my Speedplays but it is definitely easier to unclip. I don't use Ultegra pedals so I can't comment on a comparison to them. But I've had no issues with the pedals.

thank you for your input.

i’m still interested in input relative to shimano pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was using Ultegra for years and then installed Assioma Duo earlier this year. Yes, they are a bit stickier to unclip than Ultegras but I don't find it to be too much of a problem. I haven't tried the solution mentioned in the link above.

Overall I can't say enough good things about the pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I removed one spring and it works perfectly.

IG -frebay | Strava
Last edited by: frebay: Mar 5, 19 15:35
Quote Reply
Re: favero assioma clip in/out tension [frebay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to source a 'softer' spring. TrainerRoad post eluded to one. Assuming there is such a thing, would replacing the spring be problematic, ie requiring special tools? I'm just asking because you've successfully taken yours apart
Quote Reply
Re: favero assioma clip in/out tension [Rixter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rixter wrote:
I'm trying to source a 'softer' spring. TrainerRoad post eluded to one. Assuming there is such a thing, would replacing the spring be problematic, ie requiring special tools? I'm just asking because you've successfully taken yours apart

No need to source a softer spring, take it apart, remove one spring, add some blue locktite and you are good to go. Very easy to do, took about 5 min each pedal. I feel so much safer clipping in and out now.

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, let’s just say that I have a history of screwing things up. It looks like you need two hex wrenches, one for each side. You unscrew the pin to the outside of the pedal. Does the spring fall out easily, or do you need to compress it and pull it out with pillars? Do you have to be careful not to let the pin come all the way out and the both springs fallout?
I really need to fix this. Yesterday it took three attempts to release my shoes. Fortunately, I was safely mounted on the trainer, but it’s a real concern for when I get outside.
Quote Reply
Re: favero assioma clip in/out tension [alfaholic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alfaholic wrote:
So, let’s just say that I have a history of screwing things up. It looks like you need two hex wrenches, one for each side. You unscrew the pin to the outside of the pedal. Does the spring fall out easily, or do you need to compress it and pull it out with pillars? Do you have to be careful not to let the pin come all the way out and the both springs fallout?
I really need to fix this. Yesterday it took three attempts to release my shoes. Fortunately, I was safely mounted on the trainer, but it’s a real concern for when I get outside.

Correct you need 2 hex tools. one hex is a tube, so u just pull it out. No need to compress or anything. Do it one at at time, so you can see which way the spring is supposed to go. The spring will just fall out.

I had fallen so many times clipping out w/ the tension on these pedals, so my original plan was to just switch the springs out with another pedal but it didn't fit, so I just figured I'd try with one, and it's been such a life safer. I have so much more confidence when coming to a stop or at stop lights.

PM me if you need extra help, but it's pretty straight forward.

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alfaholic wrote:
Thanks for the clarification.

Forgot to mention, you have to take the tension adjustment screw all the way out first.

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dammit! Where were you a year and a broken shoulder ago??

Definitely going to be doing this this weekend!! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this appear to be the correct process?

1) Remove pedal from crank arm
2) Remove tension adjustment screw at rear of pedal
3) Use two hex wrenches to loosen the barrel from the pin
4) Remove barrel and slide pin out past inner spring
5) Remove spring
6) Apply blue Loctite and slide pin back into position
7) Reconnect to barrel and pin with hex wrenches
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alfaholic wrote:
Does this appear to be the correct process?

2) Remove tension adjustment screw at rear of pedal
3) Use two hex wrenches to loosen the barrel from the pin
4) Remove barrel and slide pin out past inner spring
5) Remove spring
6) Apply blue Loctite and slide pin back into position
7) Reconnect to barrel and pin with hex wrenches

Pretty much. Just looked at it again, there might be a chance where you don't have to remove the tension screw. just lossen the barrel from pin w/ 2 hex and slide it out remove one spring. If it gets hard to remove then yes you would have to remove the tension screw.

Doesn't matter which spring you remove.

