Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

etap malfunction question
Quote | Reply
I upgraded to road Red etap group about a year ago. Since about the 4th or 5th ride the RD has been failing to shift into bigger rings randomly. It almost never happens shifting down the cassette. Only up. When I hit the L shifter, the green light blinks on it, but no shift at all. Typically if I wait a bit and/or shift down, I suddenly can shift back up the cassette. Also, if I hit the L shift and it doesn't shift, I can actually manually move the derailleur left and then it will start shifting fine again. So all in all, about 80% of my shifts are fine regardless of the shifter used. Does that sound like an internal issue on the RD? Bought online from a bike shop in NY, and I can't very easily return.
Quote Reply
Re: etap malfunction question [davedaprato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven’t had that problem, but it sounds like a problem in the RD. Maybe it is binding, and if you just cleaned and oiled all of the friction points, it might right itself. If it’s an issue in the servo motor, it is probably not correctable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was having a similar problem with eTap on a Tri bike. Turns out there is a small number of rear mechs that have an issue similar to this (I read a few other forums with complaints of the same). SRAM has a new version of the 11 speed mech (https://cyclingtips.com/...-pulley-cage-clutch/) that they are now sending out for warranty repairs. I took the bike to my LBS and they took care of it for me. I suspect most shops can do the same, even if you did not purchase the bike there. I only have 2 medium rides, but I have noticed better shifting with the new mech. Most importantly, no skipped shifts. Hope this help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As TriMoose87 said, take it to the shop, they'll warranty it for you, it's a known issue, but they'll take care of it.
Quote Reply
Re: etap malfunction question [TriMoose87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha article was great - they designed a new RD for warranty purposes? Tells you it was significant enough to put that effort in. Doesn't make sense to redesign a part for warranty only purposes unless you're pushing a lot of warranty.

That said, I haven't had this issue and have been running ETAP on 3-4 bikes since it first came out. I had one broken battery tab but other than that, I haven't had a single issue in 4+ years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

I’m on my third WiFi RD.
Just got my replacement two weeks ago and it wasn’t the updated one.
And to make it great it stuck 4 times on today’s ride.
I have 3 bikes with E Tap and the only one I’m having trouble with is my newest group.
Grumpy Old Man
Quote Reply