Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
dry land swimming workouts?
Quote | Reply
so quite a few pools seem to be closing at the moment, so I was wondering if people could point me to some good dry land swimming workouts to do for the next few weeks to retain some sort of swim fitness. unfortunately I will not have access to a pool for at least 2 weeks. possibly longer.

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [m_dc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are lots of threads on here about using a Vasa ergometer or trainer. I've contributed on a bunch of those. I've used both, and with either I was able to "only get wet when I raced", and actually be as fast if not faster than when I did pool only training. (It is easy to get in more training time, as you get back any time related to getting to/from the pool. So even if it is less specific training, the volume makes up for it.)

Interestingly though is that I also used stretch cords. I went through a period where I was travelling for work, so I bought a light and mid-weight set of stretch cords. I'd hang them from the back of a hotel door, and do whatever workout I would have done had I been going to a pool or using the Vasa. I'd use one, the other, or both combined for sprint intervals. And I had the same results as with the Vasa; no change in swim fitness when it came time to race. (I did workouts up to 1.5 hours. Put a computer on the floor and watch videos if that helps.)

Note that the longest period I went "stretch cord only" was about 3 weeks. But even then I maintained all the swim fitness I had. Note that with stretch cords they will put a lot of stress on your shoulder for the return stroke. For the most part I just let my arm follow the same path as the pull for the return in order to avoid too much stress on the shoulder.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shiela Tamorina has several good ones in her book series "swim speed secrets".

I tend to keep it simple and just do something that simulates 20x100 (:20) or similar. If I want to do 50s, then I'll increase the resistance to the next harder chords. I also use a metronome set to my typical stroke rate for whatever distance in emulating.
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think stretch chords get your heart rate high enough to keep the blood vessels "in shape" to deliver oxygen to your upper body.

The problem in swimming is NOT Strength. If it was 12 year old age group girls would not be smoking us. They have more power for their weight than us meaning they can deliver more oxygen for every ounce of meat on their body than us.

The stretch chords will help us improve technique. I think you need something aerobic for the upper body. A lot of my best swimming in tris has come across great XC ski seasons. Right now, I see the concept2 rowing erg maintaining all the upper body aerobic fitness than swimming can every load me up with. Some specificity on pulling down versus pulling up is the only delta. Stretch chords would take care of that.
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't think stretch chords get your heart rate high enough to keep the blood vessels "in shape" to deliver oxygen to your upper body.

Then you aren't trying hard enough! There's no magic to being in the water to make you work.

But, here's the thing. You might be surprised at the pull force generated while swimming 1:30 pace. For me it's 50-70 lbs when I swim tethered to the pool edge. Think about that for a second...if you are swimming 36-40s 50s, you are probably pulling 80-100 lbs or so, 22 reps per arm, rest 20 seconds and repeat 20 times. That's not far off from a strength workout.

I err on the lower end of that for stretch chords... And then adjust the tension by backing up until I'm appropriately tired at the end of 1:40. My heart rate gets up there and I sweat like a pig. Again, I use a metronome to ensure I'm at the right rate for whatever pace I'm simulating.

I used this method 2x per week last year in my 100/100/100. I promise if you pull hard, quickly... You'll get tired and your heart rate will get up there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m_dc wrote:
so quite a few pools seem to be closing at the moment, so I was wondering if people could point me to some good dry land swimming workouts to do for the next few weeks to retain some sort of swim fitness. unfortunately I will not have access to a pool for at least 2 weeks. possibly longer.

thanks!

Samira my gym-coach, has been doing some workouts for no-gym. She is taking a swim-specific course this semester i can ask her to post a workout for swimmers. Here's a good general workout as an example:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9sVGD_gZB1/

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

The problem in swimming is NOT Strength. If it was 12 year old age group girls would not be smoking us. They have more power for their weight than us meaning they can deliver more oxygen for every ounce of meat on their body than us.

The stretch chords will help us improve technique. I think you need something aerobic for the upper body. A lot of my best swimming in tris has come across great XC ski seasons. Right now, I see the concept2 rowing erg maintaining all the upper body aerobic fitness than swimming can every load me up with. Some specificity on pulling down versus pulling up is the only delta. Stretch chords would take care of that.

I agree for the most part with this. Vasa and stretch cords really hit muscular endurance, but it's a lot harder to get sustained aerobic activity, at least from what I've found. Sure, I can get my HR to LT on my Vasa, but that requires a very hard effort from me - the type of effort that I've learned is best reserved only for races due to burnout and fatigue. I don't focus on HR at all on my Vasa, I focus on giving my arms/lats/delts the beatdown they need to not weaken over distance.

The stretch cords actually definitely give more pure short-burst 'strength' than the Vasa. The max resistance on a Vasa erg is still too low to do weightlifting type 10-15 rep pulls to failure, but it's not designed for that. Whereas on stretch cords you can easily get cords that will be hard like weights, meaning you will be at failure at 15 or less reps. The truth though is that that type of low-rep strength is really good for sprinters, and not helpful for triathlon distance swimming where you have to pull for 20+ minutes. Kinda like doing heavy leg press sets of <15 reps won't improve your 5k run pace, and probably not even your bike 40k pace.

Luckily, we triathletes get plenty of aerobic training from run/bike, which I found DOES cross over to swimming if you have the muscular endurance in the swim motion to tap into it.
Last edited by: lightheir: Mar 14, 20 15:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got an antique Nordic Track ski machine... and its surprising how close the arm cables are, to a swim pull stroke. Especially if you lean foreword, think swim, and specifically mimic the stroke. If my pool closes, that machine will be put back in my workout rotation.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jump on the bike for base cardiovascular aerobic work, stretch cords or light weights (w very high reps) for peripheral adaptations.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to envision the stretch cord workout. Is this done on laying on your back or standing back against the door?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For some swim simulation exercise when I can't get out of the house, I rigged up some light dumbbell weights to ropes, through overhead swivelling pulleys and connected to some handles for grip. One for each arm.
So I'm pulling down on the ropes (more or less, I stand back a bit because the weights tend to swing around a bit if not careful). Can sort of simulate a swim stroke, though you have to be careful not to overextend because you're getting the full weight at the catch which can strain the shoulders a bit. Butterfly stroke seems to work best.
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [Fat Pelican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do it standing facing the door, or tree/pole/some thing to which you attached the anchor.

There are many makers of cords. I use the Finis brand. Just search for "finis stretch cords" and you can see pictures and videos of them in use.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stretch cords for sure , or a Vasa trainer, are best for maintaining direct swimming motion fitness.

Jump rope if you want to do aerobic fitness while also using some upper body. Plenty of youtube videos to keep things fresh, mix in plyometrics like jump squats and pushups.

Build swim-related strength through pullups, straight arm press downs, lateral raises, dips, etc, depending on what gym equipment you have access to.

One specific workout I like to do to incorporate upper body with aerobic work is to run on a treadmill for 5min to 1mile, jump off and do a short circuit set like 12 pullups, 20 goblet squats, 20 pushups or dips, then back on the treadmill for another cycle (no real rest between exercises longer than a sip from a water bottle). Repeat for 30-60 min. You could also throw some swimming stretch cords between the run segments instead of the circuit.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know where you are, most of pools here are closed (DC area), my guess is they probably won't be open for at least a few months unless this whole thing blows over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting many of my local pools closing so reading through here and guess I'll be doing some band work for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Vasa, but think the following applies to both the Vasa and the Stretch Cords(if you lay down, not sure about standing):

Look at the videos Sheila Taormina has online and consider purchasing(or making if you are handy) a HALO template. Putting the HALO in place and working to generate more force in the high elbow position has been a big help to my improvement over the last couple of months.

I've been hitting intervals and shortening the rest progressively over workouts. Once the interval needed approaches zero, progress to more resistance and repeat the process.
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Vasa jacking up pricing because all the pools are closed or is there some other explication?

https://vasatrainer.com/...er-swimming-machine/
Last edited by: dasOlind: Mar 16, 20 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [dasOlind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's such a small company that I doubt that have much in stock.

You can legitimately get just as good a workout with stretch cords, though. No need for such a fancy machine.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was the normal list prices? I just checked and read the lamest excuse they gave for a price increase, that company can burn in hell now for all I care. Agree about the swim cords, they kept me swim ready while I was in Afghanistan or Iraq.
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

You can legitimately get just as good a workout with stretch cords, though. No need for such a fancy machine.

As a diehard Vasa user, I'd disagree with this, but I will comment that for short-term swim replacement/supplementation, cords are fine.

The problems with cords become a real bugger once you intend to do 'real' volume with it. Like 1 to several hours or more per week. At that point, the reversed power curve of cords (weakest in the catch phase) becomes a big problem - you literally feel that you're ingraining incorrect neuromuscular habits after doing that for long periods of time.

Once I was doing cords for even 2hrs/week, I felt it was such a low yield activity, that I should as well skip it altogether and cycle or run, even though most of my gains to be had were on the swim at that point. It was then I decided the $2k Vasa investment was to be made - I didn't want to waste potentially hundreds of hours on such a low yield activity.

I don't know to date anyone on ST or elsewhere that has done cords for hours per week regularly, whereas I and others have used a Vasa easily that much, although I'm more than happy to hear from successful cord users if any are reading this.

Still, I do think cords are fine for short-term use or shorter pure strength workouts. I still take them on trips with no pool access, but there's no way that I feel these cord workouts remotely equal a pool workout or a true Vasa erg workout for actual swim replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dasOlind wrote:
Is Vasa jacking up pricing because all the pools are closed or is there some other explication?

https://vasatrainer.com/...er-swimming-machine/

No idea what is going on with their pricing. I bought the ANT+ and think the price is the same as it was last year.
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbd wrote:
https://youtu.be/ztmWxvDcDM0

Just wanted to bump this, pretty good video.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered one with ANt+. It was $2500 including overnight shipping. How much did they used to cost?

I’ve kind of wanted one for a while for days when I’m alone with my sleeping son and can’t get to the pool. So this was all the nudge needed. I expect pools will be closed for as much as 8-10 weeks.

Any good threads on how to make the most of a Vasa you can share?
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any opinions on stretch cords with handles vs paddles? About to order a pair.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply

Prev Next