Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

fall ironman 2019
Quote | Reply
Hello team slowtwitch!

I am looking for a different ironman race to do in 2019 and due to my schedule the fall would work best. Any thoughts on which race would be best between Florida, cozumel, or arizona?

Preferably i would like wetsuit swim and a hard bike course (maybe that does not exist with this group?)

Any thoughts on this group of races?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: fall ironman 2019 [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not in your list of possibilities, but if you want a wetsuit swim and a challenging bike course, come to Louisville in October! The run is pancake flat but the finish line is one of the very best out there... it gets LOUD!
Quote Reply
Re: fall ironman 2019 [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx - i actually never thought of that - i will put it on my list of possibilities. I have never been there before. Looks like fun.
Quote Reply
Re: fall ironman 2019 [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beastofbourbon wrote:
Not in your list of possibilities, but if you want a wetsuit swim and a challenging bike course, come to Louisville in October! The run is pancake flat but the finish line is one of the very best out there... it gets LOUD!
+1 if you want the wetsuit swim and harder bike. Louisville is a good race (toxic algae scares notwithstanding).

IMFL is likely to be a wetsuit swim (I think it only hasn't been once), but damn that bike course is boring.

IMChoo is also a nice race, but unlikely to be wetsuit legal (although it was for the 70.3WC in 2017). It's a more scenic bike course once you get out of town. A bit easier than Louisville, although 4 miles longer. Killer run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arizona is wetsuit legal every year. The bike course is three loops, essentially an out and back three times. There is a slight climb towards the turn around. I say slight because it is nothing to me since I do some of my training in northern Arizona where the climbs are more dramatic. If you come out of the water around 1:10, expect to have a nice empty bike course up until about loop three I think. The weather is typically nice, cold in the morning but warms throughout the day. The timing of Arizona usually is the weekend before Thanksgiving, which means you can thoroughly enjoy eating your turkey dinner.

I have not raced Florida or Cozumel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you want a wetsuit? if the answer is because you want an easier swim, than you should just do Chattanooga. Wetsuit or not, you'll likely go sub-1hr. 116 mile bike course, it ain't easy (but certainly not the ahrdest either)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: fall ironman 2019 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Why do you want a wetsuit? if the answer is because you want an easier swim, than you should just do Chattanooga. Wetsuit or not, you'll likely go sub-1hr. 116 mile bike course, it ain't easy (but certainly not the ahrdest either)

Only a MOP swimmer but FOP biker so the wetsuit usually helps. Not mandatory, as i will survive (I hope), but preferable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then you definitely want Chattanooga!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy cow. Just checked IM LV home page. General entry pricing still available. If you're close to race ready you don't have to wait untill next year. On an unrelated note I wish they offered a 70.3 Allen

TRIATHLON ART FOR YOUR PAIN CAVE: https://tinyurl.com/ydefvjhq
Quote Reply
Re: fall ironman 2019 [slowbutmoving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Sweden (Kalmar). You will never forget/regret it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wisconsin! It is early, 2nd weekend in September so not sure if that jives with your schedule but the bike course is tough but oh so fun. There are 3 punchy hills and on one of them people line up Tour de France style and cheer you on. I had a dude in a devil costume hitting me on the butt, multiple dudes in speedos/costumes running along side, etc The swim (I think it's always been wetsuit legal) exit has you running up a parking ramp again lined with spectators. The run is relatively flat except for one decent hill you do twice but you run down State street (aka party central), through the U of Wisc stadium and then to the capital.
1 loop swim
2 loop bike course (16 miles then two ~40 mile loops then return to town, mostly likely with a headwind)
2 loop run
Quote Reply