Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

drilling Speedplay holes in Giro Empire SLX
Quote | Reply
My Giro Empire SLX have 3 holes and my zero aero Speedplay cleats have 4.
So I use the adapter.
Sebastian Kienle mentioned in his newest interview with ST the possibility of drilling holes in the shoe according to the Speedplay standard in order to be able to refrain from the adapter, such bringing the shoe nearer to the pedal axis.

Does anyone have any experience in drilling such holes in the Empire SLX ? (you do not see anything on the inner sole, so it seems you have to drill blindly from outside? Does that work? Can you cut thread in the holes then?)
Quote Reply
Re: drilling Speedplay holes in Giro Empire SLX [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
So I use the adapter.
Sebastian Kienle mentioned in his newest interview with ST the possibility of drilling holes in the shoe according to the Speedplay standard in order to be able to refrain from the adapter, such bringing the shoe nearer to the pedal axis.

Does anyone have any experience in drilling such holes in the Empire SLX ? (you do not see anything on the inner sole, so it seems you have to drill blindly from outside? Does that work? Can you cut thread in the holes then?)

One problem you can't avoid even if you drill holes is the difference between a Speedplay designed shoe and a non-Speedplay shoe. A Speedplay designed shoe has the flat platform piece to accept the Speedplay "cleat" mechanism. A normal shoe is curved slightly.

The Speedplay adapters included in their pedal/cleat products are meant to make up for that curvature AND the difference in holes.

So, you could drill the holes, but you'd have that problem. Also, even if you tried to add a washer or something under each of the 4 drilled holes, the curve of the shoe would probably interfere with the pedal engaging to full depth in the cleat. Either meaning it won't engage OR it would and you'd destroy your shoes over a short time.

I thought about this also when I bought my Empire ACC lace shoes and Speedplay zero/aero setup.

I guess you could try to use a dremel and flatten out the curvature instead to get it on there. But I don't have the kind of money to take a dremel to a nice pair of bike shoes.

I'd try it if I had a trashed pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out what WattShop is doing? They are reducing stack but still have to print an adapter for the shoes to make a flat platform for the Speedplay cleat.
Quote Reply
Re: drilling Speedplay holes in Giro Empire SLX [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't you use the shims made for non-speedplay shoes?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: drilling Speedplay holes in Giro Empire SLX [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Couldn't you use the shims made for non-speedplay shoes?

I’m guessing the goal of the original poster would be to get the shoe stack as low as possible for potential aero benefits

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: drilling Speedplay holes in Giro Empire SLX [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the shims don't really raise the clear, they just make curvature of the bottom of the shoe flat.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
So I use the adapter.

Sebastian also can get a new pair of shoes if he screws it up. This is one where I'd measure 30 times before drilling anything. Or buy an adapter, get everything lined up and tested over a few rides, then mark the holes off of that position, or even clamp the now-properly placed adapter in place, remove the screws, and drill using the adapter holes as a jig.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.shopforwatts.co.uk/...riant=21856716456041

You can use these shims for the curvature, stack height reduced by 3mm. They can also be custom made to adjust for leg length discrepancy. I'm looking at going that way for mine.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: drilling Speedplay holes in Giro Empire SLX [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use the adapter for a bit and drill small pilot holes with the cleat off.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply