Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
eBay Transaction Gone Bad - Wheel Arrived!
Quote | Reply
I need some advice on how to best handle this situation:

On February 14th I bid on and won a set of Zipp 909 wheels on eBay for $1,000. The seller had zero feedback and wanted a cashier's check. Before sending the check I wanted to talk to the seller to make sure that he was a real person. We exchanged phone numbers and in the resulting conversation I find out that he is a Slowtwitcher. In the past he has worked for both Softride and John Cobb. I even searched past posts and managed to match up the phone number that he gave me to one he posted in a reply on this forum. At this point I was very confident that the seller was a reliable person so I mailed the cashier's check for $1,000 plus shipping.

To make a long story short the wheels have never arrived. For the first 6 weeks he would return my phone calls and respond to my email. However over the last 2+ weeks he stopped communicating with me. I have filed a complaint with eBay and just today I put in a call to a friend of mine at the FBI for advice on how to legally purse this. As far as I can tell my options are as follows:

1. Wait for eBay to do nothing because as we know they accept no responsibility for transactions conducted on their site.
2. File a report with whatever police/federal agency has jurisdiction over this. If it is the FBI my friend might be able to pull a favor and at least rattle the seller cage a bit.
3. File a small claims action… I don't know if I file it here in Los Angeles or in the seller's city of Chattanooga, TN. This would give me a legal win but I doubt I would ever see the money or the wheels.
4. Post is name here on Slowtwitch and have some people who know him give me additional contact information or put a bit of pressure on him to live up to his agreements.

So… what would you do if you were me? Does anyone have any other suggestions? To be completely honest it isn't like the $1,000 will cause me to miss a meal or a mortgage payment but I just can't stand the thought of being completely ripped off.

Finally, I would never post something this serious anonymously.

Thanks,

Ron Johnson

----------

Last edited by: swmrdrn: Apr 29, 05 15:38
Quote Reply
Re: eBay Transaction Gone Bad - What to do? [swmrdrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can file an action in court where you live, then have it served. For out of state service you can contact APS International at www.civilactiongroup.com. If he doesn't answer, you can enter a default and get a judgment against him. That can then be listed on his credit report.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been 8 weeks since you won the item?! 6 weeks of "excuses" and then 2 of no communication. That's absurd, and plenty of time for someone to either deliver or refund your money--it's quite obvious you've been scammed. In the meantime, hang him out to dry here, post up his info. Not only will it serve as warning of who to avoid, but you may find someone who knows the guy in Chattanooga. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you mail the check via US Mail? If so - call them; mail fraud is a federal crime.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: eBay Transaction Gone Bad - What to do? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pesonally, I think I would get more satisfaction to see him in person and beat the living $%&* out of him with a sock full of pennies a la Charles Bronson aka the Vigilante. But hey, that's just me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call him again and tell him that he has 24 hours to ship the wheels FedEx and give you a tracking number and if you don't get a tracking number and the wheels as described with in 48 you will post his name here, contact the USPS, and start other legal proceedings. In the meantime, start collecting every scrap of info you have and make notes about every conversation and email you had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM me his ebay user and the Auction ID. I'll forward it to my wife (who works for Ebay) and ask how she can help.
Quote Reply
Re: eBay Transaction Gone Bad - What to do? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KEJ - Thanks, APS looks like a good resource if I have to file a small claims action.

Record - Yep it was mailed via USPS... do you think that the postal investigators will follow up on a $1,000?

AR - The seller is well known in the industry and he used to be on this board a lot. I am sure that Tom D. knows this guy. I am trying not to be a complete asshole about this in public... but trust me I really want to post is name.

----------

Quote Reply
Re: eBay Transaction Gone Bad - What to do? [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much. - Ron

----------

Quote Reply
Re: eBay Transaction Gone Bad - What to do? [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried that I gave him 24 hours yesterday morning and still nothing.

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well start posting and calling then. I know you say a $1000 is not the end of the world for you but it is a sizeable chunk and 8 weeks is beyond reasonable patience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got scammed and contacted the attorney generals office of the state (NC). They put some pressure on the person for mail fraud. I ended up getting a refund mailed out to me. You are lucky because you have contact information that is good. Do the whole reverse look up on the phone number etc. The more info you give to the AG, the better - Good Luck. I think that 8 weeks might be too long to stay protected by ebay but def check. Anyway, they'll only cover up to $200. - E
Quote Reply
Re: eBay Transaction Gone Bad - What to do? [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8 weeks is the limit on the eBay protection. I filed the the complaint with eBay on April 11th so I made the deadline. The seller still hasn't responded to the eBay complaint.

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, I say you gave him enough warning, and gave him yet another notice a day ago. I would post his name here. someone here is bound to know him, I would think that the added pressure might just work. then , when he sends the wheels or the refund, delete your post with his name. if that still doesn't work, do the mail fraud/ prosecution thing. I think posting his name and info here will honestly be MUCH faster. if he is innocent, he can give his side of the story on the forum. we got your back, man!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron-

Sorry to hear about your situation. I know its twisting the knife, but stay clear of cashier's checks. As much as I hate PayPal, it's the "safest" method.

You have a few options....looks like you are on the right page. Heck, you've been pretty patient. I'd toss the name out there!!!!

Did this person give you a reason why they haven't shipped?????

Options:

http://www.squaretrade.com/

http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried that I gave him 24 hours yesterday morning and still nothing.

Ok then, you've been more than patient. You have every right to post up his info and I doubt anyone here would consider that an asshole move. Whether he be known in the industry or not, he should be just as accountable. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: eBay Transaction Gone Bad - What to do? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but stay clear of cashier's checks

Yeah, that and zero feedback are huge red flags for me.

Did this person give you a reason why they haven't shipped?????

I was wondering this too? What did he say during your 6 weeks of communication?

I wish you good luck in getting this resolved.

I'd post his name/screen name here as well. It might help one of us in the future avoid being ripped off, when he uses Slowtwitch to prove he's an upstanding citizen.

And perhaps you're not the first one of us he's done something like this to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out him on slowtwitch -- burn the witch!

---------------

------
One of the few who actually finds Kangaroo entertaining.
Last edited by: Rollin' Thunder: Apr 19, 05 14:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate cashier's checks also but the guy was/is a Slowtwitcher so I felt pretty safe. Hell I would still like to believe that he is going to make good on this which is why I havn't dragged his name through the mud. As for the reasons the wheels havn't shipped... back when he was talking to me he had a new reason every other day.

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron, I live in Chattanooga. PM me and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just call/email him, say you've had enough and that he has 15 minutes from the second you hit "send" to respond to you, or you'll contact the TN AG, post his name on ST, and everything else mentioned (I'd avoid beating him with a sock full of pennies, though...that could lead to some legal trouble for you...good idea though...nothing better than ol' fashioned vigilante justice!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert is in Chat and seems badass. How about hiring him as the Bounty Hunter! He'll have to grow a pretty long mullet, but I bet he's up for the challenge......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure that Herbert personally knows this guy.

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that others are asking you to out the ST-er and you're still waiting/hoping he makes it good. Would you at least consider outing the EBay ID of this person? I'm planning on making a major wheel purchase soon and we should all be advised of any EBayers who are going to make us wait 8 weeks for wheels, even if they eventually deliver.
Quote Reply

Prev Next