Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

explain to me the warranty repairs process for Cervelo bikes/frames
Quote | Reply
Here's my situation. I bought a BNIB Cervelo P3 frame from an authorized Cervelo shop in Nebraska. They shipped it to me, I put it together, all good.

Now 2 years later, the steering stop pin falls out somewhere mid-ride or maybe during the transport. Now the fork starts to contact the frame, and it moves the Tririg centerpull brake, which in terms causes the front wheel to run, etc.

I emailed Cervelo support, they told to contact a local dealer here in Los Angeles. The local dealer contacted Cervelo and they supposedly told them that they don't have those pins in stock. The local guy is telling me to go source the pin on my own and he wants to charge me for epoxying it back in. The original seller is working on an RMA but it's been going on for over 2 weeks now with no progress. I can of course epoxy it myself, but given how much of a PITA this whole thing is I want to make sure that this part gets warrantied too.

In any case, do you feel that the local dealer is justified in charging me for labor (assuming I can even find the part)? Generally do the dealers have the mechanism of passing these charges back to the manufacturer like Cervelo? Like what if the seatpost fails - would they charge me for installing the new post? Never had to deal with this before, so I am very confused by how arbitrary the whole thing is.

By the way, if someone has one of those steering stops/pins for cervelo p2/p3, I'd love to buy it off of you.

Thanks!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: explain to me the warranty repairs process for Cervelo bikes/frames [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a warranty issue, you really should not have any out of pocket expenses.

But, more important, DO NOT do any of the frame repair work yourself as then you will be "up the creek" should things not end up perfectly. The repair should be done by the company or by their authorized reps only. Only then will you be covered should this problem occur again.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: explain to me the warranty repairs process for Cervelo bikes/frames [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I figured that to be the case... but I am kind of bothered by the local dealer wanting to charge me for epoxying the pin.

Quote Reply
Re: explain to me the warranty repairs process for Cervelo bikes/frames [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Yes, I figured that to be the case... but I am kind of bothered by the local dealer wanting to charge me for epoxying the pin.

You should not have to pay for a warranty repair. If the shop is trying to extract money, I would relay this info to the bike company, as this is likely an unauthorized action by their dealer (just a guess). The bike company would probably want to know that this is going on.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jul 8, 19 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: explain to me the warranty repairs process for Cervelo bikes/frames [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

You should not have to pay for a warranty repair. If the shop is trying to extract money, I would relay this info to the bike company, as this is likely an unauthorized action by their dealer (just a guess). The bike company would probably want to know that this is going on.

This. Exactly.

I did a warranty replacement of my P4, when the integrated R brake went south, and couldn't be repaired.
My LBS (not even the one I bought it from, as they had gone out of business a year prior) took care of everything, and even got me some Magura hydraulic brakes thrown in with the new frame.
Plus a NOS saddle they had sitting on the shelf.
Couldn't have asked for better treatment across the board.

I offered to pay them for their labor - willingly, and they refused; said that Cervelo took care of them for the labor costs.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the latest from Cervelo is that they don't consider this to be a warranty repair. Why? Well, because "the steering stop is a structural part of the frame that is bonded into the frame. Typically it is damaged by the fork impacting the steering stop. Impact is not covered by warranty."

I am kinda speechless. The part that was there to be seemingly preventing the fork from impacting the frame - surprise! - got hit by the fork and got loose/came out. So that's the justification for the dealer wanting money to epoxy it back in. Actually, Cervelo is telling me to use a frame repair shop, rather than a dealer.

The whole thing is nuts.

Last edited by: alex_korr: Jul 11, 19 10:48
Quote Reply