IG -frebay | Strava
Last edited by: frebay: May 3, 19 14:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I played with the tension screws for a tad and eventually got them to be as easy to clip out as any other look type of a pedal. They are a tad harder to clip into though, but that's fine by me. Using the stock cleats, ie the xpedos.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: favero assioma clip in/out tension [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completed the job and they work much better for me now. I'm small 134lbs, and old, 62. It doesn't take much to keep my shoes attached. Thanks for the help. Here are my revised instructions for anyone that finds this thread in the future.

2) Loosen tension adjustment screw at rear of pedal, no need to remove.
3) Use two hex wrenches to remove inside screw from the pin
4) Move pin out past inner spring by taping lightly with larger hex wrench against pin
5) Remove spring, it will just slide out
6) Push pin back into position
7) Apply blue Loctite to screw
8) Reconnect screw and pin with hex wrenches
Last edited by: alfaholic: May 3, 19 16:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alfaholic wrote:
I completed the job and they work much better for me now. I'm small 134lbs, and old, 62. It doesn't take much to keep my shoes attached. Thanks for the help. Here are my revised instructions for anyone that finds this thread in the future.

2) Loosen tension adjustment screw at rear of pedal, no need to remove.
3) Use two hex wrenches to remove inside screw from the pin
4) Move pin out past inner spring by taping lightly with larger hex wrench against pin
5) Remove spring, it will just slide out
6) Push pin back into position
7) Apply blue Loctite to screw
8) Reconnect screw and pin with hex wrenches

Great! Cheers to not falling over anymore.

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my pedals in November. Love them. I read a ton about the tension issues and found some people mentioned that Look Keo Gray cleats were much better. So I immediately swapped out to those cleats and really like them. They seem to clip in and out pretty well. I haven't touched the tension screws. No need.
Quote Reply
Re: favero assioma clip in/out tension [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
I got my pedals in November. Love them. I read a ton about the tension issues and found some people mentioned that Look Keo Gray cleats were much better. So I immediately swapped out to those cleats and really like them. They seem to clip in and out pretty well. I haven't touched the tension screws. No need.

Agree 100% the grey Looks work perfectly!
Quote Reply
Re: favero assioma clip in/out tension [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I've been having the same issues with clipping out. I tried ordering these Look Keo Gray cleats, but they won't stay clipped in which is almost as dangerous as not clipping out. They literally just barely pop in and without any force they just pop right back out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ORKXWI6/

Could you link me to gray Look Keo cleats that actually work?

Rob Russell
TeckLyfe
Quote Reply
Re: favero assioma clip in/out tension [rbrussell82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbrussell82 wrote:

Assioma and PowerTap use the same cleats which aren't quite Look Keo... but close enough to be dangerous. Search for Assioma / PowerTap / Xpedo Thrust 7 cleats.

Those 'proper' Look Keo cleats are only good for Vectors and IQSquare... and Look pedals, I guess.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: favero assioma clip in/out tension [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have look-pedals on my tt-bike and assioma on my roadbike. I use the grey clears that were supplied with the look-pedals on one pair of shoes and red look cleats one pair and on my third pair of shoes i have red wellgo-cleats, all work nice for me. I am a pretty big guy and like to have high tension release. Not fun to accidently unclipp during a 1500w sprint... that happened twice on a wattbike at the gym...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't IQ2 be in pink?
Quote Reply
Re: favero assioma clip in/out tension [rbrussell82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbrussell82 wrote:
velocomp wrote:

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I've been having the same issues with clipping out. I tried ordering these Look Keo Gray cleats, but they won't stay clipped in which is almost as dangerous as not clipping out. They literally just barely pop in and without any force they just pop right back out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ORKXWI6/

These are what I use. I've had no problems clipping in or out. Probably over 8000 miles.

https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
rbrussell82 wrote:

Assioma and PowerTap use the same cleats which aren't quite Look Keo... but close enough to be dangerous. Search for Assioma / PowerTap / Xpedo Thrust 7 cleats.

Those 'proper' Look Keo cleats are only good for Vectors and IQSquare... and Look pedals, I guess.

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'proper' Look Keo cleats. I have a pair of Look Keo 2 MAX pedals from sometime in 2017 and the cleats that came with them work very well with Assiomas.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply

Prev Next