Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

does cortisone break up scar tissue?
Quote | Reply
I'm just over 9 weeks out from a second knee scope. The doc fixed my problem on my lateral side but I have this hard knot on my medial portion of the knee that won't go away. I've been told it's scar tissue. I think my PT's gave up on me and not sure what to do. I've had graston, dry needling, used neomuscular unit, etc.Anyhow it's limiting me to getting back to where I was. I feel like the knee cap hits the hard lump and creates a sharp pain, then I'm walking worse for the rest of the day and the next. I actually haven't walked normal for awhile. Last time I visited my doc, 4 weeks back I asked for cortisone then and he said more PT and if this limited my pt he would consider the injection earlier. Well I'm tempted to call because I'm going no where. I know the cortisone is a band aid and I'm still doing the the minor exercises, but I need this leg to get stronger. I don't know where else to go. After surgery I was told I should even be able to run down the road. Heck, I just want to bike for now.
Quote Reply
Re: does cortisone break up scar tissue? [chillybear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it does. But it does so with discrimination between the scar tissue that's the healed part in case of a tear, and the 'accumulated' scar tissue (imagine putting glue, and remove the excess...except corticosteroids do this indiscriminatingly). So, there are risks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check this and discuss with your provider:

https://journals.sagepub.com/...177/1941738109343159
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, cortisone does not "break up scar tissue" .

The doc would simply be using it as an anti-inflammatory.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Re: does cortisone break up scar tissue? [PTinAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The doc did offer Toradol several weeks back, but I opted for 2 weeks of naproxen instead. I guess I'll find out next week if cortisone can get me over my pt hump. I've gotten no where after 2 weeks and its been 9.5 weeks. It would be nice to get rid of the bouy or actually ride a bike
Quote Reply